Turn on thread page Beta

Lucid Dreaming watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    He he, no. You can visit them, but what you are visiting is whatever you have of them in your brain...your memories, I suppose. Your brain is extremely powerful, and in the dream state it is not bound by the watering down of memories that you get in the waking state...so it appears real. By that, I mean this. Picture a friend of yours now...what you are seeing in your mind is a heavily watered down version of your friend's image, and any interaction with this friend in your mind (fantasy, as it were) is also heavily watered down...enough for you to know that it's not actually your friend you are seeing. The reason for this is evolutionary. It would be disadvatageous for you to be unable to see/hear/feel a difference between memories and reality, because you wouldn't know what is what. In your dream state, however, your brain doesn't have this 'watering down' mechanism. Your memories are almost carbon-copies of reality....they are not watered down at all. That is why dreams can appear so real. So in a lucid dream, you can effectively create a fantasy world like you do in the waking state, only instead of the memories your brain uses to create this fantasy world being watered down, they are almost carbon copies of reality.

I suppose it's like a hallucination, only you are in control.
    Thanks for the explanation. I only asked, because I think I had a lucid dream (well, a dream anyway!) of me visiting my younger sister and I was watching her sleep. In my dream, I walked thru her wall like a ghost into her bedroom and just stood there watching her sleep. The next day, when I spoke with my sister on the phone, I just out of curiosity asked her if she had any dreams last night and she replied that she had a dream about me watching her sleep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaughingBro)
    My way is called daydreaming. :sexface:
    A day dream will never even be 1/1000th the vividity of a sleeping dream, no matter how hard you try.

ReputationRep:
    It's uber decent!!

ReputationRep:
    I have a dream that one day, I will be able to have a lucid dream so I won't have a wet dream. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    The most recent lucid dream I had was amazing; partly sparked from having watched The Butterfly Effect a few days before. I was completely aware I was dreaming from a very early stage and put myself into a series of the strangest situations to, effectively, solve problems. Except, as in line with the film, things didn't go quite right the first time on each situation - so I was able to go back, start again and learn from my previous errors. One example; I had to pull a man from a burning car. The first time I did so but then realised that he was only the passenger so went back for the driver, only for the car to blow up and I died. The the scene restarted and, now aware of the time factor, I was able to save both men. If you're already thinking this is beyond ridiculous I haven't even got to the most random thing - the man I pulled from the car before going back for his driver was Stevie Wonder...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaughingBro)
    I have a dream that one day, I will be able to have a lucid dream so I won't have a wet dream. :awesome:
    :rofl:

Sucker. :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    The majority of my dreams have, for years now, been varying degrees of lucid.

I hate people getting all 'deep' when talking about this. I'm sure they're rad at the time but most people's interesting/'weird' dreams all sound so lame when they talk about them. Thank God I have no idea where to get started on explaining mine and as such don't fall into this TRAP.

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody else do this?

I do it often. It's brilliant, if not a tad scary at times. Not scary in that it can turn into a nightmare, but scary in the sense that it makes you question 'real life' and everything that is in it.

For those who don't know, lucid dreaming is when you become conscious within your dream, so in other words you are aware that you are dreaming. The realisation that you are dreaming allows you to control your dream and everything in it. You can fly, meet people, have sex, visit places...anything you want. And it feels as real and almost as clear as the waking world. It's like being awake when sleeping, but in your own mind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucid_dream
    Happened just this morning, funnily enough...

...as it does almost every night for me. :yes::sigh:

All that you have said in this first post is true, yet the experience is more than physical. It links between the mental and emotional boundaries as well, causing a gradual realisation for your body and mind that when you are in a Lucid Dream state, that you whatever you do does not affect the real-world until the time comes when the link must be severed-- normally around several minutes before you actually wake up.

They are very interesting but they don't always make sense. They seem to distort -- at least, for me -- between the bizzare and believeble. As in real-life, the physical instances of what we do in our dailyt grind is replicated in some odd manner by our mind-- usually on a whim we cannot control, as we never `fully` control ourself during Lucid Dream, only our perspective of it. Fighting, eating, running, *******, touching, feeling and imagining are all a wonderful part of the experience.

Scarily enough, whenever my dream has almost come to a close, I find my body freezes up inordinately. I cannot move to save my life so I must stuggle to keep moving. Struggle...fight...push on: it becomes a regular cycle almost every time. I also find that I'll be in one place for a moment and then transported to another place in an instance without realising what has happened. The world changes dynamically around me and if I don't keep up with it, I find my link starts to weaken and the physical effects start to act up.

Luckily, however, when they do start to act up, I'll be safely sound asleep and not in the real-world where what has happened really will **** me up good. And when it's dreams where reality and imagination combine in the most mysterious ways, you should really be thanking your mind that it gives you peace of mind afterwards...the *******...

ReputationRep:
    sounds pretty pretentious to me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dnator)
    Don't you normally post threads about hating right wingers?
    This

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes, it usually involved me and Kate Beckinsale

ReputationRep:
    Not often, I like it though.

ReputationRep:
    Subbed

ReputationRep:
    I have done this before.. Its cool! you are dreaming but you can control it.. and you can do what you want..

ReputationRep:
    I've had two recently in as many nights. Really weird, but amazing at the same time!

ReputationRep:
    I've had them quite a few times actually. Really awesome. The sex seems so real Best feeling back when I was still a virgin....

But the waking up makes you disappointed...

ReputationRep:
    Bump.

I didn't have one last night, much to my disappointment. I had some vivid dreams but just didn't become aware that I was dreaming.

Hopefully tonight I'll go Lucid. For some reason I want to go swimming in a sea somewhere, although if I do become lucid I'll probably do what I always do and spend the whole dream having sex with Jessica Alba.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trickz)
    What if you mix up dreams and reality and do something stupid?

American Dad actually did an episode on that once, and i have to give this a try.

ReputationRep:
    Bump.

I didn't have one last night, much to my disappointment. I had some vivid dreams but just didn't become aware that I was dreaming.

Hopefully tonight I'll go Lucid. For some reason I want to go swimming in a sea somewhere, although if I do become lucid I'll probably do what I always do and spend the whole dream having sex with Jessica Alba.
    The latter half is very similar to how a lot of mine run - except with Cheryl Cole and not Jessica Alba. Still...each to his own!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -WhySoSerious?)
    In what sense? o.0
    It`ll be like.. revising and sleeping.. at the same time. :woo:

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.