which set of supporters are the most deluded ? Watch

Johnni
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Newcastle, Arsenal & even my own club Liverpool. The latter 2 are holding onto better years and alot behind Chelsea & Man U yet still think they have a chance each season. Newcastle fans just have the notion that being a big club in terms of no. of supporters/stadium means you will be successful in football terms cos they are a 'big club'.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
SC.UNTHORPE UNITED

I bet all their supporters drive around in Skodas
What's wrong with Skodas? I thought they turned good when Volkswagen bought them? I'll be getting myself a Lotus Elan/Elise when I graduate. Living up to one of the stereotypes of Chelsea fans.
jakemittle
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Manchester City by far..
Economist
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Spurs and Man City joint followed by Liverpool
white_haired_wizard
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Newcastle and Liverpool. Newcastle by some distance mind you.
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Krakatoa)
Newcastle.
What have they ever done,of any significance,ever?
Well, the current English Champions (and FA Cup holders) haven't won any more league titles or FA Cups than Newcastle have :p:

Little of note in the past fifteen years. Played in the Champions League before Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool. Were (Manchester) United's only rivals, league-wise in the mid 90s. Erm.....won a few FA Cups like 50 years ago.....erm...... :o:

Oh, oh...I know! First team to qualify from their Champions League group after losing their first three games!! Don't know if they're still the only team mind....

In defence of Newcastle, I don't know of any fan who thinks they're a "big team" any more. I think people need to start actually talking to a range of football fans and stop listening to whatever the tabloids and Sky Sports tells them (who rely on outdated stereotypes from more than a decade ago).

Go back fifteen years and, depsite their lack of success in terms of winning silverware, they possibly were a "big team". Everyone's second favourite team (although that honour goes to any team who are "rivalling" Man Utf tbf), spending big (setting world transfer records), and they played attacking football which on their day could rival any team in Europe, second largest club stadium in the country with huge attendance* Just no trophy success.

That is certainly not the case now. Now their finances aren't what they once were, they don't have the same attacking football, and are a shadow of what they were. Fans recognise this and are upset by it.

Instead of relying on media crap, I can actually walk around Newcastle and listen to the opinions of real fans, most of whome agreed they deserved to be relegated or at least had no complaints about it,

When they were relegated last season, they were relegated with dignity. I heard no fan say that they didn't deserve to go down, or that they were "too big" to go down (although since getting promoted, I've heard a few say they were never a Championship team....)

*About the attendance, this isn't too special as you have to take into considering they're the only team in one of the country's largest conurbations (Tyneside). So that's almost 900,000 people there, not to mention a wider hinterland of Northumberland. Might be different if Newcastle East and West were still around.

Every team has their fair share of deluded fans. Sort of comes with the terrirory of being a fan.

(Original post by mau5)
Common misconception that Newcastle fans are deluded which is hugely exagerated and potrayed negatively by the media who also coin phrases like "Geordie Nation" which no Newcastle fan actually uses.
That, basically.

I bet all their supporters drive around in Skodas :o:[/center]
Skodas are amazing now, actually, one of the best cars around now that they're German. I won't have anyone **** off Skodas.

(Original post by Respect4Acting)
Arsenal
Liverpool

In that order, but I don't know if i can call Liverpool fans deluded, they haven't won the league for over 20 years now, they can't possibly expect to win it at any season.
Really? :holmes:
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Johnni)
Newcastle, Arsenal & even my own club Liverpool. The latter 2 are holding onto better years and alot behind Chelsea & Man U yet still think they have a chance each season. Newcastle fans just have the notion that being a big club in terms of no. of supporters/stadium means you will be successful in football terms cos they are a 'big club'.
See my above post. Know many Newcastle supporters?
jumpingjesusholycow
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by River85)
Skodas are amazing now, actually, one of the best cars around now that they're German. I won't have anyone **** off Skodas.
I still wouldn't buy a Skoda in a million years but mind, who said I was ****ging off Skoda?

tbh though, their logo...:lolwut:

O.o

NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
tbh though, their logo...

O.o

Vauxhall is probably my favourite for car logos then. Ford and Audi have the most boring logos but I don't hold it against them.
Erik.
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by rorydaredking)
All 5 of those choices are ****. Leeds know where they are. Newcastle are a bit deluded IMO. United. wtf. Spurs. WTF.
Man City. They think they are a big club and deserve to win stuff. Their tea towel wearing antics after teh sheikhs takeover illustrates their delusion
City are a big club by a lot of standards. Large fanbase and stadium, won every domestic honour going, highest club attendance is 84,000, breaking British transfer records as early as the 1970s, got 30,000+ attendances even after dropping to the third tier of English football.

Of course 'big' is relative, but I doubt there are any City fans worthy of the title who actually think we are on a par with Barcelona, Milan, United etc in that respect. That's a negation of fact that not even the worst delusion can cause. Those teams have ten times the trophies and fanbase.

And no team 'deserves' to win anything until they do. But City fans probably feel we're overdue some success after 34 years of missing out and still having incredibly loyal support, and lots of fans of other clubs probably feel they are overdue some too for their own (often similar) reasons - that hardly constitutes delusion, it's pretty par for the course.

The real deluded ones are those who feel that just because of the history and perceived 'status' of their club based on past glories, they are entitled to win everything or to have the pick of the best players without competition from those who share their ambition if not their success.

and wearing tea towels after the takeover, while pretty naff and embarassing, has absolutely nothing to do with delusion and makes me wonder whether you actually know what delusion means and thus whether the entire post I just wrote was really worth the effort I expended
GetTheeToANunnery
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by mau5)
Common misconception that Newcastle fans are deluded which is hugely exagerated and potrayed negatively by the media who also coin phrases like "Geordie Nation" which no Newcastle fan actually uses.
http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20100...240137_2047576

"A team that truly represents the values of the Geordie Nation.."

Gawd even the official website spouts it.

Definitely Newcastle United, then I'd say Liverpool and Spurs.
member159703
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Erik.)
City are a big club by a lot of standards. Large fanbase and stadium, won every domestic honour going, highest club attendance is 84,000, breaking British transfer records as early as the 1970s, got 30,000+ attendances even after dropping to the third tier of English football.

Of course 'big' is relative, but I doubt there are any City fans worthy of the title who actually think we are on a par with Barcelona, Milan, United etc in that respect. That's a negation of fact that not even the worst delusion can cause. Those teams have ten times the trophies and fanbase.

And no team 'deserves' to win anything until they do. But City fans probably feel we're overdue some success after 34 years of missing out and still having incredibly loyal support, and lots of fans of other clubs probably feel they are overdue some too for their own (often similar) reasons - that hardly constitutes delusion, it's pretty par for the course.

The real deluded ones are those who feel that just because of the history and perceived 'status' of their club based on past glories, they are entitled to win everything or to have the pick of the best players without competition from those who share their ambition if not their success.

and wearing tea towels after the takeover, while pretty naff and embarassing, has absolutely nothing to do with delusion and makes me wonder whether you actually know what delusion means and thus whether the entire post I just wrote was really worth the effort I expended
Yep I suppose the tea towel thing wasnt an example of delusion, but more of stupidity, which is sortof related to delusion. Excellent post btw, I was expecting neg rep and replies of the "youre an xxxx" ilk.
V1NY
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm going to beat you all with a crowbar.
Singh_2
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by V1NY)
I'm going to beat you all with a crowbar.
Don't be so deluded; how are you going to find me?
V1NY
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Singh_2)
Don't be so deluded; how are you going to find me?
Who knew you possessed such wit? An amazing joke, it has to be said.
jumpingjesusholycow
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
Vauxhall is probably my favourite for car logos then. Ford and Audi have the most boring logos but I don't hold it against them.
It's gonna have to be the lamborghini logo for me :sogood:

:yep:
ish90an
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
England and Liverpool.
rajandkwameali
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Liverpool - twenty years with no league, and they won't win it soon.

Newcastle - their only claim to big club status is in fan base terms.

Tottenham - don't have the true tradition/history of a big club, and hence are the poor relation among the traditionally big English clubs. Chelsea can now argue they have more (or at least equal) tradition to Spurs now.

Arsenal - too blind with hero worship to see that Arsene is losing his way lol.

Man United - the second biggest club in the world, behind Real Madrid. All of the reasons that United fans cite for being the world's biggest club Real Madrid have. Global brand name, finance, global fan base, and Real have more European cups. And OK, Real won 6 in the 1950s, but since the start of the modern Champions League in 1992, Real has won it more times than United has.
Jim-ie
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
rangers.

they actually believe their existence as a club is beneficial to football.
Jim-ie
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by rorydaredking)
Yep I suppose the tea towel thing wasnt an example of delusion, but more of stupidity, which is sortof related to delusion. Excellent post btw, I was expecting neg rep and replies of the "youre an xxxx" ilk.
tbh if i was in manchester when the takeover happened id have been going up in bed sheets and tea towels and sandals with fake tan on.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1618)
79.2%
Leave (425)
20.8%

Watched Threads