Turn on thread page Beta

Question for the girls regarding height issues. watch

Announcements

(Original post by Robert Paulson)
    Are you kidding me? So if Zac Efron (as much as I really am not a fan of the guy) was not famous, he'd have difficulty getting girls? I've seen loads of guys like 5'7 with girls far hotter than the average TSR girl...
    Why do even the shorter girls have such a preference for the 6ft+ guys though? Is it just something they just say because i doubt it is?

ReputationRep:
    No, I'm saying that you would probably find me attractive (conceited, perhaps) but I would not date you, because I don't date girls with idle preferences.
    Quite conceited, with no picture age or even where you're from.

I don't date men who are that ridiculous, so I doubt it'd work anyways

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SurveyingTheChaos)
    Zac Efron's 5'10" so that analogy is slightly invalid. And of course he'd have trouble getting girls, he looks like a toddler that's been repeatedly slapped in the face. People like the characters he plays, not him. Like how Hugh Laurie only became sexy when he started playing House.

Anyway, I digress - yeah, us girls are occasionally shallow. Isn't everyone? But when it comes down to it, if a girl really likes you she isn't going to turn you down 'cause you're 5'7". Of the two guys I know who I'd consider dating, one's 6'2" and the other's 5'8". We all have preferences but in reality, that's not how we make lasting decisions.
    He's 5'8. Don't sound a jealous little sod either, evidently a lot of girls find him attractive. Bah, to use another example. Johnny Depp. He's 5'9 (quick google search confirms that - http://www.celebheights.com/s/Johnny-Depp-262.html). If he wasn't famous and went to say the Netherlands, he would be considered short. To suggest suddenly a majority of women would not find him attractive and would take the 6'1 male instead, is just ridiculous.

It goes: Face >>> Personality >>>>>>>>>> Height.

I don't think it's you're height that girls don't like you it sounds more like your attitude and confidence but I'm 5 ft 7 so I guess I'm not wanted
    :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    He's 5'8. Don't sound a jealous little sod either, evidently a lot of girls find him attractive. Bah, to use another example. Johnny Depp. He's 5'9 (quick google search confirms that - http://www.celebheights.com/s/Johnny-Depp-262.html). If he wasn't famous and went to say the Netherlands, he would be considered short. To suggest suddenly a majority of women would not find him attractive and would take the 6'1 male instead, is just ridiculous.

It goes: Face >>> Personality >>>>>>>>>> Height.
    Yeah, little girls, with the average age of 12. And that's because they've been brainwashed by the High School Musical brand.
    And according to my google search, Johnny Depp is 5'10", which is not generally considered short in the UK, which is (presumably) the target sample of the guy asking this question. But I do agree that with someone as gorgeous as Johnny Depp people wouldn't care about height. But honestly (no offense to you, i've got nothing against you) what are the chances that this guy looks like Johnny Depp?

Anyway, I don't know why we're arguing. We generally agree that a shorter guy can still get girls.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 6'1/6'2 and when I'm about in London, I don't feel that tall.
    Feel sorry for you OP

(Original post by Narik)
    I'm your height.
    So I shouldn't bother replying.
    That probably made you feel worse.
    Sorry.
    :getmecoat:
    am i right in saying girls want protection in a man?

if so than height isnt the only factor

infact if your 6 ft 3 and skinny thats much worse than being 5 ft 8 but stocky and firm.

broad shoulders large biceps and a large waist are much more important factors in protecting a girl than something that nobody can change like height.

girls who think that a 6 ft 3 guy could protect them over a 5 ft 10 boxer like me are ******* brainless i say.

they really do piss me off.

3/4 inches means jack **** if i do boxing and have a 52" chest

ReputationRep:
    I'm 168cm tall, but I've grown to live with it. You can't change it now, but you can work on your confidence and learn to love yourself a bit more. There's LOTS of girls who would be your height or shorter, so don't worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    1. Average male height is 5'10"
    2. The last two guys I had a crush on were 5'3" and 5'7"

So no, I don't think height is a problem lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm a guy and i'm 1.72m, i'm short and i find it hard to get over, like it is a real confidence problem for me which i need to get over. Be honest, and this is to the girls under 5ft7 only (i'm only attracted to girls shorter than me) , would you go out with someone of my height?
    This sounds very retarded but i can't really get to grips with it. I'm 20 soon and i've stopped growing.

Im 5ft2 and i would date a guy your height

And I personally think that around your height is quite tall.

ReputationRep:
    ANOTHER HEIGHT THREAD.. WAYYYYHAYYYYYYYYYY !!

I'm 5ft 9 and the thought of going out with a guy shorter than me slightly cringes me out buuut if they're nice, funny, good looking and clever then I wouldn't think twice !

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_214948.html

ReputationRep:
    What is it with all these threads about ******* height? :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by igohardondis)
    your moist allow givin da guy sympathy im 5 ft 10 styl since when does 3 inches make a difference when your shoulders are more important dan dat G, if mans lanky get knocked da **** out . girls want protection styl and height aint da only factor in that, if your lanky or skinny dat aint cuttin it G u need muscles and broad sholders straight so jump off dis cos i got all dat, pricks dat think dat cos they 6 ft 1/2/3/4/5 they got an advantage would get set by me i swear any guy tries it cos im average height would get 1 2 bang to his jaw for taking man for an inferior type.

ya zimme
    I do have broad shoulders.
    And I weigh abit under 14 stones. I'm good, I don't need to seek attention because of my height. Most of the time, it's shorter people who seek attention,

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you're even that short.
    Good height for me actually I'm 150cm

I'd make you feel tall :P

ReputationRep:
    Lol I'm short and even I've had enough of these stupid f***ing threads.

I'm 5'6" (had to check it today. pleasantly surprised, last time I measured I thought I was 5'3"...) but whatever the number, I'm still SHORT. First rule of short club: DEAL WITH IT.

Firstly, I think it's funny how everyone's bandying about figures "oh I prefer men who are 6ft" "omg I'm 5ft7 so he'd need to be 5'11 for me to wear heels" "I'm only 5ft8 no girl taller will go out with me "
    I guess my question is who the hell is going around with a tape measure? the answer is Noone.

So, if it's any consolation to my fellow shorties, although that's all we have in common because it seems my peers seem to be whiny bi***es with a chip on their shoulders, whatever these people are saying, they actually just deal in relatives; Tall, Taller, Same, Shorter and Short. What is tall and short is generally agreed just on the extremes. 7ft is the higher end, ergo Tall. 4ft is on the extreme of the lower end. Ergo Short.
    The thing that gets me is you all keep mentioning "average height", ever heard of something called the median? So what if the AVERAGE is 5ft10" that doesn't mean the MAJORITY of people aren't shorter or even taller than that. 20 people, 10 5ft and 10 6ft, you could say the "average" was 5ft6".... even though NONE are actually that height. That's enough maths, back to the point...

So Taller and Shorter is how most of us actually think of people. If you're 5'7, you're still TALLER than a girl who's 5ft3, just because you're insecure about it doesn't mean she's going to see you as "less short" than her. You are TALLER. Take a pathetic ego boost from that if you will...

Do you honestly think if you're THAT much of a catch she's going to give a flying f**k about the heels, how you're not the ideal 6ft+ or even that you might be shortER than her? And if she did, do you REALLY want anything to do with her?

I'm not going to tell you to man up, it's not useful. I'm not going to tell you it's all OK and it's not a problem. It can be. What I am going to reiterate is DEAL WITH IT. Life is full of problems, everyone has them. Stop taking it personally, you are not your height, it's not like when people think of you they just think "short" and if they do, your problem is lacking personality more than anything. All these "tall" girls rejecting you because you're titchy? well they might get rejected for a million different reasons too! boobs not big enough, awful personality, too tall and intimidating to shortER yet compatible guys (oh that's a ***** how it works both ways right?), maybe they're 5ft10 with the dress sense of Jordan, buck teeth, acne or a million other things...

The point is you're handing them all the power just because they're TALLER than you?! :confused: so some guy is 6ft whatever with a terrible personality, poor as anything, arrogant and bad hygiene.... and you're going to make those FEW inches crucial to his success and your demise? Get a grip...

Unless all of this is because you think it cuts you off from a big chunk of the pus*y out there which just makes it harder for you to get laid easy-peasy. Then I have no sympathy for you, and like I said "being short is the least of your problems"

Finally, take a look at this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQPmY4nIjVE . I'm not even gay but I'd rather bang that guy than some short whiny tool, I stress not because he's short, but because he's a whiny tool. You're going to make ONE aspect of your life into the one thing that's holding you back? Nothing's holding you back but you. Stop being the "short" guy, forget about the "tall" guys, be a big man

Much love x

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why people are crying over being only 5'7/8/9. Is it really that big a deal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    I'm 5ft 5, and I'd never date anyone under 6ft. I just don't find them attractive.

I don't know why guys have such an issue with girls preferring tall guys- whenever I've mentioned my preference to a short guy, they've always stood there and challenged me on it, usually getting fairly aggressive and calling me shallow or inferring I can't afford to be picky. Yet guys don't get anywhere near as defensive about other physical features that girls have a preference regarding. If I mention to a dark haired boy that I just don't find dark hair attractive, they usually just shrug and accept it's just my preference. I think it's men who have the inferiority complex about being short, so they take it out on women :dontknow:
    Because height is a thing you cannot control. I'll be honest, I can't see you turning down someone because you measured them and they're not 6 foot. Anyway, I think it's pointless to have 'specifics' because you could meet the greatest guy who isn't whay you want in height but nonetheless you like anyway. One thing life has taught me is that anyone can fall for anyone, and having preconceived notions as to who you think you find attratctive is naive.

(Original post by QwentyJ)
    Because height is a thing you cannot control. I'll be hinest, I can't see yiou turning down someone because you measured them and they're not 6 foot.Anyway,I think it's pointless to have 'specifics' because you could meet the greatest guy who isn't whay youy want in height but nonetheless you like anyway. One thing life has taught me is that anyone can fall for anyone, and having preconceived notions as to who ou think you find attratctive is naive.
    She'd probably make him where lifts lol.

Seriously though, i've realised there is nothing i can do about it. Women will dismiss me on it, i've just gotta accept it. Hopefully some will understand that it doesn't really mean anything but i'm not banking on it. I wouldn't want to be with someone who is going to negatively judge me on it anyway (and that is coming from the perspective of me only going out with shorter girls)

Life carries on and so do my other priorities.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 5'1. Some how I think you'll cope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    She'd probably make him where lifts lol.

Seriously though, i've realised there is nothing i can do about it. Women will dismiss me on it, i've just gotta accept it. Hopefully some will understand that it doesn't really mean anything but i'm not banking on it. I wouldn't want to be with someone who is going to negatively judge me on it anyway (and that is coming from the perspective of me only going out with shorter girls)

Life carries on and so do my other priorities.
    TBH, it's not worth knowing a girl like that. It's all about some bulls**t about security. Let's be honest - who would you prefer - Ricky Hatton or Peter Crouch to protect you? The sooner girls realise that height doesn't matter, the better. Men too. If I fancied a girl who was taller than me, I still wouldn't say no - I'm not worried about my height.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.