What don't young people go to the theatre?? Watch

unmodified
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
oh also another little story,

there are some mailing lists you can get on for london productions, and i ended up being offered free tickets to a play in which Maggie Smith was starring! so i quickly accepted! all they asked for was a small - but not obligatory - donation! The play was so so good! and after the show i even got to meet her!! and all for the price of .. ZERO!

just saying..

ps. that was a lot of exclamation marks! i guess i get a bit excited and carried away about these things
Tactical Nuclear Penguin
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by alex_hk90)
How does that make a difference? :confused: I enjoy going to the theatre and I'm heterosexual.

To answer the question - it's because it's perceived to be 'posh' and often quite expensive (though student theatre here is very cheap and well worth making the effort to see :yep:).
Birmingham Hippodrome allocate a number of tickets for certain performances to be made available FREE to under-26s. Hence why I went to the panto for free!
Rob da Mop
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Because lots of young people don't enjoy it.

I personally love it, but I have very few friends who do.
Tactical Nuclear Penguin
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Rob da Mop)
Because lots of young people don't enjoy it.

I personally love it, but I have very few friends who do.
Exactly. Just a question of personal taste really.
A Lesson to Learn..
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's not that expensive and there are many schemes that offer young people discounts and free tickets to get them more involved eg:

http://www.anightlessordinary.org.uk/

which gives free tickets to under 26 year olds
Rimipie
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
this reminds me of a conversation i was having with a boy in my year yesterday, he told me that "only white people go to the theatre and read" lmfao
riotgrrl
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I LOVE the theatre! It's not even that expensive unless you get front row seats. And The Globe theatre, which has some of the best acting is only about a tenner, I think.
Krakatoa
Report 8 years ago
Cos it's ****,and could just watch tv.
Kuriso
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Personally I would love to go more however my local theatres don't do free tickets for under 26s and are still £25+ including student discount :nn: and apart from paying even more for a taxi I don't have any way of getting home apart from the using the very unreliable night bus :nn:
elldee
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Not cool enough really...

This has enticed me to go now, last time I went was in year 9... I'm going next time I have the chance.
aKarma
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The price is the main reason
I go to the adc here fairly often as it's just a £6 or so
goji09
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It seems that most people's concerns with theatre attendance are with price / boredom.
Perhaps people who write theatre off as being boring don't give it much of an airing, but frankly in my opinion the only truly tedious theatre I've experienced are those awful plays they insist on playing on Radio 4. So give it a chance people - and if you don't enjoy the stuff that you have seen, have a go at writing your own.

A cheap way of going to the theatre would be to go to little theatres (check with The Little Theatre Guild of Great Britain that there is one near you - http://www.littletheatreguild.org.uk/index.shtml). Obviously they are performances by amateur dramatists, but they are performed in an intimate setting and the atmosphere is good (as is the performance - most of the time).
ElfManiac
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I love the theatre, particularly musicals.

It is quite expensive to get tickets to the big touring productions - but university drama societies put on a fair number of plays and are definitely worth a look too. You can also get involved in performing, too.
Installation
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by dudleyian)
That's just such a ridiculous generalisation lol, there's no more annoying people than there is at any other public gathering!
Yes I know it's a generalisation but I was just answering the question
robbo3045
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think some of the younger crowd are subjected to a real bad piece of theatre that they are unable to connect to. So they associate the theatre with being bored to tears. However, lots of playwrights are writing plays that really attract a predominantly younger crowd, that appeals to their sensibilities, instead of something they can not relate or connect to. (I.e. Classical texts or Shakespeare)
FrenchGal
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I only started to go to the theatre on a very regular this year - I go once a week on a bad month a lot more when I have more time (I get free tickets because I write reviews for a website, I admit it helps ). I used to like the theatre before, but didn't go often because I thought the price and accessibility were an issue (I live in the suburbs near Paris). One day, I just realised these were poor excuses, so I found a way to afford it by contacting this theatre review website and convincing myself the ride back home (30 mn train) was not a problem. Now I've made a habit of seeing anything I can
Chocothunder
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I do go to the theatre. All the time. But only because in Bath you can turn up to a performance 10 minutes before it starts and get insanely cheap tickets. :yep:
dukeofgrove
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
choice between naff actors prancing round change or top actors in the world with lots explosions and pretty colours
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Went to see lord of the rings when i was 15 was pretty immense on stage.
MDEH8176
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by alex_hk90)
How does that make a difference? :confused: I enjoy going to the theatre and I'm heterosexual.

To answer the question - it's because it's perceived to be 'posh' and often quite expensive (though student theatre here is very cheap and well worth making the effort to see :yep:).
A stereotype I've experienced and found to be true of most gay people. I'm not saying that heterosexual men don't like theatre or that they shouldn't enjoy it, rather that the majority of gay men are quite into the theatre and performing arts.

Whenever I've told my male friends at work that I like the theatre I usually get a response along the lines of "well, you are gay". :confused:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (904)
79.93%
Leave (227)
20.07%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed