AQA AS Unit 1 post exam discussion Watch

toofaforu
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by SmartFool)
Did you proper mess up on any 15 markers?!, ive just realised i wrote about the completely wrong thing for 1 of them, im so worried
which one did you mess up?
jack1865
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by toofaforu)
what the actual F, we've been doing these mock papers in class (last years ones), i got 12/30, 20/30, 20/30 and like 23/30 = 75/120 = A?! my teacher told me it was a C. so confused right now.
The teachers always go by the rule
80% is an A
70% is a B
and so on

but its not like that at all, the grade boundaries have been posted by aqa for last years exam as being 55/120, then 60/120 is jan this year!
Orichalon
Badges: 7
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jack1865)
They ARE raw marks, and i dont think it'll be much higher this year, so dont panic
what?! only 55-60 marks needed for an A? wow...
SmartFool
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
which one did you mess up?
Population, i wrote about stage 2 and stage 5 of the DTM - if i read the question properly i would have put the right things! so annoyed about it :mad:
greatmonte
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Did you proper mess up on any 15 markers?!, ive just realised i wrote about the completely wrong thing for 1 of them, im so worried
well if you mess up a 15 marker and get 0...which I doubt you will still have 105 marks and going by last years grade boundaries if you get 52% of the 105 markers youll get an A dont worry worry ruined my summer( until I got my results)
jack1865
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Population, i wrote about stage 2 and stage 5 of the DTM - if i read the question properly i would have put the right things! so annoyed about it :mad:
If i remember correctly that question was out of 6!
that wasnt the 15 marker :P
SmartFool
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If i remember correctly that question was out of 6!
that wasnt the 15 marker :P
yeah there was one on the DTM that was a 6 marker! but the 15 marker was about population structure !
toofaforu
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i sort of did that, i wrote about countries with lots of young people needing stuff like education, cheaper higher education etc, saying it was countries like those in stage 2. i then said countries with lots of old people (latter parts of stage 4). for the rivers flooding one i sort of forgot to say which river flooded...i wrote it ON the exam paper...just at the side, i wonder if i'll get a mark for it ha.
toofaforu
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The teachers always go by the rule
80% is an A
70% is a B
and so on

but its not like that at all, the grade boundaries have been posted by aqa for last years exam as being 55/120, then 60/120 is jan this year!
someone in my class got like 25/30 for every single one, but i suppose he is absurdly clever.
NatCulsh
Report 8 years ago
As soon as we came out of the exam room, everyone was going on about how hard it was so I assume the grade boundries will remain low this year. Atleast I hope they do.

The worst one was definately the 15 mark energy question, I didn't know what the hell I was writing and it was worded so badly, even my teachers agreed.
SmartFool
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i sort of did that, i wrote about countries with lots of young people needing stuff like education, cheaper higher education etc, saying it was countries like those in stage 2. i then said countries with lots of old people (latter parts of stage 4). for the rivers flooding one i sort of forgot to say which river flooded...i wrote it ON the exam paper...just at the side, i wonder if i'll get a mark for it ha.
yeah hopefully a few marks have been scraped i really need an A! ... lol just prayy that the examiner notices it!
jimbo9292
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Can someone plz tell me the exact ( or near enough ) questions tht came up nd hw many marks they were worth plz for rivers , cold environments , popultion and energy - i didnt do this exm today becuse im am actually relly really ill at home so am doin the jan 2011 paper so would like to know wat came up plz plz plz plz :yep:

thnk u so much in advance :woo: :woo:
loves2spooge
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
For the Population 15 marker the wording was a bit messed up, so I ended up going on about UK's ageing population and Iran's young population, no idea if that's right or not...
toofaforu
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jimbo9292)
Can someone plz tell me the exact ( or near enough ) questions tht came up nd hw many marks they were worth plz for rivers , cold environments , popultion and energy - i didnt do this exm today becuse im am actually relly really ill at home so am doin the jan 2011 paper so would like to know wat came up plz plz plz plz :yep:

thnk u so much in advance :woo: :woo:
ha yeah right mate.
SmartFool
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by loves2spooge)
For the Population 15 marker the wording was a bit messed up, so I ended up going on about UK's ageing population and Iran's young population, no idea if that's right or not...
yeah your right it was about population structure, so those were the two main things , a young and old population!
Thomasmc135
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by loves2spooge)
You had to talk about Boserupian and Malthus, what they say, so fisheries depleting, water scarcity etc.

I didn't do that either, I had to ask my mate what it was about. I then wrote about the UK having an ageing population and China using the one child policy to reduce population and demand on resources. Who knows?
Thomasmc135
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
yeah your right it was about population structure, so those were the two main things , a young and old population!
No, the wording was messed. Read my post above, that's what you had to do. Resource demands = my post info.
nmr1991
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I thought the exam was hard to start off with, but got easier as i went through, i skipped some that would have taken long to answer and would go back to them after i finished doing the others.

Rivers - the OS maps are so easy to interpret, made it easy for me to answer the following question, overall it was between medium and easy. I am concerned though, had it been too easy, i might have gone off the topic a little. We were talking through it in class in the afternoon with my geography teacher, that first question i think i may have got wrong, i didnt put anything to do with meanders, instead i put deltas and waterfalls, laugh if you want.

Coastlines - the first question was a little hard to understand, and as most people have said, the wording was a little too uncomprehensive for me to fully understand, but the 15 mark one sure was a doozy. I was glad there weren't any wave cut platform sort of questions, as i would have failed at them aswell.

Population - as my most difficult topic, all the questions, in my opinion were the hardest questions i have ever faced in the history of my exams. But i guess this is like the tip of the iceberg considering im going through the complete A level course. The Demographic Transition model i annotated was sort of incomplete, not a surprise if i fail in that department.

Energy - this was sort of my favourite and easiest topic of the exam, well its supposed to have been the easiest according to my geography teacher, the chart showing the energy sources was kind of easy to interpret, the colour somehow put me off, don't ask why. The rest of the questions were easy apart from the 15 mark one which I just wrote a page and a half on some crap i think i forgotten what i wrote.
loves2spooge
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Thomasmc135)
You had to talk about Boserupian and Malthus, what they say, so fisheries depleting, water scarcity etc.

I didn't do that either, I had to ask my mate what it was about. I then wrote about the UK having an ageing population and China using the one child policy to reduce population and demand on resources. Who knows?
My bad, I did talk about Malthus and how food supply growths on an arithmetic scale where as population grows exponentially leading to famine etc.

Anyway I think energy was the worst, messed up primary and secondary energy question, and wasn't too sure about the 15 marker
toofaforu
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Thomasmc135)

you sure? boserup and malthus have no relation to population structure.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1408)
79.68%
Leave (359)
20.32%

Watched Threads