When is it ok to say the "N" word???? Watch

ColdVein
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Like with any other word, it's all about context.
Norris197
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The way I see it is why is there a need to say that word anyway? I've never once been in a conversation where the first word that came to my mind as an adequate way to complete my sentence was ******. It doesn't matter if it is perceived as right or wrong.

There's just a stupid taboo like normal, where there will always be people scared to say it and the other people who feel they have the right to say it. It's just a word.
puma21
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ShayCamp)
[/SIZE]
This had been done so many times before, don't talk about black people like they don't exist, it isn't acceptable to use the N word in almost any scenario except the one in the link below :cool:. but seriously so what if certain black people call one another the n word, it has nothing to do with you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63M34s8afbo
ShayCamp
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by VanDerWaal)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63M34s8afbo
LOOOOOOL I LOOOOOVE Chris Rock...looool black people and ****** loool
Tsukuyomi
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Blacks saying it to other blacks, is basically saying brother or friend.

***** has alot of historic meaning to it whislt words such as honkey or cracker doesnt have history to it.
ShayCamp
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by MasterJomi)
It may have been around 200 or so years ago but racism still exists..

I don't use the word. Why should you or I? You say 'Black people' as if we are all into this thing and calling white people H*****s..

What occasion arises where you felt the need to say the word anyway?..
I personally dont feel the need to say the word...i mean it doesnt really matter to me. I said "black people" i was generalizing. I obviously didnt mean every single black person. there are just some people out there who think it's ok to call a white person one offensive word, but it isnt ok to be called an offensive word in return. And that is what annoys me.
LivingMemory
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by The TSR Star.)
when you are black and with a black homie.

But isn't it racist in itself to say that the race of the speaker makes a difference?
JAKstriked
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
When you are rapping with a song or joking with really white buddys.
D.R.E
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Natha_Lite)
So you don't find hypocritical when black people who use the word get angry when it's used by someone who isn't black even though the person saying it is not racist?
No I do not. I don't use the word myself simply because I have too much knowledge about how that word has been used historically and would see it as an insult to myself and my history to throw it around.

However, if other black people choose to then that doesn't automatically grant white people the same leeway. I don't want to use the same analogy but, if you went to a female colleague at work and slapped her behind because you saw other women doing it, what do you expect the consequences would be?

Lets not be naive here, the word has had racist connotations for longer than you and I have existed, and it annoys me when people try to act like none of that ever happened.
MasterJomi
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I personally dont feel the need to say the word...i mean it doesnt really matter to me. I said "black people" i was generalizing. I obviously didnt mean every single black person. there are just some people out there who think it's ok to call a white person one offensive word, but it isnt ok to be called an offensive word in return. And that is what annoys me.
Tbh, I know more white people who call each other 'crackers' than I know black people who call each other 'N's.
gbduo
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Wheel of fortune obviously! Oh and I have no idea why there is huge spacing either.
Rimipie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
loool reminds me of this time when this black guy gave permission for his white friend to say it all day, so like the whole day he'd be like "OI ***** YOU COMING LUNCH YEAH", or "*****, you done the homework?"
The TSR Star.
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by LivingMemory)
But isn't it racist in itself to say that the race of the speaker makes a difference?
No, because another post of mine soon after the one you quoted clearly states that white people tend to say it to their friends.

The OP asked "when is it okay to use the word?" and I gave an example. It's not the sole example. It was AN example.
Earthly
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
in appropriate context, like this discussion. I'm not going to call it 'the N word' or feel like i'm treading on egg shells. A lot of Black people find it highly offensive even when a another black person casually says it; no one should casually say it.
User414413
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Listen, it’s a derogatory term. What do you expect, the social stigma to disappear just like that? It was pretty much used all the way up to the 50s/60s. It’s not racist, but don’t expect smiles when saying it rather aggressive looks/actions. Consequentialism!
Lizzzle
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I say;

either everyone is allowed to say it
or
no one should be allowed to say it.

the argument for black people to only be allowed to say the N word is so dated, and prejudice within itself.

I call people the N word, I don't say it frequently though because it's still taboo and I go to school in Surrey, so it's VERY awkward especially since i'm usually the only black person within a 5mile radius.
Onyx.
Report 8 years ago
I think I'm missing something.What racist word for a white person do we have over here? And who said it was okay to white people something offensive in return?
Indieboohoo
Report 8 years ago
OP When would you ever need to call someone that? that's what there name is for.
Plus you need to go back to history class if you really don't know why.
Sayers
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
So this is my problem...Some black people: "oh we are soo oppressed cos we were slaves and got called "******" or "negros" an oohhh white people cant say it cos it means YOU RACIST." But hold on...so why are black rappers calling themselves ****** then...oh surely it's alright to say it now...i mean its been 200 years since there were slaves ok so it's not a big deal now.... right??
But no, if a white person today were to drop the "n" word into a conversation, even if it's a jokey one, the room will go silent.
And here's the thing, white people I know are actually scared to say the"n" word in the company of a black person for fear of, i dont know what. I mean i personally dont give a **** one way or the other as i dont feel anything for those words.
But wait a minute arent there offensive words for white people? Like the "H" word and stuff? So why are black people allowed to call themselves "******" and white people "honkeys" but white people are still practically shot if they ever say the "n" word? :mad:

P.S If you guys still dont believe me then look again...which offensive words are blocked out by TSR and which words arent?
Wrong! The word was born out of hate and will ALWAYS be a sign of hate. Now the word ***** and ****** are view in different lights by some of the black community. ****** (the N-word) was the one born out of hate. N*gga is the reformed version of n*gger often used greetings, rap songs and normal conversations. The meaning of the word n*gga is argued to have a new or changed meaning. Similar to females refereeing to themselves as B****'s. The meaning has changed in some ways and is now dependent on the use. And for some black people the issue with a with a person saying it is that they dont know your meaning or intent in your use.
I personally dont use either word nor do I think anyone should because of history behind the word.
Now as for you argument of it 'being 200 yrs. since slavery' it's a very ignorant and idiotic one. Yes it has been years since slavery but aggressive racism and the use of the word ******* was still taking place in the later half of the 1900's. Your question is similar to asking ' why can't we wear swastika's anymore? It been forever since WWII'. You wouldn't ask an foolish question like that now would you?
I think the bigger question is why would you feel the need to say the word?
calamityx
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
when john mayer says it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (109)
19.57%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (227)
40.75%
Nope, not that interesting (221)
39.68%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise