Being called 'Anorexic' can be just as hurtful as being called 'obese' Watch

Rimipie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
god it pisses me off when people come up to me and say "OMG LOOK HOW THIN YOUR WRIST IS!!! YOU MUST BE ANOREXIC" i swear down they need a nice slap in the face. i'm a size 4/6, i don't ever starve myself, i actually eat too much, i probably eat around 4000 calories a day, and i do no exercise, it's all natural baby
BuryMeInBlack
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I wouldn't say I'm skinny (mainly cause I have odd curvy thighs and big hips with a tiny upper body), but I remember walking past a couple of people and I remember one saying I was 'a walking skeleton'. Pretty harsh. I know of two people when I went to 6th form who had serious eating problems, one went to hospital and another was too too too skinny (aka arms were too thin and there was a large gap between her thighs) but no one was horrid to them. My boyfriend's mum's boyfriend made a lot of comments about me earlier in the relationship saying 'I should eat more' and things like that, yet I have a really huge appetite. :mad: A bit weird seeing as he's really skinny and tall..

Really off topic but I remember one time some ugly fat girl walked past my boyfriend in college and whispered tauntingly 'gingerrrrrrrr' at him. o_O He's kind of a subtle ginger, but seriously it's stupid for others to insult people when they have flaws themselves.
TheLeprachaun
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Adonis)
Why should she?

The point is the majority of these girls aren't unhealthy skinny. neither are they suffering from health problems (I assume)

So if their health is fine? why should they gain weight because it's "unsightly to some?"
Yeh mate I misunderstood. After she quoted me the first time saying "i do eat,but this is who I am" I assumed she meant she'd tried to gain weight before but it didn't work out. Tis my mistake.
Advanced Subsidiary
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Rimipie)
god it pisses me off when people come up to me and say "OMG LOOK HOW THIN YOUR WRIST IS!!! YOU MUST BE ANOREXIC" i swear down they need a nice slap in the face
I used to get this in primary school. That's what happens when we don't eat 7000 calories a day.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Soz guys I'm in a bad mood - im normally not this rude.
Mayfly
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by TheLeprachaun)

It's your choice at the end of the day though, but if people are calling you names for being skinny, you can change that. You're right about calling people anorexic being just as bad as calling people fat. But that works both ways, BEING really skinny is just as bad as BEING really fat.
Yeah. I don't think particularly applies for the OP because size 6 isn't unusually tiny for someone that height and they look healthy and all that shiz, but people do tend to confuse 'not having the mental disorder anorexia' and 'therefore being entirely healthy.'

It's entirely possible to not have anorexia (a serious and defined mental disorder) and still be too thin. Maybe it's because of metabolism - although most people aren't willing to let that excuse fly for fat people... -, maybe it's because of body type (some people are just smaller), or maybe it's because someone isn't eating as well as they think they are.

Obviously, a lot of people calling people 'anorexic' are roughly equivalent to people who call fat people 'obese pigs' or whatever, and are idiots lashing out at small built people, and should be ignored. But I do sometimes feel these threads ignore the fact that it is actually possible to be too skinny without having a mental disorder, and just because you don't doesn't mean your weight isn't potentially unhealthy.

Once again, I'm not referring to the OP.
Anonymous #1
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by <3 tan xxxxx)
Someone I thought was a friend posted a status on Facebook tonight saying 'I wish all girls who're a size 8 and under would just go jump off a cliff and die, you're ******* disgusting'
sounds like jealousy to me![/QUOTE]
eurg what a disguisting and uneducated thing to say.

O.P I completely agree! Its so annoying and frustrating, ive had it all my life. Its not like i purposely tries to lose weight, ive tried my best to gain weight its not as easy as it seems and gained 2 stones. Ive noticed its usually oerweight and people with weight insecurities who say this.

Calling a fat person fat is unspeakble whereas calling someone anorexic is deemed okay > argh
pocketfulofposy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
As long as you know you're healthy, then that's all you need to worry about.
TheCurlyHairedDude
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Sarah.Rivers)
Right, I'm getting very sick of this.

I'm 19 years old, 5ft 3, very slender (size 6), 30A bust, the rest...
But that's the way I am, and I like it that way.

I honestly never satisfy my apetite, I love food, it's wonderful. But (only when I tell people I'm a size 6) I get asked questions about my diet, and whether I'm ok? I don't LOOK unhealthy... So why the questions?
Someone told me the other day that men only find 'real women' sexy. And I've heard that supposed friends have called me Anorexic behind my back.

It gets me down sometimes...Like I should put weight on to become attractive ): when it's near impossible for me!
Can I just say , be happy with yourself babe , that's the most important thing ever smile...................
Rimipie
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Advanced Subsidiary)
I used to get this in primary school. That's what happens when we don't eat 7000 calories a day.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Soz guys I'm in a bad mood - im normally not this rude.
but i do eat like 7000 calories a day? lol
madders94
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Adonis)
Why should she?

The point is the majority of these girls aren't unhealthy skinny. neither are they suffering from health problems (I assume)

So if their health is fine? why should they gain weight because it's "unsightly to some?"
Sorry, but this is totally hypocritical of you. You post in other threads how people are fat and need to change it because they're "disgusting">

Why should they lose weight because it's "unsightly to some"?

Anyway, back on-topic -

To the poster who said "It's not right of people to criticize others when they are flawed themselves" or words to that extent - it's not right for anyone to criticize anyone else about their appearance, whether they are flawed or this supposed "perfect" or "normal".

OP, You look a perfectly normal weight from your picture, and I'm sure anyone who calls you names is just envious of you It isn't right to call people names whatever their shape, size, age, height, weight. I'm not sure what people think they're going to achieve from it :confused:. Shame people into gaining/losing weight? That doesn't work at all. The best way to look at it is that anyone who criticizes you based on your appearance is lacking somewhere in their lives, usually in the appearance or confidence department, and needs to put another person down to make themselves feel better.

In short, they're pathetic and not worth it, and you're better than them
pearlearrings
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You know what really angers me? When my friends use the word "anorexic" to mean "someone thin". :mad:
OK, so the person thinner than you must automatically have an eating disorder?! It's ridiculous and I find it really offensive, and I've expressly asked them not to do it in my presence because it actually makes me angry. Funny thing is it's my two fattest friends who do that - "size 10/ 12s" but in reality a 12 and 16 :rolleyes: - I sure as hell wouldn't describe them as "lazy, out-of-control bingers" or whatever fat stereotypes exist.:rolleyes:

And let's be honest. I know very few people who eat well and exercise a reasonable amount. Of those people, they're all slim*. I know unhealthy people who are thin, but they're not all like that, unlike fat people.

* the only exception is one girl who seems to have real problems with portion control - good food but too much of it - there's a limit to how much exercise can achieve, love. :yep:

(Original post by Mayfly)
It's entirely possible to not have anorexia (a serious and defined mental disorder) and still be too thin.
Thin people can be unhealthy - some people have low weights because they're malnourished or they are poor at recognising hunger, like fat people, and so they undereat.

But the "too thin" argument always baffles me. "Too thin"...for what? To enter a fattest person contest? If you still have periods, get your 5 a day and all the vitamins etc. and keep your heart healthy, then what exactly are you too thin for? Some else's idea of a "real woman"?

You've got to at least admit that most people use "fat" as a judgement of aesthetics, not looks. Someone is "too fat" because they look like they have too much fat/mass(or both) on them to be attractive to that person, subjectively (with the exception of the morbidly obese). But when someone says "too thin", they are making a judgement about someone's health. It's ironic.
monstermunch1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Someone told me the other day that men only find 'real women' sexy.
I thought men found slim but curvy women sexy? I dont think you need to worry, 'real women' doesnt mean overweight women, it just means women that arent sticks, which tbh I doubt you are? And even if you are, who cares! One of the most sought after women I know is stick thin with no breasts but she always looks gorgeous!!

I'm short(ish) like you and am a 6/8 and I think i dont think im thin at all, tbh, i think the people talking behind your back are probably just jealous!!
MissOxford
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Its jealousy. Ignore it. Who the **** wants to be fat anyways?
Sarah.Rivers
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by monstermunch1)
I thought men found slim but curvy women sexy? I dont think you need to worry, 'real women' doesnt mean overweight women, it just means women that arent sticks, which tbh I doubt you are? And even if you are, who cares! One of the most sought after women I know is stick thin with no breasts but she always looks gorgeous!!

I'm short(ish) like you and am a 6/8 and I think i dont think im thin at all, tbh, i think the people talking behind your back are probably just jealous!!
they went on to say that this means having big boobs and curvy bodies. It's not entirely true, I know that (my boyfriend LOVES my body) but it just annoys me that peoplego around judging in this way....we can't all have the same shape,that would be boring.
monstermunch1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
they went on to say that this means having big boobs and curvy bodies. It's not entirely true, I know that (my boyfriend LOVES my body) but it just annoys me that people go around judging in this way....we can't all have the same shape,that would be boring.
ahh i see

yeah i agree, not everybody can be the same shape! not all women are comfortable at the shape and men like all sorts of shapes!
I have small boobs and not many curves, i do have boobs but they're small, and i duno i dont think i'd be comfortable with big ones - they just go saggy and drop when you take your bra off! Theres + and - to everything

i agree though, its just as much as an insult!
Advanced Subsidiary
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Rimipie)
but i do eat like 7000 calories a day? lol
:eek3: Impossible
zav
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
As long as your happy OP don't give a **** what anyone else says about how you look!
Wanischa
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Someone happens to say "OMG you are so anorexic. I swear you don't eat. Do you eat chocolate? I bet you don't"....to me...

And for people that do know me, they know that I probably eat more food than any of them...(due to the size of plate that my mother serves food in)
Tefhel
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
They're just jealous that you can eat whatever you want and not put on any weight. I think that is what girls dream of isn't it?

Don't listen to them and try and put on weight. I bet you look great as you are.
Potential Trigger
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by lella_m)
You already know that I adore your figure, Sarah!

I suspect it has been said before, but the majority of people saying these things (especially females) are ultimately jealous.

Chin up sweetheart
This. OP I wouldn't listen to some of these girls, you clearly look slim in a nice way but not anorexic, but these people are jealous they can't do the same and carry excess pounds.

Also slim girls look, especially with a firm bum and smallish boobs :coma:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (108)
19.78%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (222)
40.66%
Nope, not that interesting (216)
39.56%

Watched Threads