Turn on thread page Beta

First solo drive after passing test watch

ReputationRep:
    My first drive was 3 months after I had passed when me and a friend went to pick up the car I had bought 80 miles away..

I learnt in a diesel 207..

The car I was buying was a petrol Type-R imported Honda Integra..

Now in the 207 and in lessons I had never been into 5th gear or above 60 miles an hour and obviously not on a motorway.

After we had bought my new car I was crapping myself at the prospect of driving 80 miles in a totally unfamiliar car with a 0 - 60 of about 6 seconds and no help apart from following my mate who had his Mitsubishi GT.

As if that wasn't bad enough it was the worst weather England has had for a long time and the rain and fog meant there was less than 100 meters of visability.

apart from nearly crashing twice on the first 2 junctions leaving the guys house who I had bought it from it was fine and has been ever since.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by cowleya)
    I passed my test last Friday, but I'm not insured on my Dad's car as a full-licence holder, because I'm still waiting for my licence to arrive from the DVLA.
    You don't need that. They give you a little blue certificate and you are legally allowed to drive on your own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michael321)
    You don't need that. They give you a little blue certificate and you are legally allowed to drive on your own.
    Yeah, I know now Just got confused with insurance and driving numbers. I'm going to drive to school for my exam tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I know now Just got confused with insurance and driving numbers. I'm going to drive to school for my exam tomorrow.
    Have you been out practicing driving on your own this weekend, otherwise it's probably not a good idea driving to an exam the first time you're driving alone - you'll probably be nervous driving on your own for the very first time and also nervous about getting to the exam on time. Best to go out sometime when you're in no rush and can get used to driving

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tobie123)
    Have you been out practicing driving on your own this weekend, otherwise it's probably not a good idea driving to an exam the first time you're driving alone - you'll probably be nervous driving on your own for the very first time and also nervous about getting to the exam on time. Best to go out sometime when you're in no rush and can get used to driving
    My Dad insured me yesterday, and I've had a couple of hours practise this weekend to familiarise myself a bit more (instead of spending extra time revising for French). I'm also going to leave plenty of time in the morning, both to avoid the main rush hour, and so I won't find myself late for the exam.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Ah yes I have since seen the myriad of replies :P Did your insurance put the price up when you turned full licence?

ReputationRep:
    My Dad insured me yesterday, and I've had a couple of hours practise this weekend to familiarise myself a bit more (instead of spending extra time revising for French). I'm also going to leave plenty of time in the morning, both to avoid the main rush hour, and so I won't find myself late for the exam.
    How was your first trip out on your own - sounds more fun than revising! Were you nervous or are you fairly confident driivng on your own?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michael321)
    Ah yes I have since seen the myriad of replies :P Did your insurance put the price up when you turned full licence?
    I changed insurers. I was originally with a separate company, but since yesterday I'm now on my Dad's policy. The excess is £600, so yeah, the price has gone up a bit now that I can drive solo.

ReputationRep:
    How was your first trip out on your own - sounds more fun than revising! Were you nervous or are you fairly confident driivng on your own?
    Without any parents or instructors shouting at me, I was fairly calm and relaxed. I started on the quiet residential roads around my house, where the only hazards that I might have run over were cats and the odd child, but since school is only just down the road, I'm confident I'll make it in one piece

ReputationRep:
    I didn't drive for a year after my test then had a 2 hour refresher in central London. My first time without an instructor was a 600 mile drive from Vegas to LA (7 lane freeways are hillarious), including a detour into the rockies - you guys will be fine

ReputationRep:
    Without any parents or instructors shouting at me, I was fairly calm and relaxed. I started on the quiet residential roads around my house, where the only hazards that I might have run over were cats and the odd child, but since school is only just down the road, I'm confident I'll make it in one piece
    Good luck in your first proper drive tomorrow - one tip from experience, make sure you plan somewhere easy to park as you don't want the pressure of loads of school mates watching you struggling to parallel park in a small space

ReputationRep:
    Good luck in your first proper drive tomorrow - one tip from experience, make sure you plan somewhere easy to park as you don't want the pressure of loads of school mates watching you struggling to parallel park in a small space
    Not much chance in that, as the parking restrictions outside school make it virtually unparkable unless you have a permit. I have to find a space close by, then walk the rest of the way.

ReputationRep:
    Not much chance in that, as the parking restrictions outside school make it virtually unparkable unless you have a permit. I have to find a space close by, then walk the rest of the way.
    Good luck, enjoy the drive

ReputationRep:
    The laws in Australia are ******. I passed my driving exam in December but can only drive alone from next Wednesday and won't be able to drive after midnight until December. ARRRRRRGH!

ReputationRep:
    As soon as i passed my test i went to buy a cd for my car haha, then as soon as my insurance company was contacted i went out on my own for a quick drive round my area. I stalled quite a lot and reversed my car back into my driveway and wacked my wing mirror on my neighbours fence!!! haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BollywoodToBattersea)
    The laws in Australia are ******. I passed my driving exam in December but can only drive alone from next Wednesday and won't be able to drive after midnight until December. ARRRRRRGH!
    That's not necesserily a bad thing as it gives you chance to get experience before going out on your own. Are there less accidents involving young drivers in Australia as a result of this?

ReputationRep:
    How did the first drive to school go, did you enjoy it?

ReputationRep:
    How did the first drive to school go, did you enjoy it?
    It went well, thanks for asking. I took the quieter route along the seafront, so there wasn't a great deal of traffic.

ReputationRep:
    That's not necesserily a bad thing as it gives you chance to get experience before going out on your own. Are there less accidents involving young drivers in Australia as a result of this?
    Nope. Accidents tend to be caused by reckless behaviour rather than a lack of experience (it used to be 25 hours but was then increased to six months). Idiots will be idiots irrespective of how many hours they have driven.

Personally I feel they should develop a more comprehensive driving test rather than have this six month period.

ReputationRep:
    this sounds so lame now but i didnt get a car for 2 months after i passed and my first journey was with my mum - i done a test drive to my college (15 mins away) :o:

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.