Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I cannot guess how long 1km is but I know how long 1mile is.

I know how much 1kg is but not how much 1lb is, unless it's about body weight when I know lb but not kg.

The UK isn't fully metric because we've been brought up with the two and we like to use one or the other for different things.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really mind either way. What we have now is a bit of a fudge, but it seems to work. The slight downside is that schools don't seem overly forthright in teaching metric units, so we end up never being too certain about anything.

(Original post by Psyk)
    Small measurements I think in centimetres. Penis size I think in inches.
    Considering the former, I'm surprised by the latter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Time Tourist)
    Because we're not French, we're English.
    :indiff:

So we shouldn't adopt the most logical, easy-to-use system, and should instead maintain an outdated, unscientific system that is extremely hard to manipulate units with . . . because we're English?

I'm English, I exclusively use metric. Get with the times, Imperial was fine when we didn't know any better, but now there's just no excuse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    I don't live in Denmark If I'm abroad, then I say whatever the price list or sign says lol
    hehe right... It'll get a new name pretty quick trust me :p: I mean the name pint came from somewhere..
    what did they say before? Give me a horn of beer? :viking:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    What the . . .

How did you do science, then? Virtually all SI units are metric.

Personally, I'm in favour of complete metrification (spell-checker tells me this isn't a word :hmmm: ), even time. Yeah, it would be confusing for a bit, but I think it's logical.
    I dunno, it was just popping numbers into formula really and my calculator took care of the rest. No understanding was needed. It was enough to get me an A for gcse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Considering the former, I'm surprised by the latter.
    You wouldn't be suprised if you had seen it.

6 inches is big right?

ReputationRep:
    The ook?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mumitroldeN)
    hehe right... It'll get a new name pretty quick trust me :p: I mean the name pint came from somewhere..
    what did they say before? Give me a horn of beer? :viking:
    Not really the point though.

Just seems like a waste of time and money to change a pint to something else, when it's not like we lean across the bar and work out how much we're paying per litre for the ale. Nobody has a problem with asking for a pint in the UK, so I don't see the point in changing it tbh, just seems like a waste of resources.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adonis)
    for example, a lot of people still give weights in stones
    heights in feet/inches
    pints of milk
    etc ...

so, why?
    Because giving my weight in stones sounds meatier

ReputationRep:
    Cause i'd rather have a quarter pounder with cheese than a royalé with cheese :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    Not really the point though.

Just seems like a waste of time and money to change a pint to something else, when it's not like we lean across the bar and work out how much we're paying per litre for the ale. Nobody has a problem with asking for a pint in the UK, so I don't see the point in changing it tbh, just seems like a waste of resources.
    I get your point it is expensive but wouldn't it make sence to have ALL mesurements in the same system? For instance petrol prices/mileage etc. like someone mentioned before?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    :indiff:

So we shouldn't adopt the most logical, easy-to-use system, and should instead maintain an outdated, unscientific system that is extremely hard to manipulate units with . . . because we're English?

I'm English, I exclusively use metric. Get with the times, Imperial was fine when we didn't know any better, but now there's just no excuse.
    Give it a rest...

Anyway, I like this passage:

To the outside observer, the English monetary system lacked all logic. To the English themselves, however, it was all of a piece with their weights and measures, which were constructed by division rather than addition, and which therefore presented strange angularities of arithmetic: eight pints to the gallon, fourteen pounds to the stone, eight stone to the hundredweight, twelve inches to the foot, three feet to the yard and 1,760 yards to the mile, amazingly – not to speak of rods and perches, gills and tuns. Weights and measures mediate our day-to-day transactions; hence they are imprinted with our sense of membership. They are symbols of the social order and distillations of our daily habits.

The old English measures once had their equivalents on the continent. But, the French believed, they were symbols of a hierarchical, backward-looking society, a society that paid more respect to custom and precedent than to progress and the future. They were muddled, improvised and full of compromises, in just the way that human life is full of compromises when insufficiently controlled. What was needed, the revolutionaries thought, was a system of measures expressive of the new social order, based on Reason, progress, discipline and the future. Since the decimal system is the basis of arithmetic, and since mathematics is the symbol of Reason and its cold imperatives, the decimal system must be imposed by force, in order to shake people free of their old attachments.

The distinction between the imperial and the metric systems corresponds to the distinction between the reasonable and the rational, between solutions achieved through custom and compromise and those imposed by a plan. Muddled though imperial measures may appear to those obsessed by mathematics, they are - unlike the metric system - self-evidently the product of life. In the ordinary, cheerful and yielding transactions between people, measurement proceeds by dividing and multiplying, not by adding. The French revolutionaries believed that by changing weights and measures, calendars and festivals, street-names and landmarks, they could more effectively undermine the old and local attachments of the French people, so as to conscript them behind their international purpose. The survival of the old weights and measures in England testifies to the underlying principle of English society - the principle that society should be governed not from above but from within; by custom, tradition and compromise, and by a habit of reasonableness of which the single most important enemy is Reason. English measures were designed for the promotion of comfortable deals and just shares, and not for the convenience of the state accountant. They were of a piece with those great inventions of English law - joint ownership (conceived as a ‘trust for sale’) and limited liability - inventions which instead of retarding enterprise, as those with rational minds imagine, put England a hundred years ahead of continental Europe in the search for industrial prosperity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mumitroldeN)
    I get your point it is expensive but wouldn't it make sence to have ALL mesurements in the same system? For instance petrol prices/mileage etc. like someone mentioned before?
    But what's the advantage for say pub drinks? I know only a few landlords, but none have ever had problems understanding gallons, customers don't have a problem with pints, and we don't do anything with beer other than drink it really

Like I said earlier, I can completely understand that in terms of say selling in supermarkets, it's easier for customers to work out value for money, because cans and bottles come in 300, 330, 440, 500, 568 etc, so the immediate action would be to convert it to say litres.

Likewise with fuel, your infometer tells you miles per gallons, but you pay for it by the litre, so I completely agree with changing to kilometers for driving.

It's just that, for beer for example, I don't see the point spending the money or time...

ReputationRep:
    It's because of old people. In a few hundred years we'll be using base 32 anyway so it doesn't matter.

ReputationRep:
    It will die out with old people

As far as I know the only 2 exemptions that the UK has for Imperial is pints in a pub and miles on the road.

Everything else including all food and drink has to have a metric amount. They can include imperial if they want.

Some other things, like height have remained in common useage though.

ReputationRep:
    What annoying is that fuel is sold in litres and fuel consumption is done in miles per gallon.
    Also speed, I would personally prefer meters per second (benz). You can actually visualise something going at a meter per second. But a mile or km per hour...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Because most people were traditionally brought up with the Imperial system, and in the context of everyday usage, Imperial works fine.
    your sig is lol :P

ReputationRep:
    its because napoleon never managed to take over britain and impose the metric which he used in his other conquered terrortires which is why germany use a metric system when he took over he changed the system to a universal one so goods could be calculated and exchanged more effectively in his empire

ReputationRep:
    Fear of becoming French. No, really.

I can work in both but definitely prefer metric for weight and volume. Speed I can do in anything but usually think in miles per hour. Distance and height I can do in either and have no preference.

I'd prefer a standardisation across the board.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadnessRed)
    What annoying is that fuel is sold in litres and fuel consumption is done in miles per gallon.
    Also speed, I would personally prefer meters per second (benz). You can actually visualise something going at a meter per second. But a mile or km per hour...
    its actually very easy to work out petrol cost per litre. mine is approx 10p a mile!

MPG, again is just an old method of calculating things and is needless thesedays.

i spose 40mpg sounds better than 10 miles per litre (and you would want it to be X km per litre anyway ideally)

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.