Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I wish!
    No, that 81/100 isn't into UMS it's raw.
    Last year i got 74/100 CW and it was 51 UMS, so maybe that 81/100 will be around 55 UMS...
    So I'll need 80/130 to get 135 total.

(Original post by nastynas)
    Web logs
    Generation files
    The algorithm was a bit tricky...
    I did the web logs bit wrong, the answer is a blog. as for the generation files, i put previous backups. Think I may have over complicated my algorithm, hope I dont have a retarded examiner.

I didn't know how to do the masking, or explain how to do the backus-naur form. The long questions were piss easy.

Too much writing involved

ReputationRep:
    I found it pretty good. I was shocked and a bit upset that there was no questions on Sign and Magnitude, Two's Complement, Floating Point Form etc as I had revised them a lot and was quite good at them.

I need 71/100 for an A overall so I have my fingers crossed

ReputationRep:
    Thought it was pretty good. I just realised I drew the multi-level index diagram wrong,though; I wrote 'address' instead of key as the column header for some stupid reason. Oh well. I thought everything else was pretty okay, though - the algorithm was a bit weird compared to past paper questions but fine (...I hope) and, um, can't remember the rest. Most of my class got the web log thing confused but I actually misread it as 'web blog' so got that fine I think, haha.

ReputationRep:
    For the last question,
    Did you guys give situations on when to use each HCI?
    Or just describe each one, how it can be used and the advantages/disadvantages?

And, the syntax diagram was, digit (6 times), and letter was recursive....

for the CASE tools, I said, Debugging/testing and design tools... 2 more i cant remember them now!

For the question bellow the CASE, program trace/variable watch/break point and store dump

ReputationRep:
    For the last question,
    Did you guys give situations on when to use each HCI?
    Or just describe each one, how it can be used and the advantages/disadvantages?

And, the syntax diagram was, digit (6 times), and letter was recursive....

for the CASE tools, I said, Debugging/testing and design tools... 2 more i cant remember them now!

For the question bellow the CASE, program trace/variable watch/break point and store dump
    I gave a situation for handwriting recognition (signature recognition) but for the rest simply explained what they were and gave advantages and disadvantages.

For the CASE tools I said Graphics Tools and Interface Generator, and for the question below I said Program Trace, Variable Watch, Break Point, Store Dump and Error Diagnostics.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone draw a syntax diagram? I am hopeless at them!
    For the Backus Naur definition though, I got something like :
    <digit> ::= 0|1|2|3....|9
    <letter> ::= A|B|C|D...|Z
    <digits> ::= <digit> <digit> <digit> <digit> <digit> <digit>
    <letters> ::= <letter>|<letters><letter>
    <code> ::= <digits><letters>

Look about right?

I think I missed up question 14 on time slicing/partioning/scheduling etc, and maybe the one about Disaster Recovery...

What did everyone write for the generations of files question? And the 3rd normal form question, did you have 3 or 4 tables?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maniacsandwichbar)
    Can anyone draw a syntax diagram? I am hopeless at them!
    For the Backus Naur definition though, I got something like :
    <digit> ::= 0|1|2|3....|9
    <letter> ::= A|B|C|D...|Z
    <digits> ::= <digit> <digit> <digit> <digit> <digit> <digit>
    <letters> ::= <letter>|<letters><letter>
    <code> ::= <digits><letters>

Look about right?
    I wrote exactly that.

What did everyone write for the generations of files question? And the 3rd normal form question, did you have 3 or 4 tables?
    For the generation of files question I wrote about 'Son', 'Father' and 'Grandfather' files and how they are useful as three backups are made. I had 5 tables in my Third Normal Form question so I probably messed that up :/

ReputationRep:
    I thought the <digit> <digit> <digit> <digit> <digit> <digit> thing looked a bit stupid though but couldn't see any other way to do it...

Well, I drew an E-R diagram and got a many-many relationship, so stuck a table in the middle, my tables were called something like :
    Shop, ShopItem, Item, Manufacturer.

tblShop(ShopCode, Name, Address...)
    tblShopItem(ShopCode, ItemCode, ManufacturerCode) (purple = foreign keys)
    tblItem(ItemCode, Name, Colour, Price...)
    tblManufacturer(ManufacturerCode, Name, Contact...)

(This is something what my 3rd normal form answer was)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luffy360)
    I wrote exactly that.

For the generation of files question I wrote about 'Son', 'Father' and 'Grandfather' files and how they are useful as three backups are made. I had 5 tables in my Third Normal Form question so I probably messed that up :/
    omg i did that aswell!
    For the 3MF i did,

Shop(ShopCode, Name, Address...)
    lItem(ItemCode, Name, Colour, Price...)
    Manufacturer(ManufacturerCode, Name, Contact...)
    ItemStock(ItemStockID,ItemID,ShopCode,NumberInStock)

Pink being foreign keys....

ReputationRep:
    Where's your foreign key to the manufacturer table?

ReputationRep:
    I think I missed up question 14 on time slicing/partioning/scheduling etc,
    Me too, haha. I just regurgitated what I remembered from past mark schemes. Whoever marks my paper will probably spit on it. C'est la vie. Definitely my worst answer, though.

Shop(ShopCode, Name, Address...)
    lItem(ItemCode, Name, Colour, Price...)
    Manufacturer(ManufacturerCode, Name, Contact...)
    ItemStock(ItemStockID,ItemID,ShopCode,NumberInStock)
    I had this as well, except I had Manufacturer Code as a foreign key in the Item table as well. And in the ItemStock table I had ItemID and ShopCode acting as a double primary key instead of ItemStockID. I remember from a past paper I did the other week that they accept both versions.

You guys have confused me a little about the last question! I didn't even bother describing. I was just like, yeah, examiner, speech synthesis is good because; no, wait, speech synthesis is bad, because...

Bah!

But my real question is, did you guys use an array for the algorithm question?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darcied)
    Me too, haha. I just regurgitated what I remembered from past mark schemes. Whoever marks my paper will probably spit on it. C'est la vie. Definitely my worst answer, though.
    I know right, I just completely rambled, saying that
    Time slicing is a fixed amount of processor time that can be allocated to a process, each process can receive one or more time slices depending on priority?

Scheduling - where processer schedules its time, e.g. round robin - moves round process servicing each one blah blah blah

Partitioning - processor splits memory into fixed or variable size chunks, each process is given a specific area of memory to reside in; disadvantage of fixed size partitioning is that some processes may require more money than is allowed in the partition?

How many marks you reckon out of 8? (This is pretty much all I wrote)

ReputationRep:

But my real question is, did you guys use an array for the algorithm question?!
    Of course! MonthlyRainfall(11) is Integer

ReputationRep:
    So, will i only drop 1 mark for my BNF?

ReputationRep:
    So, will i only drop 1 mark for my BNF?
    Why do you think you will drop a mark?

ReputationRep:
    I know right, I just completely rambled, saying that
    Time slicing is a fixed amount of processor time that can be allocated to a process, each process can receive one or more time slices depending on priority?

Scheduling - where processer schedules its time, e.g. round robin - moves round process servicing each one blah blah blah

Partitioning - processor splits memory into fixed or variable size chunks, each process is given a specific area of memory to reside in; disadvantage of fixed size partitioning is that some processes may require more money than is allowed in the partition?

How many marks you reckon out of 8? (This is pretty much all I wrote)
    Man, that's pretty much exactly what I wrote! I rambled a bit more on the time slice bit, though. I think you'd probably get one mark for each point you made there - so probably 6 or something? I don't really know; but if it follows past mark schemes, that's what I'd guess. If you made a point or two in the 'blah blah blah' bit (:P) then you could maybe hit higher.

Of course! MonthlyRainfall(11) is Integer
    Excellent! Although, I didn't do 11. I did 1 to 12. I knew even as I was writing it and reading over it after that it was wrong, that an array began at 0, but I didn't want to change it and assumed the examiner would get me. I sort of wish I had changed it now, haha, but maybe they'll be lenient on that point.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you think you will drop a mark?
    Because I didnt put a foreign key to the manufacturer table?

ReputationRep:
    Man, that's pretty much exactly what I wrote! I rambled a bit more on the time slice bit, though. I think you'd probably get one mark for each point you made there - so probably 6 or something? I don't really know; but if it follows past mark schemes, that's what I'd guess. If you made a point or two in the 'blah blah blah' bit (:P) then you could maybe hit higher.
    Lmao, in the "blah blah blah" bit, I think I wrote that even if a higher process goes to the front of the list of processes, the processor will continue moving round the processes, which could mean that lower priority processes are being serviced before the higher priority one which could be a disadvantage if the high priority one is really important.

Excellent! Although, I didn't do 11. I did 1 to 12. I knew even as I was writing it and reading over it after that it was wrong, that an array began at 0, but I didn't want to change it and assumed the examiner would get me. I sort of wish I had changed it now, haha, but maybe they'll be lenient on that point.
    I remember in lesson someone asked my teacher whether to start an array at 0 or 1 and she said as long as you're consistent it doesn't matter, so I don't know... :confused:

Did you do 2 For Next loops?

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and I mentioned polling (you've gotta love polling ) where the processor asks each process if it would like a time slice :P

@Nastynas, I'm not sure to be honest, possibly, because there is no linking between the 'main' table and the manufacturer table... I don't even know if it was 3 or 4 or even 5 tables!

And, do you lose marks if you write "tblItem" as opposed to "Item"?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 25, 2010

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.