History- America Boom Bust and Recovery, Edexcel June 16th Watch

This discussion is closed.
Individual
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I've told myself i will do six hours of American revision today, so far i have done 40 minutes, i feel it is going to be a long night...
Hattie1992
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hi everyone, I'm doing the edexcel History exam on Wednesday as well, and quite frankly to say that I'm unprepared would be an understatement! My teacher gave me a practise question that I'm struggling with, and I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to suggest a possible essay plan - here's the question:
"Do you agree with the view that the most important outcome of the Wall Street Crash from 1929 - 1932 was the collapse of national confidence?"
Individual
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Hattie1992)
Hi everyone, I'm doing the edexcel History exam on Wednesday as well, and quite frankly to say that I'm unprepared would be an understatement! My teacher gave me a practise question that I'm struggling with, and I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to suggest a possible essay plan - here's the question:
"Do you agree with the view that the most important outcome of the Wall Street Crash from 1929 - 1932 was the collapse of national confidence?"
I'm not studying the wall street crash and Hoover/depression, if that question doesn't have sources attached then it is not a relevant question, the New Deal/ Hoover and the Wall street crash are source/knowledge questions.
alliefunkin
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Can anyone possibly help me??? I've just realised that they might ask a question on why prohibition failed...arghhhh! I seriously have no idea, would anyone be able to shed some light on the situation??
partypool
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by alliefunkin)
Can anyone possibly help me??? I've just realised that they might ask a question on why prohibition failed...arghhhh! I seriously have no idea, would anyone be able to shed some light on the situation??
Prohibition failed for many reasons. I done my USA exam in january and im pretty sure i got a question on prohibition.
You need to know: 1)Why Prohibition was introduced. 2)What effects prohibition had on society. 3)The importance of gansters
Here are the main effects of Prohibition:
-vocabulary (speakeasies, mooshine etc)
-smuggling (alchohol was produced illegally or smuggled from Europe. some doctors even prescribed 'medicinal whisky')
-speakeasies (more speakeasies than there were legal saloons before prohibition. new york alone had more than 30,000 speakeasies by 1930)
-Health (Mixed consequeces = deaths from alchoholism fell, mut many people dies from drinking poisoned alchohol which was illegally brewed.)
-the brewing industry (in 1915 - 1345 breweries, in 1934 - only 756)
ytang25
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I got a feeling that they'll ask a social tension question that transcends the bullet points ie from the 1920s-50s!!!!

I hope prohibition doesn't come up cos I'm not bothered to revise it ah
sharpiiie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i know nothing! i will fail tomorrow
icyescape
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hey I don't really think questions will be set that transcend bullet points that are significantly far up in chronology
ytang25
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by icyescape)
Hey I don't really think questions will be set that transcend bullet points that are significantly far up in chronology

Yeah but I figured they could link social tensions in that way just a feeling. Hopefully theyll confine social tensiosn to the 1920s, that'll be perfect.
Emjem123x
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by alliefunkin)
SO nervous for tomorrow ...it's unlikely prohibition will come back on again as it was on the specification (well, at least that's what i'm hoping)

Why prohibition failed;
Disorganisation of the opposition (asides from a rally in NY, parade in Baltimore & a resolution against taking away the working man's beer by the American Federation Labour) - there was little protest
Rises in crime and gangsterism
Geographical Difficulties (Note US had 18,700 miles of coastline; smuggling!)
Bootleggers - Remus
Industrial Alcohol
Problems for Treasury Agents (many were susceptible for taking bribes - around 10% agents fined for taking bribes)
Popularity of Speakeasies
Division amongst supporters (e.g. Anti-Saloon League were bitterly divided, some wanted stricter enforcement others emphasised education programmes to prevent drinking in the first place)
& the Role of the Government - gov did not do more to support prohibition as it did not want to sway rich/influential voters who enjoyed a drink
Individual
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Prohibition probably won't come up on its own, it could however come up as part of another question.

Those talking about the multi bullet point thing, i wouldn't worry, as someone said earlier, they will not ask questions about social tensions throughout 1917-1950. Trust me, it will just not happen, when they said it could be from more than one bullet point, they were implying how you may need knowledge about the tensions of society to answer prosperity questions etc, it may cross, where relevant.
icyescape
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't think you are allowed to discuss the examination.

But since the board isn't locked, I don't know.

But refrain from doing so.
LadySmythe
Badges: 19
Report 8 years ago
Thread's open, sorry its a bit late
icyescape
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
heyyyy thanks!

omg how did everyone find it!

the questions were messed up.
I did immigration in A and international trade in B
Individual
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
heyyyy thanks!

omg how did everyone find it!

the questions were messed up.
I did immigration in A and international trade in B
I did immigration for A to! What did you write about for that?

And the second question, international trade, was that not the question for the other topic? (unless you have done both)
icyescape
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Individual)
I did immigration for A to! What did you write about for that?

And the second question, international trade, was that not the question for the other topic? (unless you have done both)
The section B question, I did controversy A (reasons for great depression)

I don't exactly remember what all I wrote for immigration but:
- changing society --> return to normalcy after US war effort
- roman Catholicism, city life and anti-prohibition were all linked to immigrants that flooded US after WW1
- wake of russian revolution + Anti German sentiments
- Red Scare + Sacco Venzetti + Palmer raids--> highlights fear of communism and anti European sentiment
- Immigration Laws, how they were in favour of anglo saxons.
BUT! - WW1 not most important since:
- KKK
- Religious Fundamentalism
- Internal population migration --> bigtown v/s small town
- Too much to deal with domestically - gangsterism
- African american influence on youth, not linked with WW1.
Individual
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The section B question, I did controversy A (reasons for great depression)

I don't exactly remember what all I wrote for immigration but:
- changing society --> return to normalcy after US war effort
- roman Catholicism, city life and anti-prohibition were all linked to immigrants that flooded US after WW1
- wake of russian revolution + Anti German sentiments
- Red Scare + Sacco Venzetti + Palmer raids--> highlights fear of communism and anti European sentiment
- Immigration Laws, how they were in favour of anglo saxons.
BUT! - WW1 not most important since:
- KKK
- Religious Fundamentalism
- Internal population migration --> bigtown v/s small town
- Too much to deal with domestically - gangsterism
- African american influence on youth, not linked with WW1.
That sounds a lot like what i wrote What grade are you hoping for?
ytang25
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
How did people actually LINK World War I with immigration!!?!?!
Individual
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ytang25)
How did people actually LINK World War I with immigration!!?!?!
I spoke about how the demographic wanted a return to normalcy, they were eager to reduce governmental role which had increased over the war years, and also eager to remain isolationist, stay out of the affairs of other countries, this was reflected in their immigration policy. I however argued this was all product of 19th century vs 20th century, social tensions etc, they could not live in a society such as that blah blah..
chylanduk
Report 8 years ago
Did anyone else do the second question in part A, about "McCarthyism"? I know a fair bit about it, but half way through thought I should have gone for the other question! It was far too narrow a focus. Eek.

The second one, I did the New Deal question. That was a gift, really, although there wasn't too much information in the sources to trigger the memory if you'd forgotten anything. We'll see. I'd like a B please, Zeus.

I'm amused by how we all have warnings.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1388)
79.59%
Leave (356)
20.41%

Watched Threads