Turn on thread page Beta

Which university course is the most DIFFICULT to write a Personal Statement for? watch

ReputationRep:
    Law isn't a vocational subject.

ReputationRep:
    I imagine that philosophy or theology are hard ones to write, avoiding all the cliches.

ReputationRep:
    Writing a Law personal statement really isn't as hard as it seems. I wrote one yesterday in about three hours and the admissions officer at Manchester seems to have liked it! I didn't even talk about books/work experience, just what I liked about it. I guess if you really like a subject, the words can flow very easily once you get started.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by (:Becca(:)
    Personally, I'm finding languages an absolute ***** to write a PS for, it's so hard to find stuff to actually write about for it.
    Surely there's enough to talk about French culture/history/literature?

ReputationRep:
    boat design at coventry

ReputationRep:
    poop studies.. you can't exactly talk about **** on your personal statement can you? ahha only joking.. Id say chemical engineering. and MEDICINE. 'I like healing ppl?' wtff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    Surely there's enough to talk about French culture/history/literature?
    I'm applying for German and Italian actually. :P

ReputationRep:
    Law, obviously.

ReputationRep:
    Oh right yeah sorry! (dunno why I sometimes assume that languages degree = French degree Maybe because French is simply the BEST language out there?).

Have you visited the Personal Statements section here? Some of them are pretty awful and barely even mention the subject :eek:, but there's some decent ones that give you great ideas (however, make sure you don't accidentally plagiarise btw. If a sentence you just wrote seems to ring a bell in your head, be very wary).

ReputationRep:
    I wrote my first personal statement about Spanish and Portuguese, which have the advantage of being Iberian languages, and I had a hard time at first. Try doing it like why you like languages in general, then a paragraph on German with historical aspects or films/books you've enjoyed, and then do the same for Italian and then link them with your A-levels or something? I agree it's difficult, but two languages often gives you more to talk about.

ReputationRep:
    Oh right yeah sorry! (dunno why I sometimes assume that languages degree = French degree Maybe because French is simply the BEST language out there?).

Have you visited the Personal Statements section here? Some of them are pretty awful and barely even mention the subject :eek:, but there's some decent ones that give you great ideas (however, make sure you don't accidentally plagiarise btw. If a sentence you just wrote seems to ring a bell in your head, be very wary).
    No problem, loads of people seem to think doing languages=doing French. I always preferred German myself.

ReputationRep:
    Asking out of interest. What I mean could also be read as "Which university course is the hardest to convey your interest for?"

Personally I'd say something like Dentistry (or Optometry). What are you even supposed to write about?! I mean you can't possibly talk at length about your interest in teeth now can you? :eek3:
    Managed to write a dentistry PS without saying "Teeth are so shiny and white, I want to put them in glass jars" easy enough -_-

I can post it up on TSR if anyone is really THAT curious; no use for it now. :p: Basically it's just "Science is cool", "I can do teamwork" and the killer "I'll pretend that I have manual dexterity..."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by failingatm)
    and MEDICINE. 'I like healing ppl?' wtff
    lol... is that what you think medical applicants write on their statements? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Markh1000)
    lol... is that what you think medical applicants write on their statements? :rolleyes:
    Lol nahhh Im not retarded. Im applying for medicine soon so I know we have to write about **** like voluntary work and experience and what skills you have and other stuff like that. And also why you make a good doctor and how all rounded you are. or atleast.. that what Ive been told :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    PPE was quite hard to fit everything I wanted to say in the word limit

ReputationRep:
    Lol nahhh Im not retarded. Im applying for medicine soon so I know we have to write about **** like voluntary work and experience and what skills you have and other stuff like that. And also why you make a good doctor and how all rounded you are. or atleast.. that what Ive been told :hmmm:
    Well it's not a bad place to start lol

Have a look here if you're interested: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...nal_Statements

ReputationRep:
    Well it's not a bad place to start lol
    Hah Im going to make a great medicine applicant... yeah I can tell.

ReputationRep:
    Hah Im going to make a great medicine applicant... yeah I can tell.
    Check my edit, lol

ReputationRep:
    Check my edit, lol
    Oh... ughh looks like work thanks anyway bro

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angela_Beth)
    I'd say if you were applying for a joint course, with two really different subjects in it, eg Biology and French, English and Economics...

It would be hard to be really enthusiastic about two very different subjects in a small space. After that, I'd say I'd really struggle to write about dentistry, computer science, theology, law...
    I dunno, I think it's hard to write about two relatively similar subjects too. I applied for English Lit and Comparative Lit, but I had a hard time balancing raving about literary theory and my multicultural background with explaining why I'm interested in English literature in particular.

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.