Turn on thread page Beta

Tony Hayward watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The G Doctor)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10362139
    Two things:
    Why did it take him 2 months to speak up?
    Do you really think Tony Hayward would have been the first notified? There would have been ranks in between rig workers and board members you know...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vnupe)
    If this had happened on British shores, he would be public enemy number one... SMH
    We never acted like the Americans when the American owned Piper Alpha rig exploded, killing over 15 times more British People than the number of Americans that died on the Deepwater Horizon rig.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Idiot-Finder]
    (Original post by vnupe)

It is now being said that BP will be able to claim back 40% minimum of any costs because of other companies involved.

Do you not feel ashamed that your own US companies have not stepped up to the plate and given help?

Funny thing is, it will take those US companies under, Transocean etc.. there not as big as BP, I would feel bad for them, but since how the US have been, I shall celebrate when they go bankrupt
    Transocean is part of Haliburton, which is just as big as BP, and they are more diversified... they will not go under, and if they had a contractual agreement with BP to fund 40% of the claims, then so be it... for me its not about a political lynching of BP... its about whomeever is at fault for the disaster being held accountable and paying... hehehe i chuckle at your sentiment... This populist anger is not because they are/were a british company, rather that it is another MNC trying to run rough-shot over the American people...

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=vnupe]
    (Original post by Idiot-Finder)

Transocean is part of Haliburton, which is just as big as BP, and they are more diversified... they will not go under, and if they had a contractual agreement with BP to fund 40% of the claims, then so be it... for me its not about a political lynching of BP... its about whomeever is at fault for the disaster being held accountable and paying... hehehe i chuckle at your sentiment... This populist anger is not because they are/were a british company, rather that it is another MNC trying to run rough-shot over the American people...
    So I presume you are up in arms in the way Haliburton have not paid a cent yet?

Also

Haliburton

Revenue ▲ US$18.279 billion (2008)[4]
    (U.S. 46% International 54%)
    Operating income ▲ $4.010 billion (2008)[4]
    Net income ▲ $2.224 billion (2008)[4]
    Total assets ▲ $14.385 billion (2008)[4]
    Total equity ▲ $7.725 billion (2008)[4]

BP

Revenue US $246.1 billion (2009)[2]
    Operating income US $26.43 billion (2009)[2]
    Net income US $16.58 billion (2009)[2]
    Total assets US $236.0 billion (2009)
    Total equity US $101.6 billion (2009)

Please stop with this rubbish you keep speaking, saying they are the same size is one example of the lies you have made up.

ReputationRep:
    He told Obama BP should stay a stable company.

Erm, they denied claims because they did not provice enough information. Even with this new thing, there are 60,000 where they are waiting for more information.

Please stop this anti-BP stuff when its total rubbish, its a pain in the ass to have to reply.
    I am not surprised that you are not getting the correct news in the UK.. BP is playing the waiting game, there is active documentation/ newspaper reports that show that BP is asking for one set of paperwork, which when supplied is then asking for an additional set, which they did not originally request... then they are placing a 6-8 week processing period before then denying most claims for a third previously unstated reason... it is the typical bait and switch nonsense all MNC pull to frustrate the claimant...

Also they deliberated did not centralise the claim center, so that the claimants would have to go to various disparate departments in-order for their claims to be processed, thus further dragging out the claims process... so please do not make it seem like the claimants were at fault that is mis & dis information at its worse...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vnupe)
    I am not surprised that you are not getting the correct news in the UK.. BP is playing the waiting game, there is active documentation/ newspaper reports that show that BP is asking for one set of paperwork, which when supplied is then asking for an additional set, which they did not originally request... then they are placing a 6-8 week processing period before then denying most claims for a third previously unstated reason... it is the typical bait and switch nonsense all MNC pull to frustrate the claimant...

Also they deliberated did not centralise the claim center, so that the claimants would have to go to various disparate departments in-order for their claims to be processed, thus further dragging out the claims process... so please do not make it seem like the claimants were at fault that is mis & dis information at its worse...
    :facepalm2:

Oh so you say UK media is biast, do you not think the US is aswell LOL?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WBoy92)
    We never acted like the Americans when the American owned Piper Alpha rig exploded, killing over 15 times more British People than the number of Americans that died on the Deepwater Horizon rig.
    was there also a major disaster of epic proportions that ensued, causing millions of residents of four states their livelihood? And almost irreparable damage to your coastline as well as marine life?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vnupe)
    was there also a major disaster of epic proportions that ensued, causing millions of residents of four states their livelihood? And almost irreparable damage to your coastline as well as marine life?
    http://abcnews.go.com/WN/bp-oil-spil...1254252&page=1

the Gulf of Mexico spill is "relatively tiny" compared with the "very big ocean".
    - Sir Tony Hayward.

Who was right all along?

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm2:

Oh so you say UK media is biast, do you not think the US is aswell LOL?
    Wow you are very vitriolic today... I do believe all media is biased in some respects.. I was merely pointing out that the view you have been given or have is not totally correct about the situation in the gulf and BP...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vnupe)
    Wow you are very vitriolic today... I do believe all media is biased in some respects.. I was merely pointing out that the view you have been given or have is not totally correct about the situation in the gulf and BP...
    Please comment on the fact Haliburton is as big as BP according to you in the light of the figures I posted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vnupe)
    As you can see from the link provided, I read UK and US news sites.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_606968.html

ReputationRep:
    Please comment on the fact Haliburton is as big as BP according to you in the light of the figures I posted.
    One second please

You are right BP is bigger than Haliburton... but BP has to watch it's step... the first thing that did was to rid itself of dead weight... Tony hayward and put a new guy in charge... dudley, they hope this will help the market regain trust in the company... time will tell

ReputationRep:
    It's deeply repulsive. If anything highlights the profound unfairness, inequality and lack of justice in modern capitalism, it's Tony Hayward's current situation. After not simply presiding over his company's catastrophic share price plummet, but also being grossly slow and indolent to tackle the worst environmental disaster in US history (with all the ecological and economic harm that has ensued) this man actually can actually start withdrawing a £600,000 a year pension within 18 months? To be frank, it's obscene. These oil companies need very strict regulation and tighter legal control.

ReputationRep:
    Why are you using a nearly 2 month old source with now outdated share prices and figures?

ReputationRep:
    Why are you using a nearly 2 month old source with now outdated share prices and figures?

He forms his opinion first and then tries to dig up facts and figures later, that's why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vnupe)
    One second please

You are right BP is bigger than Haliburton... but BP has to watch it's step... the first thing that did was to rid itself of dead weight... Tony hayward and put a new guy in charge... dudley, they hope this will help the market regain trust in the company... time will tell
    Considering they have had record profits under Hayward, he is hardly dead weight. They have also put him as a director in Russia, where he has many contacts etc..

The fact is BP have $236 bil in assets, they are selling off over the next year $30bil to deal with it.

Haliburton will be liable up to the tune of $8bil odd, thats over half there assets. While I am no business expert, I am pretty sure that would sink them when BP have been heavily hit and are many more times as big in assets and profits.

And they have not come out and offered any funds to locals etc.. yet are getting **** all in bad media in the US compared to BP. Why is this? Should BP have sat on its ass and done nothing and then wait to drag its feet in court like Haliburton are expected to do?

ReputationRep:
    Considering they have had record profits under Hayward, he is hardly dead weight. They have also put him as a director in Russia, where he has many contacts etc..
    If he wasn't dead weight they would not have jettisoned him... director in Russia, that is a 'stay out of sight and you will get your golden parachute assignment'

The fact is BP have $236 bil in assets, they are selling off over the next year $30bil to deal with it.
    They are in trouble, they have to trouble... they have to sell off approx. 15% of their business to stay liquid and keep the trust of the investors... surely not done from a position of strength.. but desperation...

Haliburton will be liable up to the tune of $8bil odd, thats over half there assets.
    According to BP they are liable for 8 billion, but they are just posturing, they will not see a 10th of that money... al Transocean (Haliburton) has to prove is, that they warned BP of the imminent danger... they are magically off the hook...

While I am no business expert, I am pretty sure that would sink them when BP have been heavily hit and are many more times as big in assets and profits.
    Make no mistake BP is in trouble, big trouble... they know it, the investors know it, the claimants know it and the US & UK governments know it... No one in that group wants BP to go under... for various reasons, so its in everyone's interest that BP continues as an entity...

And they have not come out and offered any funds to locals etc.. yet are getting **** all in bad media in the US compared to BP. Why is this?
    They were contracted by BP to provide a service, they gave recommendations, BP disregarded them... if BP can show that Haliburton (Transocean) was at fault then they will be held to the fire just as BP, but as with anything, you go after the top dog first... the top dog was BP... also remember there are some 20 - 30 other rigs in the Gulf, a fair few are under the same agreement BP had with Transocean, and none of those have been found faulty... so you have to ask yourself where does the main fault lie...

[QUOTE]Should BP have sat on its ass and done nothing and then wait to drag its feet in court like Haliburton are expected to do?

I am sure they calculated this before they raised their hand as the main party at fault... I think there is something more sinister coming down the line for BP, and no I do not wish something more sinister on them... I just find it remarkable that any private corporation/entity whose sole purpose is to maximise profits and minimise payments would claim responsibility os quickly. This is unprecedented, usually as you say, they drag the feet and wait to answer questions in court... they must know that a criminal case for negligence is surfacing on the horizon, and then the gloves are off and the amounts really become astronomical!

Also by getting rid of Hayward now, the new guy is given plausible deniability.. he can then claim 'it happened on my predecessors watch'...

ReputationRep:
    Oh so you guys will moan if they had sat on there ass, and when they didn't there must be something more sinister.

Oh, and I have read a few blogs which indicate BP can't be done for criminal negligence because of a factors and it will fail in court, from experts in law and business, not some people on a forum.

Tbh this proves they can't win with you and I won't bother replying because your opinions are crazy. You make the point BP and Transocean have many rigs together, BP have thousands of rigs over the world, none of these have been found faulty, so where does the main fault lie? See how easy it is to make up complete ******** like this which means nothing?

ReputationRep:
    Oh so you guys will moan if they had sat on there ass, and when they didn't there must be something more sinister.

Oh, and I have read a few blogs which indicate BP can't be done for criminal negligence because of a factors and it will fail in court, from experts in law and business, not some people on a forum.

Tbh this proves they can't win with you and I won't bother replying because your opinions are crazy. You make the point BP and Transocean have many rigs together, BP have thousands of rigs over the world, none of these have been found faulty, so where does the main fault lie? See how easy it is to make up complete ******** like this which means nothing?
    Well said sir!

There seems to be a lot of BP bashing because it's easy to do, and Hayward-bashing because he makes for an easy scapegoat.

BP lease the rig, putting the blame entirely on them is like blaming the tenant of a house when the oven degenerates and sets a fire...

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.