Sushi Watch

me, myself and I
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Addzter)
Ahh really? I might check it out. How much is it?
http://www.yosushi.com/parties/sushi...rice-and-rolls

That's a general link. not very helpful however. the one at my nearest Yo! was 2 hours long though, for £50. i still wanna do it :p:

i think it's worth dropping into your local branch - they'll be able to give you more helpful info
me, myself and I
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by K the Failure)
Now I feel like a nice thick slice of fatty tuna sashimi with enough wasabi to mould my genitalia with.

Screw YO! Sushi, go on YouTube!
also true :p:
it's just really hard to get all the ingredients where i live. that, and a class would be pretty sociable and fun too
Leon Trotsky
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by me, myself and I)
http://www.yosushi.com/parties/sushi...rice-and-rolls

That's a general link. not very helpful however. the one at my nearest Yo! was 2 hours long though, for £50. i still wanna do it

i think it's worth dropping into your local branch - they'll be able to give you more helpful info
Thanks a lot, I might just do that.
Norfolkadam
Badges: 15
Report 8 years ago
Yo! varies a lot from place to place. The one in House of Fraser in Reading was terrible when I went, all the sushi was warm, they didn't have any salmon skin, the one in Victoria Station, on the other hand, was excellent, so much choice. The one at Paddington is ok but there's limited choice on the belt.

Blue Mondays are so good. :coma:

I am a bit of a sushi addict which is hard when I'm in Norfolk and the only place to get it is Tesco (yuck), saying that the new sushi place in Norwich, Bambushi, looks promising, their California Rolls are excellent.
Dstbgre
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
also true :p:
it's just really hard to get all the ingredients where i live. that, and a class would be pretty sociable and fun too
I have done both the level 1 and 2 sushi classes at Yo!.

The level 1 one is usually done at your local and covers making inside out rolls, maki, nigiri and hand rolls as well as how to prepare the rice and some of the history of sushi and some interesting facts. Additionally we got unlimited free green tea, water and miso soup as well as one of the hot teriyaki boxes in addition to getting to keep what we made. It is a really good intro to making it but, unless you want the experience of the class, you can learn it all online easily enough. All of the ingredients used in this one were cooked (cucumber maki, tomago nigiri, seafood stick and avocado inside out rolls and hand roll). When I did it it was £40 in Reading but the price varies from venue to venue as far as I know and it lasted about 1.5 hours and then we could sit in to eat what we had made or get stuff off the belt.

The level 2 class takes place at Faringdon in London and I was told that this is the only place that does it. It was a 3 hour class and covered how to do tuna and salmon sashimi + nigiri, prawn nigiri and sea bass sashimi. The amount of fish that was given to you to practice on was incredible (half a side of salmon and just slightly less tuna per person) and they also provided all of the side bits (japanese raddish, cucumber, ginger etc) so you could practice plating up and making your sushi look nice. You also get a sashimi knife, apron and colour booklet with everything you cover in the class as well as lunch which is one of the picnic boxes along with unlimited miso/green tea/water (along with everything you make which is a hell of a lot!). It was meant to be £120 per person but they sometimes do promotions where if you book and pay before a certain date (march for us) you get buy one get one free on the places. It was really good and I would hapilly do it again

Also, when doing the level 1 course, I was told about a level 3 course which is a full day up at the Yo development kitchen in London. This covers everything else on the menu (i.e. all the hot stuff) and the max class size is 2. Dont know the price though - I think it was price on request

If anyone has any questions about the courses feel free to PM me. I think I have covered everything that happened when I went on them but feel free to ask!
beckyl92
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i had it everyday for dinner when i was at college.
i've only ever tried sushi from asda and tesco. i wanna go to a sushi bar
Lamps08
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
WOW! All this for sushi? Get a life folks
gaaraxangel
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i also love sushi! I haven't had it in ages thought =[ i used to buy it at lunch and my friends would all stare at me eating my sushi, being typical me and being a complete weirdo whilst everyone else munched their sand whiches or chippy ,i was the one with sushi =p salmon is my favorite! i also enjoy just getting a packet of salmon trimming from the shops and eating that..it's great!

im glad you made a thread about it!=] x sushi =D
roginho
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by kpwxx)
However, I don't like wasabi.
Where's the fun without the wasabi?
me, myself and I
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Dstbgre)
I have done both the level 1 and 2 sushi classes at Yo!.

The level 1 one is usually done at your local and covers making inside out rolls, maki, nigiri and hand rolls as well as how to prepare the rice and some of the history of sushi and some interesting facts. Additionally we got unlimited free green tea, water and miso soup as well as one of the hot teriyaki boxes in addition to getting to keep what we made. It is a really good intro to making it but, unless you want the experience of the class, you can learn it all online easily enough. All of the ingredients used in this one were cooked (cucumber maki, tomago nigiri, seafood stick and avocado inside out rolls and hand roll). When I did it it was £40 in Reading but the price varies from venue to venue as far as I know and it lasted about 1.5 hours and then we could sit in to eat what we had made or get stuff off the belt.

The level 2 class takes place at Faringdon in London and I was told that this is the only place that does it. It was a 3 hour class and covered how to do tuna and salmon sashimi + nigiri, prawn nigiri and sea bass sashimi. The amount of fish that was given to you to practice on was incredible (half a side of salmon and just slightly less tuna per person) and they also provided all of the side bits (japanese raddish, cucumber, ginger etc) so you could practice plating up and making your sushi look nice. You also get a sashimi knife, apron and colour booklet with everything you cover in the class as well as lunch which is one of the picnic boxes along with unlimited miso/green tea/water (along with everything you make which is a hell of a lot!). It was meant to be £120 per person but they sometimes do promotions where if you book and pay before a certain date (march for us) you get buy one get one free on the places. It was really good and I would hapilly do it again

Also, when doing the level 1 course, I was told about a level 3 course which is a full day up at the Yo development kitchen in London. This covers everything else on the menu (i.e. all the hot stuff) and the max class size is 2. Dont know the price though - I think it was price on request

If anyone has any questions about the courses feel free to PM me. I think I have covered everything that happened when I went on them but feel free to ask!
Wow, thanks this DOES sound really good!
Are you going to do the level 3 then? And what happens once you've done level 3? Can you actually get some sort of qualification? :p:
icn06
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It tastes so fresh and yummy........Haven't had it in ages
King_Blumpkins
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I absoloutely love it!

Eating some right now, and a bit of advice, don't buy the ASDA Sushi as that's a complete rip off. You can get even bigger pieces of sushi from an actual Japanese restaraunt which are twice as big as the ASDA box ones for about the same price or less.
Dichotomy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Haha I love the original post.
NaturalDisaster
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Oh, don't! I've been craving sushi for ages! (None of my friends like Sushi, and it's no fun going to Yo! Sushi by yourself...) Now I'm even more hungry. Sushiiiiiiiiii....I need money for sushi NOW!
Jellynubbin
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
mmmmmmmmmmm :sogood:
cowsgoquack
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i find sushi to be very frustrating as you have to eat a million trillion zillion portions to even be remotely filled
.snowflake.
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by kpwxx)
I've never made sushi though. We once tried but no shop[ in my entire town sold nori.
Try going into your local Tescos, they sell nori and other sushi stuff next to where they stock all the polish foods.
EskimoJo
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Sushi IS wonderful. I haven't had any for about 2 months now due to poorness. I usually eat it once a week or two when I have money. I settle for the imitation stuff from supermarkets when needs be, because it's still yummy!

God I need a job quick! :unimpressed:
travestial
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Addzter)
I can't make it myself! I have to reply on ASDA or Morrisons, of if I'm at the Trafford Centre, the sushi bar with the nice Japanese girls.
real sushi bars are usually decent, it's just the supermarket stuff that looks nothing like real sushi! Tastes nothing like it either.
Dstbgre
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Wow, thanks this DOES sound really good!
Are you going to do the level 3 then? And what happens once you've done level 3? Can you actually get some sort of qualification? :p:
I would love to do the level 3 course but dont have the money to even ask the price at the moment
You get a certificate for each one but I think, if you were to apply for a job at yo, it would just look good to have it on your CV - dont think its a "real" qualification :p:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (79)
26.69%
No (217)
73.31%

Watched Threads