Turn on thread page Beta

Any of you guys or girls still use the clothesline to hang your clothes? Or dryer? watch

• View Poll Results: Dryer? or hang them outside or both?
    Dryer
    11.67%
    Hang them outside
    53.33%
    Both
    35.00%

ReputationRep:
    I actually put them in the conservatory in the summer and the airing cupboard/radiators in the winter. We have a tumble dryer but I generally only use it to get creases out of stuff or if I'm in a rush to leave the house and my jeans are still wet or something. It just shrinks stuff and is an unnecessary use of energy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fat-Love)
    Line - A drier is a waste of good energy and only for those who lack planning skills when it comes to their laundry (oh, and those with the most sensitive skin in the world who insist on 'soft' clothes).

where did you get one of those?
    Erm...I think it was in one of them shops that sell stuff from old houses. A bit like a garage/junk sale. D;

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niju)
    I know, this is probably a lame/dumb question but do any of you still use the clothesline to hang your clothes? I know that people now a days use a clothes dryer to dry their clothes because it's faster, and your clothes come out softer

I know that I used to hang all of my clothes to dry on the line outside or inside but that's because I used to dress up a lot but now I'm more casual so I don't have to worry about my clothes fading or shrinking in the dryer

What do you guys/girls do? Do you all use the dryer now? or still hang your clothes out to dry outside?

If it's sunny or windy outside then the clothes go out on the line, in winter we tend to use the tumble drier. We have plenty of clothes so don't really need them to come through the wash quickly, and to soften things up when they have dried outside I press them with steam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niju)
    Wow 6 people? That must mean the washer is on everyday :P unless you guys cram 6 loads of laundry into one day on the weekend xD
    Yeah we have to do like one or two loads of washing a day - I stopped doing it for about 3 days because I was busy / not at home and the piles mounted up. :/

But tumbledrier = underwear from three loads of washing - so that only goes on every three or four days, while the rest gets dried that day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MovingOn)
    If it's sunny or windy outside then the clothes go out on the line, in winter we tend to use the tumble drier. We have plenty of clothes so don't really need them to come through the wash quickly, and to soften things up when they have dried outside I press them with steam.
    Oh nice I always look for windy days and then if it is really windy outside, then I'll get my laundry done and hang them outside and then they're quite soft

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rawr.ox)
    Yeah we have to do like one or two loads of washing a day - I stopped doing it for about 3 days because I was busy / not at home and the piles mounted up. :/

But tumbledrier = underwear from three loads of washing - so that only goes on every three or four days, while the rest gets dried that day.
    LOL wow!! I don't mind doing the laundry honestly because it's pretty easy You put the clothes into the washing machine and then when it's done you take them out and put them in the dryer or hang them outside the bad part is that sometimes I forget to take out the laundry so it's in my washer for a few hrs after the load has finished.

You guys should get more than one washing machine then like get a normal washer and then you can also wash some of your clothes by hand or get one of those small travel washers that you still need to connect the plug to

Have you seen those wonder washers? they are the BEST for people who live on their own, or if they have too many clothes to wash in just one washer

ReputationRep:
    We hang ours up outside on the line, no space or money for a dryer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hravan)
    At uni I have to use a dryer. (The en-suites are too small to dry clothes in, you're not allowed to dry clothes on the radiator or out of the window. If you do, you get fined. )

At home the clothes line outside is used if the weather is nice. If the weather is bad, they go on the clothes lines in the garage (yes, we have clothing lines strung up in the garage :rolleyes: ). I do sometimes have to sneakily use the dryer when I need certain clothes for that day. (If my mother finds out I used the dryer she would kill me :rolleyes: )
    heh, we have that aswell

:five:

ReputationRep:
    No space in our house for a dryer.
    On the line in summer, on radiators in winter.

ReputationRep:
    Well I live in the city now, we've never had an outside line. In my new flat there's a 'laundry room' with a washing machine and 5 clothes lines coming from the ceiling above it so that's how now I used to have a clothes horse beside the boiler in the last place. I wouldn't use a dryer even if I had one, waste of money when you can do it for free. I used to put them in the big industrial dryers when I was in student halls though, that was awesome! And I didn't have to pay for it

We hang them out at home though, home is in the country.

ReputationRep:
    clothes line here :P

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a dryer. I use clothes line outside (or clothes horse inside if it's raining)

ReputationRep:
    I use a clothes line never had a dryer.

ReputationRep:
    Clothes line. Not only do loads of my clothes hate being tumble dried, but it's eco friendly and way cheaper to "operate". Also we don't have the space for a dryer.

Do use a dryer in Leicester though.

ReputationRep:
    Clothes line, never had a dryer though I don't think I ever will.

ReputationRep:
    Clothes line. Haven't got a dryer nor would I use one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by intensecogitation)
    We normally use the clothesline unless there are clothes that need to be dried soon for use later that day or early tomorrow. The dryer does use a lot of electricity. :-/
    Oh nice

People say that clotheslines are a lot better than using the dryers but a lot of people hate the "starchy" feeling of the clothes when they are dried out on the line xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    Clothes line. Not only do loads of my clothes hate being tumble dried, but it's eco friendly and way cheaper to "operate". Also we don't have the space for a dryer.

Do use a dryer in Leicester though.
    Oh nice I know a lot of business men either hang their clothes out to dry on the line or just put them in the dryer and then iron them later lol. I think it's kinda bad to hang out dark clothes outside especially when it's on a really hot bright and sunny day because the sun makes colors fade xD

In the winter, does your house get really dry?

I know a lot of people hang their clothes up on a line or put them in the dryer and have a humidifier in the house to keep the house from being too dry

ReputationRep:
    I <3 freshly tumble dried clothes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sprockette)
    Well I live in the city now, we've never had an outside line. In my new flat there's a 'laundry room' with a washing machine and 5 clothes lines coming from the ceiling above it so that's how now I used to have a clothes horse beside the boiler in the last place. I wouldn't use a dryer even if I had one, waste of money when you can do it for free. I used to put them in the big industrial dryers when I was in student halls though, that was awesome! And I didn't have to pay for it

We hang them out at home though, home is in the country.
    Oh wow lol that's good Is where you live fairly warm all year round? Like warm enough in the winter to dry your clothes outside?

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.