Turn on thread page Beta

Well done tories for this cut... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by One Man Clique)
    So, in your view, museums, art galleries, national parks and so on and so forth should be unleased onto the free market?
    Museums and art galleries had been created by individuals long before the government took them over. The vast majority you'll find in the world would be privately funded.

I like that they fund the free museums in London as-well, I just don't think it would be that much of an issue if it changed.

ReputationRep:
    Just for those who say scrap it, a point I'd like to make.

Not only does this organization make niche films that aren't of interest to you (not everything has to be flashy and big-budget. The UKFC makes many films of a far higher intellectual and artistic standard than Hollywood does), but it provides employment for many in the media industries in this country.

It is already difficult enough to get jobs in this industry, now that the UKFC's funding has been cut it probably got 10 times more difficult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxo)
    Out of interest would you mind naming a few successful films supported by the UK Film Council? By that I mean received well nationally at least and gathering good reviews. Let's face it, Britain's film industry is pretty poxy (economically at least) and it seems throwing money at it hasn't changed much.
    The Last King of Scotland, This is England, Atonement, Bend It Like Beckham, Nowhere Boy, The Duchess, Fish Tank, The History Boys, Man on Wire, Sunshine.... only a few that the UK Film Council have contributed to. They have also supported the release of many international films that we wouldn't usually get to see, for those that decide to branch out culturally. The British film industry has the potential to thrive and the funding used has already shown the talent that is out there. Whether people decide to take a chance and see the films is up to them.

ReputationRep:
    urgh! stop moaning it has to be done even if it is an investment - almost everything is an investment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YoullFindMeFilming)
    The Last King of Scotland, This is England, Atonement, Bend It Like Beckham, Nowhere Boy, The Duchess, Fish Tank, The History Boys, Man on Wire, Sunshine.... only a few that the UK Film Council have contributed to. They have also supported the release of many international films that we wouldn't usually get to see, for those that decide to branch out culturally. The British film industry has the potential to thrive and the funding used has already shown the talent that is out there. Whether people decide to take a chance and see the films is up to them.
    Cheers, a few decent films there (although Nowhere Boy was absolutely dreadful!). Also, does the council issue grants and the government theoretically receives money back through taxation, or are they investments that must only be paid back if the film is successful?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haychee)
    Nice.

Well I'm not being funny, but taxpayers should not be expected to prop up a service that cannot survive on its own, or they have no interest in.
    For goodness sake, do I have to keep repeating myself? There is £5 for every £1 invested in films through the UK Film Council, and UK independent films took their largest market share in a decade last year. The UK Film Council helps to make this and many other things possible.
    The 'service' as you put it can most certainly survive on its own, but have you ever thought that a film needs money before it starts MAKING money?? And they have shown that they do make money. The UK box office exceeded £1 billion for the first time last year.
    Taxpayers have no interest in film? I think you'll find the majority of people do go to the cinema, and rent or buy DVDs from time to time...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AidanLunn)
    Just for those who say scrap it, a point I'd like to make.

Not only does this organization make niche films that aren't of interest to you (not everything has to be flashy and big-budget. The UKFC makes many films of a far higher intellectual and artistic standard than Hollywood does), but it provides employment for many in the media industries in this country.

It is already difficult enough to get jobs in this industry, now that the UKFC's funding has been cut it probably got 10 times more difficult.
    Yes, they help to support over 35,000 jobs and have many film training and education schemes. They also support first time filmmakers through their first film and at international festivals. It is such a hard industry to get into, why make it harder?

ReputationRep:
    For goodness sake, do I have to keep repeating myself? There is £5 for every £1 invested in films through the UK Film Council, and UK independent films took their largest market share in a decade last year. The UK Film Council helps to make this and many other things possible.
    The 'service' as you put it can most certainly survive on its own, but have you ever thought that a film needs money before it starts MAKING money?? And they have shown that they do make money. The UK box office exceeded £1 billion for the first time last year.
    Taxpayers have no interest in film? I think you'll find the majority of people do go to the cinema, and rent or buy DVDs from time to time...
    Almost all business ventures need money before they start making money. The government cant give money to any and every entrepreneur who wants it.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Truly wonderful news isn't it? :shifty:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    Almost all business ventures need money before they start making money. The government cant give money to any and every entrepreneur who wants it.
    The industry has proven that it is worthy of the investment and that it uses the money wisely.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by The G Doctor)
    The Uk Film Council(Dole office for the British film industry) has been axed
    Do some research you nutcase. The money will still be given to films. The amount of funding is also set to rise. So lease stop making threads its just one fail after another with you.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redreynard)
    if british film is so great, it will pay for itself. no one has to go out and help sell shakespeare's books.
    so ... cut, cut, and cut again! why should my beer money go on crumby arty films that no one wants to watch?
    It saddens me that people like you are allowed to procreate.

ReputationRep:
    The industry has proven that it is worthy of the investment and that it uses the money wisely.
    How so? How is it more worthy than any other industry?

ReputationRep:
    Good. British films aren't that good anyway and even if they were, it's still a well ruminated cutback. The world is possibly on the brink of entering a double dip recession whilst growth is still restrained so forgive us if we don't take into account your arty farty loyalities. You can't feed a family on film.

It's a good day for the Sciences.

ReputationRep:
    If the films can't be profitable, they shouldn't have been made to exist by the subsidies.

If they can be profitable, they can go to private investors like any other business venture and don't need subsidies.

If the British film industry cares about art for art's sake, they can take a cut of the profits from their successful films and donate it to promising new projects.

ReputationRep:
    It is such a hard industry to get into, why make it harder?
    As usual, I sit on the fence with things like this.

It will be harder to get jobs in this industry and it will be **** until a similar organization is established in the future, but there are more pressing concerns such as health and education.

Although it is nice to know that the government now have the money to use on introducing a new education system that is proven to fall flat on its face.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think providing jobs is ever an argument for this sort of thing. Government jobs are created out of the expense of jobs lost, from taxing that money in the first place. A government program could be completly useless (e.g. digging ditches and refilling them) but still 'provide jobs'. The problem is that people are shown the jobs made but not (in this example, productive jobs) the ones which would of been otherwise.

However if the film council really does have a 500% profit margin then that to me is a serious argument. The question is, why is government able to see that profit and capitalize on it? Why aren't individual investors/organizations able to invest in those films (if they make so much profit)?

The argument for government-funded student loans goes along that line. That even though training, for example, a doctor or an engineer, is a very good investment (far more then the usual sectors), not many people want to. At least not enough to afford the demand for engineers and doctors. But I can't think of the reason for films. Which is why Im confused (and suspicious) about it being so successful. In nearly every other part of the market, individual investors have shown to be better then government departments.

ReputationRep:
    It saddens me that people like you are allowed to procreate.
    I don't think that insulting others is a good idea to get your point across.

That will just start an argument rather than continue with a civilised debate.

ReputationRep:
    Tories Are *****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steiss)
    British films aren't that good anyway
    they are if you accept that not all good films have to include someone with an American accent, perfect bodies, and unrealistic "realistic" plots (yeah, LOADS of cars exoplode when they roll over in action films!)

You need to see more movies directed by Shane Meadows beyond This is Britain to see how good films produced by the British film industry can be.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.