Turn on thread page Beta

Cameron: Turkey must join the EU watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    Well I didn't mean it completely seriously, though I am surprised that they're that eager for Turkey to join the EU. My main point was that all EU members must agree on this for it to happen, and they wont.
    Well remember that it took the UK decades before all EU veto-holders backed off and let Britain join in the fun. Britain faced objection after objection, and then France blocked for the country for something like 13 years.

What makes you so sure that all EU members will never, ever allow Turkey in? :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bourgeois)
    No one said the government or the political system. One guy said, "Turkey is hardly muslim" and another guy quoted him and agreed with him.

But yes if we're talking about the official state, Turkey is not a theocracy like Saudi Arabia or Pakistan.
    Ireland has a large Christian population (close to 95%) but it's hardly a Christian state is it? This is what they mean by Turkey is hardly a Muslim country, a lot of its laws go against Islam e.g. banning of hijab in universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    Germany (and Austria) already have very large Turkish populations established in their cities.
    And that is why they are against Turkey's membership in the EU, because their nations have already been flooded by Turks who are either parasites, criminals, or both at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    Well I didn't mean it completely seriously, though I am surprised that they're that eager for Turkey to join the EU. My main point was that all EU members must agree on this for it to happen, and they wont.
    You're surprised? Greece is forced to pay huge amounts of ££ in defense largerly because of Turkey. I think the British do not understand how hard it is to not have France and Netherlands as your neighbours. Once Turkey is in, the Greeks would be chillin'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
    Lol, are you saying that the British Empire wasn't xenophobic or nationalistic?
    Not at all, it would be foolish to suggest that.

However, take the phrases into different contexts. Under the british mandate periods, xenophobia was much more imperialistic. Britain had power and saw the natives of its colonies as inferior. It wasn't nationalistic in the same context as it is used today, rather it sought to influence the world in a more imperial, domineering way.

Today, the xenophobia tends to be more reserved by the middle classes, and voiced by the working class, of whom foriegners are a threat, as opposed to easily conquerable. The nationalism is a bi-product of unwarranted self importance that used to exist in the british mindset, as a means of comforting people that are unable to adapt to rapid change such as the EU. Hence why i refer to it as pseudo-nationalism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AzureMews)
    Germany already do.
    Already do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CombineHarvester)
    Ireland has a large Christian population (close to 95%) but it's hardly a Christian state is it? This is what they mean by Turkey is hardly a Muslim country, a lot of its laws go against Islam e.g. banning of hijab in universities.
    Are you kiddin' me with the lectures? Where the **** did I say that Turkey has a state religion? if that's what they said, they were pretty good in hiding the actual words. What they said was that "Turkey is hardly Muslim" NOT "Turkey is hardly a Muslim state". So if you were to say "Ireland is hardly Christian", I would have replied no Ireland IS Christian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Repressor)
    Already do?
    Have a lot of people coming over from Turkey

ReputationRep:
    Once turkey joins the EU

Britain + turkey + Northern Europe can get together and undermine the French-German Alliance

Turkey economy is much bigger than most eastern Europeans countries Turkey economy is growing there is real business opportunity there

unlike India and China were most of the stuff Britain makes no one can afford to buy and in the case of India we have to assume india will experience 10%+ constant growth for the next 30 years...very unlikely

However When turkey joins , free borders should not be allowed, only turks earning with job offers of 30k + should be allowed it for a period of 15 years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AzureMews)
    Have a lot of people coming over from Turkey
    and so with no border control....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phantom_X)
    Reasons why I love this move by Cameron for once

1. Turkey is a lucrative market, ideal for diplomatic purposes and prevents them becoming close to iran

2. Turkey has hot girls

3. undoubtedly this has pissed off the right wing of the tory faction= epic lulz

4. At least one story a week from the mail/express going "Oh noeeez, Muslims!!!" and this will eradicate tory support, and cameron butt kissing

5. Goes against tory values of euroscepticism. Ie. bye bye true toryism.

even the Republican Party of America supports Turkey Membership so you cant accuse David Cameron of not being being conservative

(Original post by DJkG.1)
    Well remember that it took the UK decades before all EU veto-holders backed off and let Britain join in the fun. Britain faced objection after objection, and then France blocked for the country for something like 13 years.

What makes you so sure that all EU members will never, ever allow Turkey in? :erm:
    I just meant in the near future, not for all eternity ... maybe they will join in decades to come, maybe the EU will have collapsed by then, I can't really speculate on that. But right now, they wont join the EU, I don't think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Repressor)
    and so with no border control....
    :lol: Yeah. Doubt Germany would care though

ReputationRep:
    Not at all, it would be foolish to suggest that.

However, take the phrases into different contexts. Under the british mandate periods, xenophobia was much more imperialistic. Britain had power and saw the natives of its colonies as inferior. It wasn't nationalistic in the same context as it is used today, rather it sought to influence the world in a more imperial, domineering way.

Today, the xenophobia tends to be more reserved by the middle classes, and voiced by the working class, of whom foriegners are a threat, as opposed to easily conquerable. The nationalism is a bi-product of unwarranted self importance that used to exist in the british mindset, as a means of comforting people that are unable to adapt to rapid change such as the EU. Hence why i refer to it as pseudo-nationalism.
    Wow. Another excellent post. I tried to rep you earlier but it wouldn't let me. Wait 13 days please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James10000)
    even the Republican Party of America supports Turkey Membership so you cant accuse David Cameron of not being being conservative
    The Republican Party isn't conservative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James10000)
    o_0 They do ???

wow, thats crazy.

But this is not a conservative move, because i can guarantee that many many tories would be against expansion of the EU, especially the ultra-right faction, and this could actually lead to more support for UKIP if sensationalism works its magic. I can imagine many tories hating david cameron for this, and wishing david davis won the leadership instead.

However, at least Cameron is bieng a little pragmatic with his foriegn policy. He isnt a complete douche after all then.

ReputationRep:
    o_0 They do ???

wow, thats crazy.

But this is not a conservative move, because i can guarantee that many many tories would be against expansion of the EU, especially the ultra-right faction, and this could actually lead to more support for UKIP if sensationalism works its magic. I can imagine many tories hating david cameron for this, and wishing david davis won the leadership instead.

However, at least Cameron is bieng a little pragmatic with his foriegn policy. He isnt a complete douche after all then.
    Why would they (Tories or Republicans) be against it? It's not the expansion of France and Germany's power, it's a way to shoehorn US (and thus UK) influence in the EU.

ReputationRep:
    o_0 They do ???

wow, thats crazy.

George Bush supported Turkey Membership and to me he a non-conservative so pretty right
    Both Obama and Bush Supported Turkish membership
    Turkey is not a enemy nation ? they are part of NATO ffs, they have good ties with isreal until isreal killed 9 Turks and then did not apologize

I do think that turkey should not be given free movement of Labour The EU economy struggles to grow whilst Turkey grows at 11% . I agree many conservative party voters will hate this, but if william hauge supports it and hes pretty right wing its must no be too controversial

I am glad Cameron has some brains but he wasted time by going to India, he should wait at least 10 years to see if India gets anywhere near what China was 20 years ago

Britain needs a new foreign policy the Americans are trying to force Britain into Federal Europe by breaking the 'special relationship'

With Turkey in the EU thanks to Britain , The German-French Alliance will not be as powerful, the french and germans know this and thats why the oppose it

ReputationRep:
    I used to be pro-Turkish membership, but now I would worry it would slow down European Integration, I think we need to consolidate the Union, get states closer, stabilise the €uro, reform CAP, sort out the European Rapid Reaction Force. We should be slow to add additional states until the Union has been strengthened.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don_Scott)
    The Republican Party isn't conservative.
    its still right wing my point being this is not David Cameron being a softie and being too politically correct but a good move

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.