Turn on thread page Beta

Will UK youth culture ever change? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm just wondering when chavs will disappear. Before the late 80s, when rap wasn't fashionable or popular, I'm sure that they were virtually non existant.

Now over 20 years later they won't bloody disappear!

(Original post by AidanLunn)
    I'm just wondering when chavs will disappear. Before the late 80s, when rap wasn't fashionable or popular, I'm sure that they were virtually non existant.

Now over 20 years later they won't bloody disappear!
    This.

Jesus Christ, I can't believe people actually respect chavs.

They're the scum of the earth really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    You have got a very, very good point.

It's certainly true in my experience.

And yes it should damn change!

Britain's teenagers lack manners and respect for their elders.

Oh and btw, you missed a couple of things such as:

*Fornication and under-age sex
    *Crime and vandalism
    *Shunning of their education
    *Experimenting with drugs
    *Increasingly sluttish behaviours

The bold ones are true of me. The un-bold ones aren't. Why are you painting everyone with this brush because you got beaten up by a bunch of young chavs on speed?

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you, to an extent.

(Original post by Steezy)
    The bold ones are true of me. The un-bold ones aren't. Why are you painting everyone with this brush because you got beaten up by a bunch of young chavs on speed?
    Believe me, the un-bold ones are just as true as the bold ones. :yep:

You just haven't experienced it.

ReputationRep:

*Crime and vandalism
    Thanks for that. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, teen culture actually hasn't changed much. It has just been 'revealed' by the media. It's the same with other teen cultures. Besides, only a small proportion of the teen population is as you have stereotyped.
    Furthermore, the image of the teen population will vary depending upon where you live. For instance, I live in a relatively poor town called Oldham where the lives of many teenagers do revolve around drink etc. However, where my cousins live (Walsall) the teen image is a far more positive one.

ReputationRep:
    Believe me, the un-bold ones are just as true as the bold ones. :yep:

You just haven't experienced it.
    No, I've experienced them. Of course I know they're true of some people. The bold ones are true of ME. What I'm saying is that to call it a "youth culture" is a bit over the top. There are **** heads around. Some of them start fights, some of them leave schoool asap to go on the dole, some of them get completely wasted and piss & throw up everywhere. A lot of these people won't dramatically change when they grow up, due to the fact that they're **** heads. None of my friends are like this because I don't hang around with **** heads or go to council estates. It's just such a 'newspaper' thing to do - call it a "youth culture".

As many say the picture you have painted is only applicable to certain areas of the UK. And also only certain things such as the binge drinking culture apply to some places, it is very much mix and match across the UK.

As for will it ever change? Of course it will eventually it is just a phase until something else becomes fashionable or something drastically changes in our country. In my opinion I would give it another 5-10 years before the youth of the UK have made a drastic change.

No, I've experienced them. Of course I know they're true of some people. The bold ones are true of ME. What I'm saying is that to call it a "youth culture" is a bit over the top. There are **** heads around. Some of them start fights, some of them leave schoool asap to go on the dole, some of them get completely wasted and piss & throw up everywhere. A lot of these people won't dramatically change when they grow up, due to the fact that they're **** heads. None of my friends are like this because I don't hang around with **** heads or go to council estates. It's just such a 'newspaper' thing to do - call it a "youth culture".
    Fair enough, but I just hate the fact that my points are actions respected by people or encouraged, e.g. under-age sex etc and it seems to be a "normal" thing where you have to do these things to be "part of the crowd". :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, but I just hate the fact that my points are actions respected by people or encouraged, e.g. under-age sex etc and it seems to be a "normal" thing where you have to do these things to be "part of the crowd". :rolleyes:
    Well that's peer pressure and although it's wrong, has been around for hundreds (if not thousands of years). I'd even go so far to say it probably sped our evolution along a little bit. As for underage sex - I lost my virginity at 15, but not cos of peer pressure, more because I was extremely, extremely horny.

ReputationRep:

*Crime and vandalism
    Are/Were you never a British Teenager?
    I am and...
    * I never had under age sex.
    * never committed any crime.
    *....no that one i did...
    * never done drugs
    *I'm not a slut.

Do you do everything you just listed?
    Im guessing not, stop generalising, you only really get that crap in the not very nice places, i live in a complete dump and it's actually the older people (18-25) doing all that stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Care-Free)
    Are/Were you never a British Teenager?
    I am and...
    * I never had under age sex.
    * never committed any crime.
    *....no that one i did...
    * never done drugs
    *I'm not a slut.

Do you do everything you just listed?
    Im guessing not, stop generalising, you only really get that crap in the not very nice places, i live in a complete dump and it's actually the older people (18-25) doing all that stuff.
    I'll give you a spliff if you nick me a bottle of vodka & have sex with me

ReputationRep:
    I'll give you a spliff if you nick me a bottle of vodka & have sex with me
    Deal :P

ReputationRep:
    BTW, all the generalisers - watch a film called "Eden Lake" and bask in your close-minded, moralistic glory.

Because after all, that's what all teenagers are like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    - Being anti-intellectual
    Says the person who 'wants to punch nerds' or whatever you go on about.

ReputationRep:
    Get ma drink on , ma smoke on and go home with somethin to poke on !

ReputationRep:
    How is it a generalisation?
    applying (incorrect by the way) broad ideas, attributes and motives to a large group of people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TwoZootsPlz)
    Get ma drink on , ma smoke on and go home with somethin to poke on !

Hmmm someone who's obsessed with marijuana. I predict your last shag (if you've even ever had one) was atleast a year ago.

ReputationRep:
    No, I'm guessing this is how most young people behave.
    :rofl:

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.