Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does the kindle have a web browser?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by triiden)
    Does the kindle have a web browser?
    Yes but it's experimental but it's not designed for web browsing anyway.

MP3 playing sucks the battery out of it.

I like it I've read lots of books since having it. I have the wifi version. Plus it's like £140 cheaper than buying an iPod Touch to read on.

It does what I want it to, which is to be able to read books more fluidly. I really struggled more before with reading books because I have such a short attention span but I tend to read real fast on Kindle now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by broadwayrachael)
    I guess its just a personal thing but you can alter the page colour and texture and stuff on the iPad version, so it doesn't hurt my eyes as much as you'd think
    ahh fair enough, kindle is the best for book reading though

ReputationRep:
    Have one, it rules, books can be downloaded for free if you know where to look

yep theres some free projects like projectgutenburg i think but theirs not so many books their worth reading ?? Or is their?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by blueray)
      yep theres some free projects like projectgutenburg i think but theirs not so many books their worth reading ?? Or is their?
      well most of the classics are free. Dickenns, Dumas, Hugo, Conan-Doyle etc. Those not free are very cheap.

yes thats true considering you spent 150 on a kindle

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by b1505)
        This might be a stupid question. With the wi-fi kindle, if you don't have a wi-fi connection where you are (for example in uni accomodation) can you connect it to your laptop to transfer your purchases?
        Unlike an iPhone/iPod touch, you don't actually need to explicitly transfer your purchases. As long as you've got an internet connection, anything you have a kindle app on (be it iPhone, PC, actual Kindle, or whatever else it runs on) will automatically sync with your account.

It does come with a USB cable so you can put mp3s, pdfs, and non-Amazon ebooks on it though, or whatever else you want to put on it. You can also email stuff to it, via [email protected] or [email protected] and it'll download it as and when it can. The @free.kindle.com address applies only to the 3G version, and it forces the file to come via WiFi, as they charge for emailing files over 3G. Obviously with the WiFi only version, it doesn't make a difference.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by alex-hs)
        Unlike an iPhone/iPod touch, you don't actually need to explicitly transfer your purchases. As long as you've got an internet connection, anything you have a kindle app on (be it iPhone, PC, actual Kindle, or whatever else it runs on) will automatically sync with your account.

It does come with a USB cable so you can put mp3s, pdfs, and non-Amazon ebooks on it though, or whatever else you want to put on it. You can also email stuff to it, via [email protected] or [email protected] and it'll download it as and when it can. The @free.kindle.com address applies only to the 3G version, and it forces the file to come via WiFi, as they charge for emailing files over 3G. Obviously with the WiFi only version, it doesn't make a difference.
        Thanks for that! It actually sounds quite good!

Is their an actual video showing what the kindle does?

ReputationRep:
          Is their an actual video showing what the kindle does?
          Why would you need a video? It displays pages of books on a screen and then turns to the next one when you tell it to. Can't see how that requires an explanation through video. But if you were proactive enough to search for a video yourself, you'd probably find one on YouTube.

(Original post by sophisticated)
            n turns to the next one when you tell it to. .
            what via voice command?

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by broadwayrachael)
            I guess its just a personal thing but you can alter the page colour and texture and stuff on the iPad version, so it doesn't hurt my eyes as much as you'd think
            Bet you still get glare problems. Don't get that with e-ink.

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by RyanT)
            Bet you still get glare problems. Don't get that with e-ink.
            well you do a little bit... it's like reading a semi-glossy magazine.

yep

ReputationRep:
              what via voice command?
              Why don't you just search for a video yourself instead of acting like a sarcastic prat? Its obviously not by voice command, there's a button on the side. But then you probably know that full well.

(Original post by sophisticated)
                a sarcastic prat?.
                Please can you watch your tone and anger, I just asked a straight forward question I really don't want insults for replies, the reason I asked about it is because their is a thread for it ie to ask questions about it....

Thank You

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
              Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
            • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
              Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.