Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How did the fight break out? Did they attack them purely because they were white? I doubt this as this is england and there are a lot of white people everywhere. If so then it wasn't a racist attack.

The attackers used racial slurs as a means of insulting their victims. Doesn't make them racist if they didn't mean what they said but just said it to hurt their victims. It is racist if they attacked them because they were white.

Hope that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    I'm rather confused, people here are already specifically speculating it was asians that commited this abhorent racial crime, namely, Pakistani, when nowhere in the article does it say this?

It's clear from the responses who are showing sympathy and who are exploting this for their xenophobic preconceptions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gorrilaz)
    Yes an Asian Pakistani gang terrorising shop owners with swords in GLASGOW is ridiculous and unbelievable.
    It really isn't; the gangs up here are quite bad [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V-QEgYkuVE is the start of a decent documentary, albeit a politically motivated one]

There is an element of separation along ethnic lines in places like Govanhill or that, but there can't be any suggestion that it's more one way than t'other. And it's all equally reprehensible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gorrilaz)
    Yes an Asian Pakistani gang terrorising shop owners with swords in GLASGOW is ridiculous and unbelievable.
    Actually I'd say it was the most likely place. Sword crime is pretty big in glasgow, asian gangs exist... and it actually happened so yes, it's a ridiculous unbelievable true story. Lol what a place the world has come to when everyone assumes people want to just make up lies for whatever reason you think I'd have to make up such a story. I wish I didn't have to say it because it's embarrassing to me as a muslim that these idiots with their bling bling tacky jewelry that reads Allah around their necks would do something like that to natives.. or anyone for that matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    People still go to Harvester? :lolwut:
    (Original post by princessnavi22)
    To be fair, I'd get in to a brawl at the salad bar if some ***** was muscling in on my beetroot!
    You two should be ashamed of yourselves. You made me laugh at the most inappropriate thread. :rofl2:

Tbh Harvester is very budget, haven't been in 12 years. Anyways tbh I don't know what the biggest tragedy is, them being attacked in such a way or having to be treated in Croydon University Hospital. That place is diabolical and the only hospital worse than there has to be Mayday.

ReputationRep:
    Slashing a woman with a broken bottle?
    Someone needs to go Chuck Norris on those ****s.

ReputationRep:
    Well, it would say a lot about Britain now days if they don't get arrested.
    Which they probably won't.

ReputationRep:
    The mainstream media barely acknowledge the existence of instances where English/Scottish/Welsh people are the victims of violent racial assaults. Every time there is a murder, for example, there is barely a peep from the mainstream media... and immediately afterwards a kind of half hearted apology about how they "could have handled it better".

When it's other way around of course, the story is quite different....

I wonder what's going on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kash:))
    I this family was black/asian etc, would have still made this thread?
    exactly.

what race attacked the white people?

i highly doubt it was a racist attack, they're probably **** stirring!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Celtic_Anthony)
    It really isn't; the gangs up here are quite bad [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V-QEgYkuVE is the start of a decent documentary, albeit a politically motivated one]

There is an element of separation along ethnic lines in places like Govanhill or that, but there can't be any suggestion that it's more one way than t'other. And it's all equally reprehensible.
    Pollokshields is pretty crap as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by salty_candy)
    are you mental? the country is no more mine than anyone else's who has lived here their entire life, regardless of where their parents are from.

(Original post by Linweth)
    Silly woman, you cannot own a country.
    Ok, let me make myself clear. I didnt mean it in a ownership way, I just meant that they're British and this is the part of the United Kingdom so I dont think that immigrants should come to the country and just do silly stuff like that because the idea of immigrating is to find a better quality of life for you and your family so they should at least be civil.
    It just makes other immigrants that work hard, look bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellrosk)
    What a remarkably stupid thing to say. Firstly the fact that you associate 'race' with 'immigrants' is worrying, you do realise an immigrant is somebody who has immigrated to this country? Not somebody of a different race to you, if they are born here they are not an immigrant by any measure.

Secondly even if the theoretical perpetrator of the crime was an immigrant, you seem to suggest that they are required to follow the law and 'behave' more than others? What so if you were born here and dare I say white you don't have to 'behave' as much of the rest of us? The law is universal, nobody is exempt.

It's sad to see such underlying racism in this day and age, but alas.
    Well my parents were immigrants to Portugal and I was born there and considered immigrant because, at the end of the day, it is not originally my country.
    Secondly, I never said they should behave more than British people but they should at least behave because, as I've said before, this is not their country. Let's keep it civil.

And I'm black which is why I said that they were making the immigrants that actually behave and work hard, look bad.

ReputationRep:
    Immigrants / hard workers?

More like leaches.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arenas123)
    Sorry what's your source croydon today ? Seriously ?

What kind of pub was this ? I've never been in a pub that wasn't atleast 95% white. How on earth did the other family get away with it ? Nobody stepped in to stop them ? I would say exactly the same thing if you told me that someone got away with racially attacking a muslim in a mosque.

If this happened the way croydon today explained it then it's disgusting. The way any racially motivated attack is. However I highly doubt it went this way. Doesn't seem logical.
    Oh dear, someone call Croydon Today quick! They mustn't have realised that all racially motivated assaults are entirely logical!

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    The race of the attackers is not mentioned, but I highly doubt any white person would take offence to eye contact and call them "White devils".
    People who suggest such things are just in denial, and if they were White why didn't the paper say so to avoid confusion?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.