Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Footballer of the Year 2010 - The Nominations Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    WPOTY has hardly been a decent gauge of the best player in the world. I don't see how it's difficult to see how he's favourite.

But that is irrelevant because this is Colbert's special TSR thread :lovedup:
    TSR has let me down, not one vote for Heskey :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Heskey's ****. Bale is where it's at now :france:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandeep90)
    Sneijder is the favourite.
    (Original post by Colbert)
    Sneijder is the favourite in my eyes, but it wasn't based on odds. As it turns out, I've just checked and he is the favourite with the bookmakers after all. You'll also notice I posted in favour of Messi :yep:
    I disagree. He's not. Messi, Xavi, Iniesta and many others are far better than him. And he lost the World Cup final.

Not biased, but I think either Xavi or Iniesta are gonna get it. Remember when Cannavaro won it in 2006? Why? It was because Italy won the World Cup. I presume this year is going to be the same story. The Golden Ball is going to a Spanish player this year. Totally deserved, imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Victor-PP)
    I disagree. He's not. Messi, Xavi, Iniesta and many others are far better than him. And he lost the World Cup final.

Not biased, but I think either Xavi or Iniesta are gonna get it. Remember when Cannavaro won it in 2006? Why? It was because Italy won the World Cup. I presume this year is going to be the same story. The Golden Ball is going to a Spanish player this year. Totally deserved, imo.
    Favourite does not equal best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rorydaredking)
    Favourite does not equal best.
    True. But Sneijder isn't neither the best player nor the favourite. One of the favourites, yes. But Messi, Xavi, Iniesta and even Ronaldo are way ahead of him.

ReputationRep:
    What do you think favourite means? I think we've established he isn't your personal favourite, but he is still the front runner.

ReputationRep:
    Shall we have a whip-round for a dictionary :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    What do you think favourite means? I think we've established he isn't your personal favourite, but he is still the front runner.
    This is what I've been trying to get at. He is NOT the front runner, imo. :facepalm: Once again, I can think of a handful of players ahead of him. And it's not me who's saying it. It's the papers and the football community. I can't put it to you any clearer.

ReputationRep:
    This is what I've been trying to get at. He is NOT the front runner, imo. :facepalm: Once again, I can think of a handful of players ahead of him. And it's not me who's saying it. It's the papers and the football community. I can't put it to you any clearer.
    I give up. You have failed.

ReputationRep:
    Messi.
    Genuinely a joy to watch him play, and he's very humble along with it.
    Ronaldo is good, but not as good IMO.

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm:

Would you care to read the whole thing?

Show me a reliable source which says that Sneijder and him only is the front runner. Not one of the favourites. As you very well said, the FRONT RUNNER.

Seriously, piss off.

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm:

Would you care to read the whole thing?

Show me a reliable source which says that Sneijder and him only is the front runner. Not one of the favourites. As you very well said, the FRONT RUNNER.

Seriously, piss off.
    If you were a new user I'd think this was another Stilton dupe. I was actually going to ask you to find me a betting site where Wesley was not the favourite but I didn't think you were actually serious.

As I said in my first reply, and in another post in direct reply to you, Sneijder is not my favourite contender.

ReputationRep:
    Milito had possibly the best club season of any player in history in 09/10. A no-show (not through his own fault) at the World cup, and poor form this season, as well as him not being a household name, make him a very unfashionable choice, as the OP said, and based on his poor performances June onwards, its unfair to give the trophy to him.

Ashley Cole plays at leftback, and though I can only remember one mistake for him in the last 5 years (and no bad games either), he wasn't STANDOUT last season, merely his usual consistent excellence. Thats not enough to win the prize.

Forlan, like Milito, is an unfashionable choice, because he played for a worse club in a worse competition, though he was the best player at the world cup by a mile. Average form this season makes him not a realistic choice, but he must be remembered for an incredible season 09-10 as Milito should be.

Snjeider, unfortunately, is the favourite to take home the prize. A very good, but never the less overrated showing at the World Cup, as well as taking home the Treble (called the fulcrum of that Inter side, but in reality, they were genuinely carried by Milito). A very good club season, along with a World Cup final, he will most likely take home the prize.

His goalscoring will never stop in a poor Spanish league and in a phenomenal Barcelona team, but Messi flopped at the World Cup, and that will go against him here. He is a genius of a player, but I'd like to see him excel against British clubs and Inter consistently. He is yet to do that. Probably will come second.

Ronaldo flopped at the World Cup, but lets remember, he came off an injury struck season, playing for a crappy portugal side after carrying an under strength Madrid side all season. Doesn't account for all his crapness at the world cup, but some of it. His record for Madrid is still ridiculously good, and his form this season has been phenomenal.

What I'd like to see; Milito, then Forlan, then Snjeider, then Ashley Cole, then Messi, then Ronaldo.

What will probably happen; Snjeider, then Messi, then Forlan, then Ronaldo, then Milito, then Ashley Cole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DonFahad)
    x
    Good points :yy:

Just realised that Milito missed out in the official nominations :facepalm2: A bit of a travesty really.

If Forlan doesn't make the top 3 it'll just further prove that the Europa League isn't considered important, even by the leading governing bodies. The fact he was also player of the tournament at the world cup should cement his place in the top 3, but I can see him unjustifiably missing out.

ReputationRep:
    If you were a new user I'd think this was another Stilton dupe. I was actually going to ask you to find me a betting site where Wesley was not the favourite but I didn't think you were actually serious.

As I said in my first reply, and in another post in direct reply to you, Sneijder is not my favourite contender.
    [British/Irish] betting sites? Fair enough, I guess.

Heskey, Rooney, Ashley Cole, Bale(great player, though) and Lampard, have not been nominated for the Golden Ball. However, you put forward their names for this invented just-for-fun debate/competition/award of yours. My opinion is that they have not been nominated for some reason... I guess that says it all.

And just for the record, I'm not a new user. But let's just say I'm far from being familiar with what is common and acceptable in this forum, unlike you. I apologise.

Have a nice day.

ReputationRep:
    Go to soccer, then specials
    Sneijder 6/4
    Xavi 3/1
    Iniesta 3/1
    Messi 9/1

http://www.bet365.com/home/

If you still dont understand favourite in terms of betting, get a betting book

ReputationRep:
    I LOVE Diego Forlan... but alas my vote is for Messi.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DonFahad)
    Milito had possibly the best club season of any player in history in 09/10. A no-show (not through his own fault) at the World cup, and poor form this season, as well as him not being a household name, make him a very unfashionable choice, as the OP said, and based on his poor performances June onwards, its unfair to give the trophy to him.

Ashley Cole plays at leftback, and though I can only remember one mistake for him in the last 5 years (and no bad games either), he wasn't STANDOUT last season, merely his usual consistent excellence. Thats not enough to win the prize.

Forlan, like Milito, is an unfashionable choice, because he played for a worse club in a worse competition, though he was the best player at the world cup by a mile. Average form this season makes him not a realistic choice, but he must be remembered for an incredible season 09-10 as Milito should be.

Snjeider, unfortunately, is the favourite to take home the prize. A very good, but never the less overrated showing at the World Cup, as well as taking home the Treble (called the fulcrum of that Inter side, but in reality, they were genuinely carried by Milito). A very good club season, along with a World Cup final, he will most likely take home the prize.

His goalscoring will never stop in a poor Spanish league and in a phenomenal Barcelona team, but Messi flopped at the World Cup, and that will go against him here. He is a genius of a player, but I'd like to see him excel against British clubs and Inter consistently. He is yet to do that. Probably will come second.

Ronaldo flopped at the World Cup, but lets remember, he came off an injury struck season, playing for a crappy portugal side after carrying an under strength Madrid side all season. Doesn't account for all his crapness at the world cup, but some of it. His record for Madrid is still ridiculously good, and his form this season has been phenomenal.

What I'd like to see; Milito, then Forlan, then Snjeider, then Ashley Cole, then Messi, then Ronaldo.

What will probably happen; Snjeider, then Messi, then Forlan, then Ronaldo, then Milito, then Ashley Cole.
    What? Why do you say that? Perhaps because Barça beat Almeria 8-0, for instance? Man Utd won 7-1 recently, and Chelsea won by a difference of several goals on various matches. That's not uncommon in England either. The best two players in the world(Messi and Ronaldo) play in La Liga. Madrid and Barça are amazing clubs.

I'm a great fan of the Premier League. And probably it is the best and most competitive football league in the world. But the Spanish League isn't far behind at all. Not a poor league by any chance.

Do Xavi, Iniesta, Villa, Casillas, Xabi Alonso or Busquets ring any bells?

ReputationRep:
    I would also agree that the rest of the Spanish league is made to look worse simply due to the abundance of talent collected by the top 2 teams. In reality the second tier of Valencia, Villareal, Sevilla, Atletico etc. can hold their own with most, if not all, of Europe.

ReputationRep:
    This is so biased. Where is Schweinsteiger, Ozil, Robben,...

No offense, Gareth Bale is one of the best players right now, but to be Player of the Year, a couple of good matches are not enough. Same counts for Rooney.

I would suggest these 15 (in no particular order)

Iker Casillas
    Cristiano Ronaldo
    Didier Drogba
    Diego Forlan
    Andres iniesta
    Maicon
    Lionel Messi
    Thomas Muller
    Mesut Ozil
    Bastian Schweinsteiger
    Arjen Robben
    Carles Puyol
    Wesley Sneijder
    David Villa
    Xavi

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 30, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.