The Student Room Group

Harvard on BTEC

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
He's acting as if he is a student at MIT. His location setting "united states" certainly suggests that also.

He also says he did a BTEC and got DDD, and was accepted. "i had to do two extra exams for mit but they stil acepted me".

Yet when he speaks of applying to Leeds for Physics, he requires "AAB, with A in Maths and A in physics", clearly showing that he's doing A-levels.

You failed so hard right there.

listen kid maybe he has done his exams and they have given him a conditional offer. he's probably waiting for leeds now. please dont copy what i wrote and repeat it, pretty pathetic at best
Original post by air-ninety-one
listen kid maybe he has done his exams and they have given him a conditional offer. he's probably waiting for leeds now. please dont copy what i wrote and repeat it, pretty pathetic at best

lol.
Original post by ragnar_jonsson
Well, it's difficult. US universities place a far greater emphasis on the diversity of its applicants, and having the best athletes is definitely part of that. (I mean, why shouldn't Harvard or Brown try to strive towards not only academic excellence, but excellence in athletics as well?)

I know of a few athletes who managed to get in with ca. 1800 SAT scores. They just excelled in other areas. :smile: (And athletes tend to be some of the hardest workers, so many of them do tend to hold their own weight. Also! Many athletes who are not as well academically qualified go onto doing something Business-related, so it's not like they detract from the most rigorous of subjects).

:smile:

I see your point but to me, universities are primarily centres for academic achievement. Yes, sporting achievement should be encouraged, but not to the point where admissions are somewhat based on it.

I suppose it really comes down to the differences in our major sports, between the UK and the US. In America the NBA, NFL and MLS are based around college sports, aren't they? Whereas here individual clubs develop talent themselves before they have the chance to go to university.
Original post by ilickbatteries
What would you say is the UK equivalent of a university you can get into in the US based on sporting ability? I suppose the NFL and NBA is based around college sports, isn't it? I mean can you even play in the NFL without having gone to college? Surely there must be some fantastic players who never bothered with college?

I think university admission should be based solely on academic achievement or relevant work experience. Sporting ability shouldn't get you a place ahead of someone else.

US universities are more privately run than UK universities. They need the funding. They don't let you based solely on your sporting abilities. The college sporting culture is big in the US, see NCCA. We don't even have a similar culture of any sort at university-level sporting events in the UK that are widely reconsigned, as far as I am aware. Basically, if there were two candidates:

A) 4.0 GPA, 2400 SAT, nice bunch of extra curricular activities etc.

B) 3.7 GPA, 2250 SAT, top football player (statewide), other ECs etc.

B is mostly likely going to get in than A (in colleges with big sporting culture). Even though A is obviously more academic than B, B is both relatively academic and has a talent for a sport that will help the university.
Reply 44
Original post by vedderfan94
Haha dream on. BTECs are a pisstake. That's why universities see a D in alevel chemistry better than a distinction in a BTEC. I expect neg rep from everyone who takes BTECs but its the truth. Why do you think its mostly **** unis that accept them?

I would argue with you, but you've got Led Zep in your sig :wink:

You're still wrong though.
Reply 45
Original post by vedderfan94
Haha I agree. It's like my chemistry teacher said, US universities are a joke. In chemistry for example in first year at uni she said they learn basic stuff that I'm learning at AS level atm.

True. But they are also learning maths, history, political science, literature etc.

There's a distinction between UK curriculums and liberal arts ones. Not worse, not better. Different.
Original post by NS17
Got yourself really riled up about that little comment didn't you? Might want to grow a thicker skin because you'll get called out on all your retarded mistakes at 'Yale' if that's really where you're going.

This coming from someone who has nothing better to do than inspect anonymous individuals grammar mistake - get a life mate at whatever hell hole you're studying in :rolleyes:
Reply 47
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo
Well, I lolled... :dontknow:

this ^^^^
Reply 48
Original post by manchild007
This coming from someone who has nothing better to do than inspect anonymous individuals grammar mistake - get a life mate at whatever hell hole you're studying in :rolleyes:

Eh whatever man, I like it here. Hopefully the lads in America won't tolerate your dick headedness either.
Reply 49
Original post by adam0311
I don't think he's at Yale. Class of 2015 wouldn't even start until next year.

He could have been admitted already though, if he applied early decision (methinks).
Reply 50

OH NOZ!?! I made a mistake on AN INTERNET FORUM. Whatever shall I do, as we all know, how one conducts themselves on an some random internet forum is how they conduct themselves in real life now don't we. Nice one with that logic, no wonder you're at the university......actually I won't be that petty :rolleyes:

And I'm not at Yale yet, I'll be starting come August of next-year (i.e. I have my offer, but choose to defer it for a year to do other things).

You'll never be at Yale, you're just exploiting the facilities for lying the interwebs provides.

Yale students, and I know a few, do not make mistakes. Not grammar-related. Not on internet forums. That's for sure.

Unless you're a comms. major or something :rolleyes:

I demand a scan of your acceptance letter and another one of your ID before I even begin to admit the possibility of you attending an Ivy.
Reply 51
You can't get into top universities based solely on sports (they don't have any scholarships based on such criteria or any other), but I don't find it shocking or bad that you can get into a lower-tiered university based on sporing ability - you have to be the best of the best (i.e. Olympic Level, National Level, Top Draft Pick in the USA etc) to be given a full scholarship and to get to those achievements in your sport, require a HUGE amount of dedication, motivation and skill. Sport (particularly Basketball and American Football) are big things out in the US...

See now I've caught you. You claim to be going to university in the US and you don't know that Harvard and Dartmouth are both Division I NCAA FCS schools and thus are entitled to give full sports scholarships?
Original post by ilickbatteries
I see your point but to me, universities are primarily centres for academic achievement. Yes, sporting achievement should be encouraged, but not to the point where admissions are somewhat based on it.

I suppose it really comes down to the differences in our major sports, between the UK and the US. In America the NBA, NFL and MLS are based around college sports, aren't they? Whereas here individual clubs develop talent themselves before they have the chance to go to university.

I used to agree with that exact standpoint - that universities should solely aim for students showing academic excellence; however, the students here are incredibly diverse that I would not want that to be lacking. Numerous individuals are accepted with different "hooks" e.g. writers, artists, activists, musicians, incredibly passionate public service volunteers, et cetera, who sometimes, but not always, are accepted with "lesser" academic requirements. But it's exactly this diversity that makes Brown, and similar universities, so amazing. You get so many different voices, passions, and talents that will go on to do amazing things. :smile:
Original post by Eldedu
See now I've caught you. You claim to be going to university in the US and you don't know that Harvard and Dartmouth are both Division I NCAA FCS schools and thus are entitled to give full sports scholarships?

Caught me?

The only thing you've caught is how ignorant you are.

HARVARD DOES NOT OFFER SPORTS SCHOLARSHIPS. PERIOD. None of the Ivy League do - they do not offer any type of academic or athletics-based scholarships of any kind. So instead of being a moron, do your research first :rolleyes:
Original post by Eldedu
Yale students, and I know a few, do not make mistakes. Not grammar-related. Not on internet forums. That's for sure.

Go to the collegeconfidential, go to the Yale sub-forum and tell me that they aren't all in Yale because they made a grammar mistake.
I don't see why it would be a problem. They would require you to take several exams for them though, so it wouldn't be a straightforward process.
Original post by Retrodiction
I don't see why it would be a problem. They would require you to take several exams for them though, so it wouldn't be a straightforward process.

Seeing as most emphasis is on the A levels, I would say it's a pretty big problem. They like to see academic subjects, what BTEC offers an academic subject?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Eldedu

As said above, Ivy League schools don't give athletic scholarships.

And yes, Yale graduates do make grammar mistakes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkTN-kdl374&feature=related
Reply 58
Original post by drive like june
As said above, Ivy League schools don't give athletic scholarships.

And yes, Yale graduates do make grammar mistakes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkTN-kdl374&feature=related

True. I should have done my internet research better. It's also true that they are entitled to.

Truer. Legacies :rolleyes:
Original post by air-ninety-one

You seem to think that this post or some other in this thread "embarassed" me.

I fail to see how or why it would.

The incoherent ramblings of an ineducable failure are hardly going to embarass me.

Please learn to form a cogent sentence before attempting to pipe up again.

Enjoy being blocked, you utter ****.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending