Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    Then explain to me what she can get with flash that isn't already provided [or being provided for in the future] without flash? Examples?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ocassus)
    Then explain to me what she can get with flash that isn't already provided [or being provided for in the future] without flash? Examples?
    I've already given examples though.

Youtube has 4oD AND many of the videos found on places such as the escapist [ZP, EC etc].
    A demand Iphone/Ipad app is currently in production.
    BBC Iplayer is tricky I agree, but then that is their fault and not the iPads because they have not taken the time to optimize their bandwidth...
    The mobile version of youtube does not have 4OD though. Certainly didn't when I looked last anyway.
    As for demand five, I was under the impression that they were not making an iOS app due to DRM issues. Or that may have been 4OD
    And it doesn't really matter if iPlayer is an iOS problem or a BBC problem. The end result is still that the consumer suffers.

Don't get me wrong, I have an iPhone and love it, and would get an iPad if I had enough disposable money. However, the lack of flash is currently an issue. That will change as time progresses and pretty much everyone moves to HTML5, but that hasn't happened yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    I've already given examples though.

The mobile version of youtube does not have 4OD though. Certainly didn't when I looked last anyway.
    As for demand five, I was under the impression that they were not making an iOS app due to DRM issues. Or that may have been 4OD
    And it doesn't really matter if iPlayer is an iOS problem or a BBC problem. The end result is still that the consumer suffers.

Don't get me wrong, I have an iPhone and love it, and would get an iPad if I had enough disposable money. However, the lack of flash is currently an issue. That will change as time progresses and pretty much everyone moves to HTML5, but that hasn't happened yet.
    On the grand scope of things, compared to the advantages you get from a cheaper and arguably better device for what the OP needs... I think it is a nonissue...

ReputationRep:
    1. Why not? it handles it pretty well...
    2. Flash IS outdated because the technology behind it is outdated. Nothing you can get bar a few specifics is not replaced by html 5 or the appstore.
    2a] Find a flash heavy site and watch your battery life fly away. If you turn off bluetooth, wifi and turn down the brightness you DRASTICALLY improve battery life on the iPad.
    3. I answered this question already. She doesn't seem to need a photo processor, and if the iPad is cheaper why can't she get an adapter? She wants it only for basic word processing and media consumption.
    4. She wants an apple, we have established this. So do not bring netbooks into this. This is between the macbook air, the standard macbook and the iPad. This is NOT a Mac vs PC thread. We have established it is one or the other.
    I highly doubt anybody is going to be doing prolonged writing without a hard surface to use it on anyway. Besides, the iPad can be used short term with the near fullsize digital netbook keyboard it has, which is not all together that bad. I said she would be using the apple keyboard dock. Which gives her a full size apple keyboard to work with too, for word processing this is ideal, as it then behaves like a normal laptop without a mouse and a touchscreen instead.

I will reiterate. She only needs it for word processing and media consumption. NOTHING ELSE, therefore I conclude the iPad is best choice.
    1. The chip inside the iPad is the same as the one in the iPhone, S8500 and a few other phones. A netbook runs a proper processor however. Go figure. Furthermore, the iPad wasn't designed for multitasking, apple simply mashed in an update to try and make it work.
    2. Flash is not outdated! Yes, it is being replaced, but no, it hasn't gone yet. Maybe in a couple of years your statement would be true, but right now there are plenty of things - i.e iplayer - that it is important for.
    2a. Ok, I don't know if you're right in terms of flash content, but a netbook will easily out do the iPad if they were both displaying a video file - I've seen this done. As you say, in order to get any decent length of battery life out of the iPad you have to basically limit what you do and turn the brightness down. Nice.
    3. The iPad isn't cheaper than a netbook. The point I'm making is that even though the OP hasn't specifically listed all her needs, any fool knows that not being able to install software makes the device even more useless. Personally, being told I have to pay more money just to be able to use a USB stick is just ridiculous. I doubt the adapters are cheap either, just like everything apple produces.

As for the mac vs pc argument - "I was thinking about a netbook as it's small and easy to carry around uni..." I know the OP goes on to say that he is looking more at apple, but at the end of the day he is debating whether or not the Air is worth it or not. Any other alternative arguments are helpful.

Do you honestly believe working hours each day on an iPad is as comfortable as a laptop or netbook?! You're just looking foolish to be honest, and I don't want to offend you or cause flaming but do you REALLY believe working on an iPad is feasible for a student? I'm almost giving up here.

Finally, you should know that I am not against apple/macs in general - I am buying a macbook pro next year for university as although expensive, they are worth it in many ways. I just honestly don't see any way in justifying buying an iPad as a solution for typing out essays and researching. It has a 9" for god's sake!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wookie42)
    1. The chip inside the iPad is the same as the one in the iPhone, S8500 and a few other phones. A netbook runs a proper processor however. Go figure. Furthermore, the iPad wasn't designed for multitasking, apple simply mashed in an update to try and make it work.
    2. Flash is not outdated! Yes, it is being replaced, but no, it hasn't gone yet. Maybe in a couple of years your statement would be true, but right now there are plenty of things - i.e iplayer - that it is important for.
    2a. Ok, I don't know if you're right in terms of flash content, but a netbook will easily out do the iPad if they were both displaying a video file - I've seen this done. As you say, in order to get any decent length of battery life out of the iPad you have to basically limit what you do and turn the brightness down. Nice.
    3. The iPad isn't cheaper than a netbook. The point I'm making is that even though the OP hasn't specifically listed all her needs, any fool knows that not being able to install software makes the device even more useless. Personally, being told I have to pay more money just to be able to use a USB stick is just ridiculous. I doubt the adapters are cheap either, just like everything apple produces.

As for the mac vs pc argument - "I was thinking about a netbook as it's small and easy to carry around uni..." I know the OP goes on to say that he is looking more at apple, but at the end of the day he is debating whether or not the Air is worth it or not. Any other alternative arguments are helpful.

Do you honestly believe working hours each day on an iPad is as comfortable as a laptop or netbook?! You're just looking foolish to be honest, and I don't want to offend you or cause flaming but do you REALLY believe working on an iPad is feasible for a student? I'm almost giving up here.

Finally, you should know that I am not against apple/macs in general - I am buying a macbook pro next year for university as although expensive, they are worth it in many ways. I just honestly don't see any way in justifying buying an iPad as a solution for typing out essays and researching. It has a 9" for god's sake!
    You are disputing a recommendation from somebody who has been trained to work out what the consumers needs are and then provide a device accordingly. I know the capabilities of an iPad far better than you I wager, and for that reason your advice simply does not have the relevant experience to be AS applicable. Naturally I am bias, but i am giving the recommendation based on what I know to be best for what he has said. There is no disputing the fact that the iPad for what he has said IS the better device.

She only wants word processing, she doesn't need to install other programs, if she did, she should get a macbook. Simple, but if she doesn't, then NO.

It is a 9" which can be held close for browsing and flicking through web pages?
    Typing essays is just as easy on ANY laptop.
    You aren't limiting capabilities by turning off the wifi if you are watching a video. Both machines will run out of battery faster on high brightness.
    Wrong, the iPad WAS designed for multi-tasking, The iOS4 was announced at the same time as the iPad, but the 4.2 version had to be optimized for usage first. This is not a 'crammed' update at all, apple do not 'cram' anything, they do it to preserve maximum efficiency. My iPhone alone can multitask 20 apps with ease. An iPhone 4s processor and S8500 processors are not clocked at the speed an iPad has either.

Even with the adapters, the machine is cheaper and more portable, whats your point?

If you bring in PCs to this argument, what you are doing is effectively causing competition. Then the thread devolves into a flame war, this is NOT going to happen. So stop it.

See my other responses to the flash argument, cba writing them out over and over.

ReputationRep:
    Reading this thread was ****ing longgggg
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe people are suggesting the iPad as a device that is good for word processing etc. It is absolutely terrible. It is a media consumption device and that's it.

(I have an iMac, Macbook Pro and an iPad so I think I am in a position to make this comment.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    I can't believe peclearly ople are suggesting the iPad as a device that is good for word processing etc. It is absolutely terrible. It is a media consumption device and that's it.

(I have an iMac, Macbook Pro and an iPad so I think I am in a position to make this comment.)
    Clearly Mr apple employee thinks so.....

Why do you own so many apple product's?

You also own an iPhone aswell
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ?!master?!mini?!)
    Clearly Mr apple employee thinks so.....

Why do you own so many apple product's?

You also own an iPhone aswell
    The Apple employee obviously doesn't own one. :p:

The iPad is an incredibly media consumption tool. It is brilliant. I browse the internet in bed on it, I read the paper on it in the morning, I check my emails, I check my diary. However, as soon as you need to create anything it becomes so so painful. I took it on a train journey relatively recently when I went up to a Newcastle open day to work a bit on my personal statement during the train ride. My god, it was so tedious. Never, ever again. This is the general consensus from everybody that has used one, I don't think you can really defend using it for anything more heavy than updating a Twitter status!

I do have lots of Apple products! :p: Every iPhone since the original. I am a major fan of Apple products.

e: In the spirit of keeping on topic, I am planning on buying a Macbook Air (or a MBP 13", not decided yet) when I start university and finding a new home for the MBP.

ReputationRep:
    You are disputing a recommendation from somebody who has been trained to work out what the consumers needs are and then provide a device accordingly. I know the capabilities of an iPad far better than you I wager, and for that reason your advice simply does not have the relevant experience to be AS applicable. Naturally I am bias, but i am giving the recommendation based on what I know to be best for what he has said. There is no disputing the fact that the iPad for what he has said IS the better device.

She only wants word processing, she doesn't need to install other programs, if she did, she should get a macbook. Simple, but if she doesn't, then NO.

It is a 9" which can be held close for browsing and flicking through web pages?
    Typing essays is just as easy on ANY laptop.
    You aren't limiting capabilities by turning off the wifi if you are watching a video. Both machines will run out of battery faster on high brightness.
    Wrong, the iPad WAS designed for multi-tasking, The iOS4 was announced at the same time as the iPad, but the 4.2 version had to be optimized for usage first. This is not a 'crammed' update at all, apple do not 'cram' anything, they do it to preserve maximum efficiency. My iPhone alone can multitask 20 apps with ease. An iPhone 4s processor and S8500 processors are not clocked at the speed an iPad has either.

Even with the adapters, the machine is cheaper and more portable, whats your point?

If you bring in PCs to this argument, what you are doing is effectively causing competition. Then the thread devolves into a flame war, this is NOT going to happen. So stop it.

See my other responses to the flash argument, cba writing them out over and over.
    I've owned countless desktops and laptops, built PCs for numerous people and for years I've given advice on different setups... what's your point? Just because you work in a shop and read the specs of each machine before telling people what to buy it doesn't make your opinion more superior than mine. All you're doing is picking between an iPad, the Macbook Air and the Macbook. Any tool can look up specs online and tell which is best. I've not owned an iPad, but I have close friends who have since sold theirs due to their disappointment - not saying everyone has that response however. Just once again I will run through the undeniable problems with the iPad for this person:

Typing - horrible, especially after long periods of time. Unless you're lying down with your knees propping it up I don't know how anyone would manage at all, especially if we're talking about multiple hours. As you've said, really what you need is an external keyboard... essentially making it a laptop, just in two pieces.
    Battery life - if you've seen any netbook vs iPad reviews you'll know hands down the iPad loses.
    Streaming video - lots of potential problems, tons of videos simply don't load.
    Storage - can't believe I forgot about this, 64GB is nothing - 5000 songs and a few videos would eat up most of that before anything else is even on it.
    Expensive - Basically an iPhone with a big screen costing £600 without accessories.

Please go through each of these and attempt to explain how they are incorrect. A normal keyboard is easier to type on, a netbook has a better battery life and can actually stream videos, ANYTHING has a better amount of storage than 64gb and will inevitably be under the gigantic price tag.

Why not bring windows and computers into the debate? Yes, it causes competition. Is that a problem? The only reason you don't want this is because you can find a netbook that does exactly the same things as the iPad but is half the price.

ReputationRep:
    You must be pretty rich if you are gonna spend 800 or more on your girlfriend. Just get a different brand one off ebuyer for £400. People always **** off apple and say they are all style and no substance. I think that some off the stuff they sell (iPod touch) are quite good but most is just gimmicky **** in my humble opinion.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/236680

ReputationRep:
    I've owned countless desktops and laptops, built PCs for numerous people and for years I've given advice on different setups... what's your point? Just because you work in a shop and read the specs of each machine before telling people what to buy it doesn't make your opinion more superior than mine. All you're doing is picking between an iPad, the Macbook Air and the Macbook. Any tool can look up specs online and tell which is best. I've not owned an iPad, but I have close friends who have since sold theirs due to their disappointment - not saying everyone has that response however. Just once again I will run through the undeniable problems with the iPad for this person:

Typing - horrible, especially after long periods of time. Unless you're lying down with your knees propping it up I don't know how anyone would manage at all, especially if we're talking about multiple hours. As you've said, really what you need is an external keyboard... essentially making it a laptop, just in two pieces.
    Battery life - if you've seen any netbook vs iPad reviews you'll know hands down the iPad loses.
    Streaming video - lots of potential problems, tons of videos simply don't load.
    Storage - can't believe I forgot about this, 64GB is nothing - 5000 songs and a few videos would eat up most of that before anything else is even on it.
    In the apple store we are trained very specifically on the needs of what our customers wants are and tailor around it. It is a very different approach to other stores, you really need to work there to understand... This isn't purely about specs, if it was then a PC will trump all really. Because in terms of value per spec, PCs do tend to come out on top, and even as a mac geek and somebody who works for Apple I admit that...

The separate keyboard means you can use the device without having to resort to a two piece IF you are using it purely for media consumption. If you are using it for essays, then yes, it is a two piece laptop. But this is half and half, and the iPad has advantages elsewhere.
    They are hardly comparable, the iPads battery life will get somebody through a day easily.
    64 GB is plenty, why? I have a huge iTunes library and yet only have 3600 songs. That is 36 days of continuous music right there. Films? Well how many of those is going to be loaded on? This is mainly for web browsing remember? Music and word processing? If bigger memory is REALLY needed go for the macbook, but unless the OP specifically requests that it is unnecessary.
    I'd like to see some examples of this video streaming trouble, because i experience none on either of my iOS devices.
    'An iPhone with a big screen' is a label people stick onto the iPad unnecessarily. Fact of matter is, it is such a better way to experience the web on the go in comparison to having to open up a laptop. Why does it cost alot? Because its efficient, because it is built to environmental standards which no other producer can boast and because there is nothing similar to it that can parallel everything the iPad has and is.

A netbook capable of the same things as an iPad? B/S...
    A netbook has no accelerometer for gaming, a netbook cannot be held in your palms to use, A netbook does not have a complete touchscreen interface, A netbook does not have access to thousands of paid and free applications across a wide variety of genres, a netbook has a smaller, more cramped keyboard for typing than even the iPads touchscreen one. I could go on.

Why not bring PCs into the debate? Because I will tell you right now that the OP has already said 'he wants a mac'. I can throw up a ****storm about Mac vs PC, I am just not going to. Why? Because it turns into an argument that does not benefit the OP and will ultimately not gain anything. Macs in general are better than PCs, you hold your opinion, but the OP doesn't want it. Understand?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    The Apple employee obviously doesn't own one. :p:

The iPad is an incredibly media consumption tool. It is brilliant. I browse the internet in bed on it, I read the paper on it in the morning, I check my emails, I check my diary. However, as soon as you need to create anything it becomes so so painful. I took it on a train journey relatively recently when I went up to a Newcastle open day to work a bit on my personal statement during the train ride. My god, it was so tedious. Never, ever again. This is the general consensus from everybody that has used one, I don't think you can really defend using it for anything more heavy than updating a Twitter status!

I do have lots of Apple products! :p: Every iPhone since the original. I am a major fan of Apple products.

e: In the spirit of keeping on topic, I am planning on buying a Macbook Air (or a MBP 13", not decided yet) when I start university and finding a new home for the MBP.
    What app were you using and were you using the detachable keyboard?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    What app were you using and were you using the detachable keyboard?
    Pages and haha no of course not. That's ridiculous. I might as well bring a laptop...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Pages and haha no of course not. That's ridiculous. I might as well bring a laptop...
    If you are intending to work long term, then obviously a proper keyboard is going to be better... If we are comparing with a MBA and a MB then the iPad is the better choice for basic word processing. Because that is all it can do BASIC word processing... And that is what the OP had said, BASIC word processing...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    If you are intending to work long term, then obviously a proper keyboard is going to be better... If we are comparing with a MBA and a MB then the iPad is the better choice for basic word processing. Because that is all it can do BASIC word processing... And that is what the OP had said, BASIC word processing...
    Do you not see the absolute ridiculous nature of having to add a keyboard to an iPad to make it viable?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Do you not see the absolute ridiculous nature of having to add a keyboard to an iPad to make it viable?
    The result is cheaper and if it is only going to be used for basic word processing, why compromise its use as a media consumption device?

ReputationRep:
    Blah
    I honestly can't be bothered any more, especially when you started talking about the iPad being used for gaming :rolleyes:

Things you need to realise:

Touch screen doesn't = good when working on essays.
    The iPad is unjustifiably expensive for what it is, and what it contains.
    Flash is still important.
    USB is still important.
    Apple products are usually good, reliable and well made. However often a non-brand equivalent is just as good or better, and for half the price - even if you disregard everything else from that list, at least think about this one.

Not going to reply to you after this. Obviously we have a different point of view, but at least I can take on board what you have to say. You on the other hand just churn out what you think is right without considering the tiny possibility that you aren't always in the right.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly can't be bothered any more, especially when you started talking about the iPad being used for gaming :rolleyes:

Things you need to realise:

Touch screen doesn't = good when working on essays.
    The iPad is unjustifiably expensive for what it is, and what it contains.
    Flash is still important.
    USB is still important.
    Apple products are usually good, reliable and well made. However often a non-brand equivalent is just as good or better, and for half the price - even if you disregard everything else from that list, at least think about this one.

Not going to reply to you after this. Obviously we have a different point of view, but at least I can take on board what you have to say. You on the other hand just churn out what you think is right without considering the tiny possibility that you aren't always in the right.
    Oh for christ sake this is getting ridiculous.

DETACHABLE. SOLID. KEYBOARD. BASIC. WORD. PROCESSING.

You are not taking on anything I have to say at all, you are merely replying to the points you think you can topple whilst ignoring points you can't. That isn't learning anything..

It is not unjustifiably expensive for what it contains, you are simply pulling out the 'branding' issue again, because nothing else that has the same capabilities of the iPad exists on the market.

USB requires one small adapter.
    The flash issue is a comparatively minor one.
    If you are going to buy a computer system ANYWAY, you buy for the long term usually.

In terms of specs? Couldn't agree with you more. PCs have the edge. But the reason Apple products are expensive is because they are tuned for a far far better OS [Unix based], they are better made as you say, and they all have unique features to them rival computer systems do not. Think of a macbook and then an equal powered [specced] laptop. The laptop is obviously going to be cheaper. However it lacks certain bells and whistles that the Macbook does not. I will say no more on the matter.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 29, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.