Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

There is no such thing as 'acting black'! for **** sake Watch

• View Poll Results: There is no such thing as 'acting black'! for **** sake.
    I agree
    35.71%
    I disagree
    64.29%

ReputationRep:
    Well OP I guess you can thank social stereotypes for that, oh and rap music. Always blame rap music :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reformed2010)
    If I got a pound every time I was told 'you don't act black!' from friends, extended family or strangers I'd be rich. The idea that my skin colour determines how I should act and behave is stupid and its about time people of all ethnic backgrounds (especially Afro-Caribbean) stop using the phrase once and for all.

My parents and I were born in Britain, London. My mothers parents are American (Florida) and my dad parents are Caribbean (Jamaica and Grenada). Maybe I should act more 'American' :rolleyes:

The way I act is partly due to my middle class London suburban upbringing. People want to paint a picture of African-Caribbean's as loud, rude, undereducated, oversexed. Where guys and girls in short shorts grind against one another appear to be the norm. I am sick of it. It allows those of black origin to accept and embrace this supposed black behaviour. Limiting our children to behaviour and some times placing a ceiling on their aspirations. Meanwhile furthering the aims and goals of those who are racist.

When I was younger my uncle would always laugh, point me out and say, ha [my name] acts like a little white boy. As a child I didn't think nothing of it, now I remind him constantly that he acts like a ignorant ******** and that there is no such thing as acting black! for **** sake.

When I listen to my Kings of Leon, wearing my Jack Wills and A+F, in my mum's Jeep on our way to collect my brother from his grammar school. I'm not acting anything, simply living the middle class lifestyle. Get over it. Those of Black skin can be middle class.
    Yeah, but most are not and do not want to be like that. Sorry to break it to you, but you are the minority and nothing is going to change that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishamon)
    IT IS something to be ridiculed an mocked, if I had my way I would make these people social outcasts. Its a sign of inherent weak mindedness, the fact that you cannot accept what you are due to the opinion of others who never had any respect for you in the first place. People like that are ****in losers.
    You're either flaming or are just a truly repulsive individual. Either way, don't ever speak to me again. How full of malice and arrogance do you have to be to find it justified to mock people and believe they are deserving of social exclusion, simply because you don't like their behaviour?

Who are you to judge others? Who are you to treat others badly because in your head you believe they're a "loser" (whatever that means)?

Rhetorical questions of course, I have no interest in reading any further posts by what is either a troll or just really sick person.

FYI JW and AF are not off limit for blacks however most if not all the people I have met who wear such clothing lines are always the black people who seem entirely disillusioned. As if they want to scream out that they are breaking a social norm, a sorry attempt at telling whites "oh look at me, I'm just like you, I am not one of them". Pathetic. I equate to the fools who wear gaudy designer label garbage like "G-star" those lines where the brand name or logo is sprawled right across the front side of the garment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    You're either flaming or are just a truly repulsive individual. Either way, don't ever speak to me again. How full of malice and arrogance do you have to be to find it justified to mock people and believe they are deserving of social exclusion, simply because you don't like their behaviour?

Who are you to judge others? Who are you to treat others badly because in your head you believe they're a "loser" (whatever that means)?

Rhetorical questions of course, I have no interest in reading any further posts by what is either a troll or just really sick person.
    You and I judge people everyday, one of the most common traits of the human condition. If you're too much of a pussy to except that its your fault not mine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi)
    It most definitely is something to be ridiculed or mocked. I have no respect whatsoever for someone who is ashamed of their ethnicity because of negative sterotypes surrounding them. Because it indicates that you are a needy and spineless individual. In doing this they only help to perpetuate the stereotypes anyway
    Read the reply I wrote to Bishamon and then never speak to me again. I have to put up with parasites like you every day at school, I have no desire to speak to such abhorrent individuals in my free time. Get out.

ReputationRep:
    You and I judge people everyday, one of the most common traits of the human condition. If you're too much of a pussy to except that its your fault not mine.
    I'm sure that everyone does judge, but that doesn't mean you SHOULD judge. And when you do, you should strive to not act negatively based on it. You can't help when it comes to negative thoughts, but you most certainly can help when it comes to negative actions.

Don't bother trying to defend your desire to torment other people based on your own whims. I have nothing more to say to you.

(Original post by innerhollow)
      Read the reply I wrote to Bishamon and then never speak to me again. I have to put up with parasites like you every day at school, I have no desire to speak to such abhorrent individuals in my free time. Get out.
      Stop acting like a child. It's the internet so it's completely pointless and childish to tell posters not to speal to you again. Don't read their posts.

Anyway the majority of more intelligent points have already been made but can I just say, wearing JW/AF/Hollister/Superdry/the majority of other labels is not acting white and it certainly doesn't prove that you're ashamed of your race because that's just retarded. All it proves is that you're an impressionable consumer who is willing to be a walking billboard for the big labels. That's it, there is nothing more to it than that.

There is no such thing as acting black or white and to claim otherwise is again retarded and rooted in an unnecessary belief in largely unfounded stereotypes.

ReputationRep:
      If I got a pound every time I was told 'you don't act black!' from friends, extended family or strangers I'd be rich. The idea that my skin colour determines how I should act and behave is stupid and its about time people of all ethnic backgrounds (especially Afro-Caribbean) stop using the phrase once and for all.

My parents and I were born in Britain, London. My mothers parents are American (Florida) and my dad parents are Caribbean (Jamaica and Grenada). Maybe I should act more 'American' :rolleyes:

The way I act is partly due to my middle class London suburban upbringing. People want to paint a picture of African-Caribbean's as loud, rude, undereducated, oversexed. Where guys and girls in short shorts grind against one another appear to be the norm. I am sick of it. It allows those of black origin to accept and embrace this supposed black behaviour. Limiting our children to behaviour and some times placing a ceiling on their aspirations. Meanwhile furthering the aims and goals of those who are racist.

When I was younger my uncle would always laugh, point me out and say, ha [my name] acts like a little white boy. As a child I didn't think nothing of it, now I remind him constantly that he acts like a ignorant ******** and that there is no such thing as acting black! for **** sake.

When I listen to my Kings of Leon, wearing my Jack Wills and A+F, in my mum's Jeep on our way to collect my brother from his grammar school. I'm not acting anything, simply living the middle class lifestyle. Get over it. Those of Black skin can be middle class.
      I agree, but there is such a thing as acting 'stereotypically' black. Like it or not, there are stereotypes out there for everyone. Unfortunately, we have to deal with them. You don't have to conform to them though.

ReputationRep:

By you singling out those things, you assume that they are 'white' things to do.

Thus voiding your whole argument.

ReputationRep:
      Isn't there? Really?

ReputationRep:
      It's just narrow-minded society. There is different classes in every race. You get common and posh folk in each aha.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by sleekchic)
      Stop acting like a child. It's the internet so it's completely pointless and childish to tell posters not to speal to you again. Don't read their posts.

Anyway the majority of more intelligent points have already been made but can I just say, wearing JW/AF/Hollister/Superdry/the majority of other labels is not acting white and it certainly doesn't prove that you're ashamed of your race because that's just retarded. All it proves is that you're an impressionable consumer who is willing to be a walking billboard for the big labels. That's it, there is nothing more to it than that.

There is no such thing as acting black or white and to claim otherwise is again retarded and rooted in an unnecessary belief in largely unfounded stereotypes.
      I never said that wearing those brands automatically meant you were ashamed of being black. What I'm trying to say is that there is a certain type of person who wears those clothes because of the "white" image associated with them. Because I have examined certain people who actively pursue the stereotypes associated with white people and actively avoid those associated with blacks

ReputationRep:
      Whats with all the Kings of Leon hate? Granted thye were better a few years ago but they are a top band :yes:

ReputationRep:
      I get called 'bounty', 'coconut' and whatnot at school. Why? Because 'I am too well-spoken' for a black person. Also, because I wear my school tie smartly rather than scruffy. As a matter of fact, I'm more proud to be black than they are and I'm an advocate of black power (this does not make me racist). It's pathetic that these poor black people have been indoctrinated to believe that black people are inferior and should meet low standards such as poor clothes, poor articulation, etc. These are the real coconuts.

ReputationRep:
      I never said that wearing those brands automatically meant you were ashamed of being black. What I'm trying to say is that there is a certain type of person who wears those clothes because of the "white" image associated with them. Because I have examined certain people who actively pursue the stereotypes associated with white people and actively avoid those associated with blacks
      They probably wear those brands because they like the look of them, even if it was from looking at a white person wearing it. The truth is, the majority of black people (probably even you) would be ashamed to walk down the street wearing an traditional African clothing. It's just the way you've been brought up in a country that you aren't ethnically from. You've assimilated yourself with its culture, values, religion, philosophy, language, etc. And because of this a lot of black people have lost their dignity. In fact, it's nearly impossible not to assimilate yourself with white characteristics. The day black people regain their dignity will be the day they unite and build up their own society. Nonetheless, I agree that people who are ashamed of their ethnicity should receive no respect.

ReputationRep:
      I was with you 100%... 'til you mentioned Jack Wills :rolleyes:

Yeah you know what?

It because you do act white, who do catch other than coconuts wearing jack willis?

This isnt about being middle class and part of your argument is correct however at the same time I think black people can distinguish between someone who carries a level of decorum and someone who is a bounty. For instance I am highly articulate, if we spoke on the phone you would assume I was a white male like 95% of the other people I know. However I wouldnt be caught dead wearing jack willis, visiting topman or associating myself with rah *******s.
        I wouldn't be caught wearing JW/AF but I will go to topman/topshop if I want to and that's because I think the former are overpriced incredibly common and the latter is as a result of personal choice none of which is influenced by race.

Frequenting pubs
        Getting "lashed" on the weekend
        Wearing Jack Willis
        Reading NME
        Commenting on his/her favorite "bands"

Human beings are social animals and hence societal mainstays often reflect upon us.
        I'm not entirely sure how visiting pubs or getting lashed are a strictly white thing and I'm not sure why commenting on favourite bands is wrong or even why reading up on your interests ie NME or in my case DWM among others classify as acting white. You seem to be confusing 'acting white' with having a personality that is not dictated by stereotypes or what people on the internet think but by personal interest, upbring or personal choice none of which constitue 'acting white'

The problem I have with black people wearing Jack Wills and A&F is they are trying to wear the white upper middle class that those brands embody. Almost like they are trying to wear the whitest brands possible so they can seem white. Sometimes I have noticed a certain brand of, usually middle class black person, who tries there best to hide any indication that they are white by wearing said brands, only associating with white people and actively avoiding making white friends and constantly talking about how middle class they are. Those are people which I call coconuts
        Couldn't disagree more with the comments in bold. You would hope that the vast majority of black people who have no issues with self esteem or self hatred or whatever wear JW/A&F because they actually want to and not because they are trying to wear the 'white upper middle class that close brands emoby' I mean wtf, maybe they should come to you for advice on what to wear because you clearly have all the answers. As Bishamon says: "FYI JW and AF are not off limit for blacks" and they shouldn't be too.

Btw none of this makees any sense: "Sometimes I have noticed a certain brand of, usually middle class black person, who tries there best to hide any indication that they are white by wearing said brands, only associating with white people and actively avoiding making white friends and constantly talking about how middle class they are. Those are people which I call coconuts" Those people aren't coconuts (ridiculous term btw), they are people who simply have issues with self-hatred among others.

Fair enough and I've already addressed most of the replies to this post above but there's a lot to be said about trying to apply personal observations/anecdotal evidence to a wide group of people. FYI I know one black person who wears those brands and funnily enough she doesn't seem to fit in with your category about trying to actively pursue a 'white image' (whatever that is) so what does that make of your little observation?

ReputationRep:
        Sushi's japanese brah

go tell a chinaman that and see if he wont slap the **** outta you
        maybe he meant something oriental ahahaha

yeah anyway, racist people does exist.
        i can feel it. even in UK...

ReputationRep:
        acting black is simply cultural. there is no behaviour inherent to black people.

I think black people who say this are losers who still are pissed off at slavery. For this reason, they see things through race-tinted glasses, and see oppression when it doesn't exist.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Nayred)
        They probably wear those brands because they like the look of them, even if it was from looking at a white person wearing it. The truth is, the majority of black people (probably even you) would be ashamed to walk down the street wearing an traditional African clothing. It's just the way you've been brought up in a country that you aren't ethnically from. You've assimilated yourself with its culture, values, religion, philosophy, language, etc. And because of this a lot of black people have lost their dignity. In fact, it's nearly impossible not to assimilate yourself with white characteristics. The day black people regain their dignity will be the day they unite and build up their own society. Nonetheless, I agree that people who are ashamed of their ethnicity should receive no respect.
        I don't know where you live but if you go to any area in London with a significant Africa population wearing traditional clothes. Granted this is usually older people but I would hardly say most people don't wear it because they are ashamed. Nigerian culture and values plays a significant part in my household as does the language, although I don't know whether you are trying to imply that I should go around speaking Yoruba to everyone instead of English as a means to "fight the power".

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
      Useful resources
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.