Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'd have thought latin would be easier, purely because it's more closely related to English than mandarin is.

ReputationRep:
    I lived in China for 6 years and I have been living in Hong Kong for 2 now and I have been learning Mandarin for the whole time. I can speak it pretty well now although I find the writing hard.
    The key to learning mandarin i think is living in China or being around people who speak it. The language is so much more difficult that it seems with all the tones, starting out you can't tell the difference although you need the practice of hearing it, if you don't have that practice learning becomes difficult and you won't be able to master it. Also the characters are difficult although as long as your committed to spending hours, everyday writing them out over and over it shouldn't be too hard. You have to REALLY want to learn it.
    Latin...never learnt it myself but i know people who have and have said its easier than mandarin because of it being more 'rational' from a western point of view.
    Hope it helps

ReputationRep:
    If you still care, I've heard that mandarin is very, very different to european languages. Latin is fine, so long as you are prepared to sit down and learn the tables and grammar. Oh, and every item of vocab has extra parts to learn, so watch out for that!

ReputationRep:
    yhh, if you still making the decision, I do both, in fact, I had three exams today,
    Latin Language, Mandarin Listening, and Ancient Greek Language, sooo yh....

tbh, I love all three of them, and would gladly continue with them, as it happens, im dropping latin to do greek, and cant do mandarin cos my school wont let us.

i think, that latin is probably easiest to do well in, if you start off right, and learn evevrything that you're supposed to learn, but, it really depends on what are your strengths, what sort of things you find easiest to memorise.

Also, contrary to popular opinion, Mandarin DOES has grammar, its not conjugating and declining and ****, its more word order and different untranslatable particles. And the completely different structure is really difficult, (i find anyway) to grasp naturally, plus, u have to speak it, and listen to it, which I find REALLY difficult, but, yh, today's paper wasnt too bad actually...

But yh... Im thinking Latin is easier, but, it really depends on you and what youre good at.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.