Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Insanely powerful and emotional song Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 69Crazyfists)
    Uh... Any good guitarist could get the same sound from a guitar. See, this is why I don't agree. An electric guitar is a machine. Two different guitarists can create the same sound as long as they use the same guitar. A voice is unique.
    No they can't, if you could play guitar and understood it you'd realise that even the best guitarists differ in style and technique, just like singers, making them unique. You listen to Hendrix and nobody sounds the same as him. People can imitate, just like people can imitate singers. A voice comes from the vocal chords and lungs and so is just the product of a biological machine, no difference between that and using a man made one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaun1991)
    I'm talking about the sound he makes through the guitar, nothing to do with how he moves. And he is more than just a 'good guitarist'.

Nah blud. I play the guitar and that was nothing special at all. It was an alright bit of fiddling around, but the song itself was a bit rubbish, and the song is where the emotion originates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    Nah blud. I play the guitar and that was nothing special at all. It was an alright bit of fiddling around, but the song itself was a bit rubbish, and the song is where the emotion originates.
    You might play the guitar but if you think Joe Bonamassa is rubbish you obviously don't appreciate it, he's widely regarded as the greatest guitarists of his generation, very rare to find a white man who can play blues like that.

ReputationRep:
    You might play the guitar but if you think Joe Bonamassa is rubbish you obviously don't appreciate it, he's widely regarded as the greatest guitarists of his generation, very rare to find a white man who can play blues like that.

He sounded a bit like Meatloaf's session guitarist when I went to see him at the NEC when I was 13. All fingers and no balls.

If this thread was about dinky guitar piddling in the colour blue, then you might have a point, but emotional? Nah. Green Day are more emotional than that.

ReputationRep:
    No they can't, if you could play guitar and understood it you'd realise that even the best guitarists differ in style and technique, just like singers, making them unique. You listen to Hendrix and nobody sounds the same as him. People can imitate, just like people can imitate singers. A voice comes from the vocal chords and lungs and so is just the product of a biological machine, no difference between that and using a man made one.
    I may only be able to play acoustic guitar, but of course I understand that people have differing styles. I still don't agree that a voice is no different to guitar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    He sounded a bit like Meatloaf's session guitarist when I went to see him at the NEC when I was 13. All fingers and no balls.

If this thread was about dinky guitar piddling in the colour blue, then you might have a point, but emotional? Nah. Green Day are more emotional than that.
    He was supporting BB King when he was 13. Sorry if he's not smashing the **** out of his guitar with robotic power-chords, which going by reference to Meatloaf and Green Day is your cup of tea.

ReputationRep:

This song leads up to probably the most powerful/emotional crescendo I've ever heard.

ReputationRep:
    He was supporting BB King when he was 13. Sorry if he's not smashing the sh*t out of his guitar with robotic power-chords, which going by reference to Meatloaf and Green Day is your cup of tea.
    Good guess, but wrong.

My point being that emotion has to stem from the song in the first place. Great singing and instumental playing can only augment the emotion that already exists. You can sing "Mr Blobby" in the most sorrow cracked voice you can muster, and cover it with widdly guitar solos where the guy shuts his eyes and falls to his knees, but it will never have the emotional power of an emotional song played straight and without affectation.

And to butt in on the other conversation, humans have specific brain centres to pick up emotion in a voice. Whilst all guitarists have a unique style etc etc, they can never be as emotionally affecting by themselves as a voice can, simply because of the way our brains are wired.

A similar comparison can be made between reading the emotion on a face and reading the emotion on an abstract work of art.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -WhySoSerious?)

This song leads up to probably the most powerful/emotional crescendo I've ever heard.
    I completely agree. Love Sigur Ros. Most of their tracks can be said to be very emotional tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -WhySoSerious?)

Sounds lovely. What does that video symbolise though?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 1, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.