how do you get up early in the morning? methods/tips Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Behaving)
    Who's Mark Hoppus?
    Haha, good one. I liked that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sbarrie2)
    Haha, good one. I liked that
    LOL, no, I seriously don't know who he is.

ReputationRep:
    I hate getting up as much as you do. Nothing really makes it pleasant but this works fairly well:
    - Get a radio alarm clock and pick a nice radio station to come on instead of the disgusting beep that makes you want to die every morning
    - Make your bed / get dressed as soon as you manage to get out of bed. This will make it difficult to come back.
    - Having everything ready for a cuppa is handy, even better if you have a coffee machine that starts brewing when your alarm goes off (about £30)
    - Sometimes when you start getting up really late (like after noon), it's best to get up very early one day and spend it actively - do exercise, do work, get out of the house. In the evening you'll sleep well and reset your cycle.
    - Arrange to do some training with a mate, meet at the gym early, you'll feel more relaxed and motivated to do revision after that and you'll have to get up if your mate is waiting.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    As soon as you wake up..get up.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the great tips ppl

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    I have an alarm on my phone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lazyswot)
    I put my alarm clock at the other side of the room so I have to get out of bed to turn it off, then I start doing something active (walk around the house a bit, eat something) straight away. Don't go back to bed, even to sit in it, even for a MOMENT. Once you get started doing some work it's ok, it's just starting in the first place that's hard.
    That is good if you are a light sleeper. But I sleep through my alarm even on the highest settings plus I have insomnia.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Get a proper bell alarm. They're enough to wake the dead (my boyfriend has one... if I have a lie-in option and he doesn't it gets me real pissed real quick!).

Orrrrr get a long-term girlfriend. This works simply because she will kick you out of bed so damn hard you will end up with bruises.

ReputationRep:
    Little trick that I use, that you can use in conjunction with all the techniques above.

Get into bed and shut your eyes as if you were about to sleep. Make the room as dark as possible. Set your alarm for 5/10 minutes ahead of the the time it is when you get into bed. When the alarm goes off, get out of bed and do something. Repeat this 2 or 3 times, and keep doing it over a few weeks. That way you will train your body to get up at the sound of your alarm (it's important to keep the same alarm tone) so that not getting up, no matter how tired you are, will make you feel uneasy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Behaving)
    LOL, no, I seriously don't know who he is.

Are you on one of these computers without google/wikipedia?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lazyswot)
    I put my alarm clock at the other side of the room so I have to get out of bed to turn it off, then I start doing something active (walk around the house a bit, eat something) straight away. Don't go back to bed, even to sit in it, even for a MOMENT. Once you get started doing some work it's ok, it's just starting in the first place that's hard.
    This! though I'm terrible for getting back into bed

ReputationRep:
    It's all about self will. I've always been a morning person anyway, but I hate the feeling of 'wasting' the morning as this is when I best work.
    Get a friend/housemate/parent to wake you up and not leave until you get up. Surely no one can sleep knowing someone's watching them?!

ReputationRep:
    If you've got an iPhone (or another smart phone, I'm not sure), there is an app called sleep cycle, which wakes you up at the best time, by gauging when you are in the lightest sleep. Failing that, get up and put the kettle on straight away.

ReputationRep:
    i set my alarm on my fone 10 minutes b4 due to actually get up. this way i can wake up more refreshed at school,work etc. i then get summin 2 eat and get ready, by the time i have dne all of my tasks i am ready in half and hour as i dnt spend ages staggerin out of my bed in the morning lol

ReputationRep:
    Just sleep through.
    The simple way.

ReputationRep:
    This routine: go to bed latest at 11; put alarm clock on the other side of bedroom and near windows to go off at 10 mins to the hour or 20 past. when it goes off, sit up, get up, open curtains, go to the loo, brush teeth, have shower, put on day clothes, make bed, have breakfast, do not go back into the bedroom, go for a walk or run round the block. Do this even if you don't plan on studying because it will help reset your body clock which responds to light.

Avoid screen time (computer/tv/ipad etc) late at night as this will reset the body clock to a later 'sunset'.

If you naturally wake up then that is the time you should get up- you may be surprised by how early that actually is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sbarrie2)
    Are you on one of these computers without google/wikipedia?
    Yes :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.firebox.com/product/2223/...-Clock?via=ser
    http://www.firebox.com/product/2776/...-Clock?via=ser

ReputationRep:
    I have kept Bieber's voice as my alarm, It's so annoying that I wake up like a Ninja!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 30, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.