Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    It starts

Guardian

the Guardian can disclose that Arab leaders are privately urging an air strike on Iran and that US officials have been instructed to spy on the UN's leadership.

Scandalous!

I would honestly feel neglected by my Government if they didn't spy on the UN/G20/EU governments. :YEP:

If you really thought all Governments did was whatever one sees on the news, you should really have thought that international politics were a very boring sphere indeed, and also that the Government doesn't really do very much at all, except raise taxes.

ReputationRep:
    This is all fake and staged.

ReputationRep:
    I expected something big ffs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mujeriego)
    This is all fake and staged.
    I love how when there is an opportunity for several major conspiracy theories all to be debunked at once, an EPIC NEW conspiracy theory is invented to cover them all. Eventually we will probably end up with a Grand Unified Conspiracy theoryof some kind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skyhigh!)
    I expected something big ffs.
    It's being released in tranches. Something different every day for about a week.

P.S.

A lot of this is seriously big. Imagine being one of the politicians in the middle east asking the Americans to bomb fellow Muslims in Iran. Doing it is one thing, but having Muslim constituents find out? Jee...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bunkd)
    I like how everyone is so shocked by these 'leaks'.
    As though anyone with a brain wouldn't realise already that governments actually deal with other countries not completely honestly.
    You must realise, as allied as countries can be, all countries are inherently enemies.
    It's more about what these documents contain and what implications they will have than the fact these documents exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobifier)
    I love how when there is an opportunity for several major conspiracy theories all to be debunked at once, an EPIC NEW conspiracy theory is invented to cover them all. Eventually we will probably end up with a Grand Unified Conspiracy theoryof some kind.
    Do you really believe that these 'leaks' are of any consequence? It is basically office gossip on the highest stage.

NK supplying Iran!
    Arabs saying attack Iran!
    Ahmadinejad is Hitler 2.0!
    Israel vulnerable to new 9/11! THANKS TO IRAN!!!!111

If I wanted spin I'd subscribe to Fox.

ReputationRep:
    # State Department memo: "The Conservatives are unfit to govern and the only party with a moral mandate is Labour. God help Britain if that **** Cameron becomes Prime Minister. Clegg is a prick."

Explosive stuff.

ReputationRep:
    I just found something really interesting. The guardian has an interactive guide on the leaks with a map etc.

Guardian guide

You can use this to navigate through a database with loads of different stories.

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking forward to inappropriate royal behaviour. £5 says it's Charles :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    If I wanted spin I'd subscribe to Fox.
    It's embassy cables, not spin. Its value is that it is the complete opposite of spin - it's the raw, naked truth that diplomats thought would be hidden from the world.

ReputationRep:
    Do you really believe that these 'leaks' are of any consequence? It is basically office gossip on the highest stage.
    Nah, I actually reckon they're pretty trivial. Chances are that the DA notices that have been issued, the DDoS attacks that have been made and the general panic the US government are all just for a laugh, really. It'll probably turn out to be one big practical joke.

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking forward to inappropriate royal behaviour. £5 says it's Charles :awesome:
    £10 says it's the Duke :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    It's more about what these documents contain and what implications they will have than the fact these documents exist.
    Indeed, but only the average-joe will be outraged by the contents. Don't you think the Iranian or Afghan or even French governments have called Obama derogatory things in their internal documents?
    No-one of any importance cares but unfortunately the great unwashed have a far greater voice and reach these days, as evidenced by the garish student protests :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    # State Department memo: "The Conservatives are unfit to govern and the only party with a moral mandate is Labour. God help Britain if that **** Cameron becomes Prime Minister. Clegg is a prick."

Explosive stuff.

ReputationRep:
    "The cables published today reveal how the US uses its embassies as part of a global espionage network, with diplomats tasked to obtain not just information from the people they meet, but personal details, such as frequent flyer numbers, credit card details and even DNA material."- The Guardian

:awesome:
    I can just picture US diplomats pulling hair from their foreign friends, lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    £10 says it's the Duke :awesome:
    No doubt whatsoever; it is the Duke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    It's embassy cables, not spin. Its value is that it is the complete opposite of spin - it's the raw, naked truth that diplomats thought would be hidden from the world.
    Of the lowest calibre too. But it's only the first round. They might be saving the best for last. I must say I'm pissing myself at the treatment of Britain however.

Nah, I actually reckon they're pretty trivial. Chances are that the DA notices that have been issued, the DDoS attacks that have been made and the general panic the US government are all just for a laugh, really. It'll probably turn out to be one big practical joke.
    I am not amused.

Next leak: Carla Bruni in shock politburo gang bang. Sarkozy falls short of the task, Kim Jong relentlessly shells her South.

ReputationRep:
    Looking forward to seeing the US/UK relationship in true light.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadowplay)
    "The cables published today reveal how the US uses its embassies as part of a global espionage network, with diplomats tasked to obtain not just information from the people they meet, but personal details, such as frequent flyer numbers, credit card details and even DNA material."- The Guardian

:awesome:
    I can just picture US diplomats pulling hair from their foreign friends, lol.
    Diplomats from the highest level have been caught doing this on video.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.