Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you know you are ready for the test? (had 100 hours of lessons with BSM!) watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bern Roberts)
    3) Don't always believe it when people tell you they only passed with 10 lessons. Some people do, and thats fair enough. However most people that quote such a low number of lessons are missing out some information... such as the length of the lessons (were they double lessons or single lessons?) How much practice they had with friends or relatives (it all counts towards your total amount of hours on the road). Finally.... some people just lie. They want to look good so they exaggerate the truth.
    This.

Also bear in mind if you live a while away from the test centre, that much of your time is spent travelling to and from the area. I live about 30 minutes from the test centre, so each two hour lesson was pretty much the equivalent of anyone else's one hour (my first few lessons were in and around my town, so not as much time wasted, but i'd still say my 45 hours was more like 30 hours proper driving practice).

My friend always goes on about her 25 hours and 3 months learning but she goes to school near the test centre. Anyway don't listen to anyone, everybody's different!

ReputationRep:
    Hello Ninat

Watch this video. It will give you a good idea of how to judge when you are ready for you driving test.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWfpGZ15juQ

And this video shows you how to choose a good instructor.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Suo-MMnY0c0

Both videos have been created by a Driving Examiner. The information is from the horse's mouth.

All the best

Victor

ReputationRep:
    While you should have never taken lessons with BSM in the first place (large corporation, only interested in profit maximisation) driving is not something to be taken lightly.

While the average is probably about 30 hours of practice for the test, driving is a life-long skill, if you have to be spend £2000, to get it RIGHT, then thats a small price to pay (one mistake on the road, could cost you your life)

ReputationRep:
    omg OP we are kinda in the same boat, except that I've only had about 20 lessons with bsm so far. My instructor rarely allows me to go on the main roads and all I do during the lessons is going around in circles around my neighbourhood. It really sucks cos not only I'm bored of it but also I know I can cope with driving on the main roads.:mad:

ReputationRep:
    You know when you're ready because your instructor tells you so.

ReputationRep:
    You should have booked and taken your test 60-70 hours ago.
    You should have booked and taken your test at least 150 hours ago!!! The DVLA recommends 40 hours of lessons before you take your test; that's what I read anyway.

You have been ripped off, unless you are a very very very slow learner.

(Original post by Ninat)
    My instructor says I'll be ready when I stop making mistakes.
    You can pass the test with up to 15 minor mistakes! And the test is 40 minutes. Not 2 hours.

If you live in London and want a very good (independent) instructor who is also honest, let me know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonely_cupid)
    omg OP we are kinda in the same boat, except that I've only had about 20 lessons with bsm so far. My instructor rarely allows me to go on the main roads and all I do during the lessons is going around in circles around my neighbourhood. It really sucks cos not only I'm bored of it but also I know I can cope with driving on the main roads.:mad:
    Are you guys stupid or what? FIND A DIFFERENT INSTRUCTOR. Ask your friends, or pick up the yellow pages!!!

Edit:
    "This tells you how to choose a good instructor.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Suo-MMnY0c0 "

I take back the yellow pages advice. Better off speaking to someone at your college / supermarket / hair dressers etc. Anyone who has PASSED their test. Ask them how many driving instructors they saw, and which one was the best.

It personally took me SIX driving instructors before I settled on one.

Footnote:
    I actually failed the first test, but in hindsight, this made me a better driver. I really thought hard about my driving.

ReputationRep:
    Why does EVERYONE book the AA/BSM just because it's the first thing they've heard of?? Get a local company/instructor, they are just as good or better, and don't seem to rip people off, as they need good reviews to be a good business. I have a pro instructor and the company want people to past first time & after few lessons, (so they get recommended to others..)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marsha2112)
    Why does EVERYONE book the AA/BSM just because it's the first thing they've heard of?? Get a local company/instructor, they are just as good or better, and don't seem to rip people off, as they need good reviews to be a good business. I have a pro instructor and the company want people to past first time & after few lessons, (so they get recommended to others..)
    I agree with that. My favourite instructor happened to be self-employed. All his work is word of mouth now.

ReputationRep:
    £2000 l-o-l.

ReputationRep:
    The biggest problem now is the cutthroat competition between driving schools. So many times you'll see silly offers like "5 lessons £55" or whatever. At prices like that the instructors are making almost no profit at all. This then means they have to drag out your lessons for ages to make ends meet.

At the other end of the spectrum you have large companies that charge quite a lot for lessons but also charge their instructors very high franchise fees. So although the learner pays the instructor a lot of money, they don't actually see that much of it. The big company gets a lot of it.

The odd special offer or discounts for block booking are pretty normal for instructors, but always beware of anything that seems too good to be true... because it is. It will cost you less in the long run, if you find an instructor who is not trying to cut corners, or drag out the learning process to make ends meet.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.