Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Those who are being protected from the cuts ie benefits, council housed (new tenents get shorter contract and higher rents old tennets dont), overseas aid, education (0-16).

The goverment has chosen to sacrifies the education of the itellegent in society in order to support those that dont want to drag themselves out of poverty.

Unfortuanly there has to be compromises

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma :)!)
    Graduates get paid when theey graduate. Like any other job. Tbh, you don't need a degree to be a refuse collector- but everyone would suffer if those were removed from society.. no degree required.

Cleaners? No degree required, but our shops etc would be a state without them..

ALL jobs benefit society. Imagine if nobody worked in Tesco or any other shop- where would you get everything you need?
    The difference is that anyone can become a cleaner, anyone a refuse collector, not everyone can become a doctor. If all the cleaners were removed, they could be replaced, doctors couldn't. Society needs doctors, doctors need degrees. Society should contribute.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Breedlove)
    The art degree was more of a joke early on and was not the subject of the rest of my post. Art degrees are still pretty useless degrees compared to Maths and Science degrees.

Also, unimaginative and boring? Way to go with the assumptions just because I don't see a degree in art as being particularly useful. Perhaps companies will have to use different recruitment techniques to employ people from earlier ages (ie after A levels) which is something I see as a benefit as the employee will not have a massive debt looming over them and they could start work earlier.
    Perhaps I should have put it differently then, whilst I see art degrees as pretty useless, art itself does, of course, have lots of uses.

Oh, and it's hardly rocket science. (another joke)

Anyway, if you read my post with other degrees in mind then you might get what I was trying to convey. For example, I saw a post about a Psychology student on here that was one of the only few people who were actually passionate about the subject whilst the others seemed to doss around with little interest. THAT is what I was attacking in my last post, people studying for degrees in something for the sake of going to university.

Yeah okay.
    But how can you compare how useful an Art degree is to a Maths or Science degree? Not everybody who studies these degrees will go on to work in an area that will benefit a large amount of people.
    Whilst somebody that comes out of University with a degree in product design could design something that is used by millions of people around the world, maybe a safety product, or something that makes a task in general life easier. That's improving a large amount of people's lives.

And it is Rocket Science to a person that knows nothing about it or has no creative talent. Yeah a Rocket Scientist would know a lot, about science, but could you sit him down in front of a computer and expect him to create an animated movie or a website? Doubt it. Ha.

But I don't disagree with your last comment, I was just arguing a case for Art & Design, ha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cll_ws)
    Yeah okay.
    But how can you compare how useful an Art degree is to a Maths or Science degree? Not everybody who studies these degrees will go on to work in an area that will benefit a large amount of people.
    Whilst somebody that comes out of University with a degree in product design could design something that is used by millions of people around the world, maybe a safety product, or something that makes a task in general life easier. That's improving a large amount of people's lives.

And it is Rocket Science to a person that knows nothing about it or has no creative talent. Yeah a Rocket Scientist would know a lot, about science, but could you sit him down in front of a computer and expect him to create an animated movie or a website? Doubt it. Ha.

But I don't disagree with your last comment, I was just arguing a case for Art & Design, ha
    The level of computer science necessary for Rocket Science or rather the actual discipline of aerospace engineering of which Rocket science would be incorporated within should allow for the execution of such a task with relative simplicity.

However I agree with the rest of your post. The fact that our chancellor is a history graduate shows that degrees are not limited in scope to the discipline studied thus to judge the worth of graduates based solely on the degree studied is to not see the bigger picture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Complex Simplicity)
    The level of computer science necessary for Rocket Science or rather the actual discipline of aerospace engineering of which Rocket science would be incorporated within should allow for the execution of such a task with relative simplicity.

However I agree with the rest of your post. The fact that our chancellor is a history graduate shows that degrees are not limited in scope to the discipline studied thus to judge the worth of graduates based solely on the degree studied is to not see the bigger picture.
    Okay yeah, maybe the creating a website thing was a little too simple to use as an example. But the guy in question couldn't exactly go work for Pixar could he? ha

Art graduates have a certain way of thinking, their ability to see out the box is something that is valued in many areas of work. Their degrees may prove an advantage in circumstances you may not expect.

I only really replied to the initial comment to defend Art & Design students that were being labelled as not very useful within society.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah okay.

Ha? That really makes me doubt your maturity in this argument. Trying to get a "one up" on me isn't the best way to go about having a civilised argument, clearly shown by you resorting to insults (example in your previous post).

By the way, I never commented on product design degrees at all and if I'm not mistaken an art degree is not the same as a degree in PD, thereby I am confused that you have decided to bring it up.

Also, how can you possibly say, in the big picture, that mathematics and science degrees are not as useful as art degrees? Do you type away on your keyboard because of art? Maybe in design but not in the way it works. The reason we have computers is because of science and maths, and computers have been rather revolutionary, don't you agree?
    Even referring back to your product design argument, do you realise that mechanics and chemistry are heavily woven into the process? Without advances in science and maths most products around us today would not even be possible to build, let alone taking far longer to manufacture than they do with current technology. Maths and science is the beating heart of modern civilisation.

ReputationRep:
    Okay yeah, maybe the creating a website thing was a little too simple to use as an example. But the guy in question couldn't exactly go work for Pixar could he? ha

Art graduates have a certain way of thinking, their ability to see out the box is something that is valued in many areas of work. Their degrees may prove an advantage in circumstances you may not expect.

I only really replied to the initial comment to defend Art & Design students that were being labelled as not very useful within society.
    I agree and I think that the fact that when you have an industry which only employs people who think a certain way, such an industry is limited. That said, I would argue that there is a great deal of creativity that occurs in science and technology. Our mobile phones were only developed due to such 'out fo the box' thinking. It works both ways. There is a place for both arts and science in our society and to lose one would be to leave society greatly impoverished in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Ha? That really makes me doubt your maturity in this argument. Trying to get a "one up" on me isn't the best way to go about having a civilised argument,

By the way, I never commented on product design degrees at all and if I'm not mistaken an art degree is not the same as a degree in PD, thereby I am confused that you have decided to bring it up.

I'm unsure what you mean by that? Because I used "Ha" after a sentence I said in a non-serious way I am immature?
    Why is that any different to you putting a wink after your non-serious comments?

And I mentioned Product Design because it is covered within the Art & Design degree area, of which I thought you were referring to? If you go onto a Uni's website you will find it under Art & Design.
    If you literally meant a degree in Art, as in BA Fine Art which is a specific course, then i'm sorry.

And of course technology has greatly improved because of science and maths, and engineering is a vital part of production.
    I wasn't the one attempting to make other degree areas seem less significant? I was just defending the one side.

ReputationRep:
    I'm unsure what you mean by that? Because I used "Ha" after a sentence I said in a non-serious way I am immature?
    Why is that any different to you putting a wink after your non-serious comments?
    In my understanding of internet language, a wink means what you have said is meant to be taken in a jokey way, whereas saying "ha" at the end of a point is like typing "in your face"

But anyway

And I mentioned Product Design because it is covered within the Art & Design degree area, of which I thought you were referring to? If you go onto a Uni's website you will find it under Art & Design.
    If you literally meant a degree in Art, as in BA Fine Art which is a specific course, then i'm sorry.
    If you wanted to do a degree in designing, wouldn't you take a degree that is based on designing rather that art?

And of course technology has greatly improved because of science and maths, and engineering is a vital part of production.
    I wasn't the one attempting to make other degree areas seem less significant? I was just defending the one side.
    You said they were incomparable which I disagreed with and therefore felt the need to comment. In my opinion certain degrees are more valuable to society than others, which, if I'm not mistaken, was the subject of the discussion in my first post.

ReputationRep:
    In my understanding of internet language, a wink means what you have said is meant to be taken in a jokey way, whereas saying "ha" at the end of a point is like typing "in your face"

If you wanted to do a degree in designing, wouldn't you take a degree that is based on designing rather that art?
    Nah, I didn't mean it like that. I meant it in the same way as if i'd of said "haha" or "lol"

And yes, you would, but i'm saying I wasn't sure what you meant by "Art" because Fine Art, Graphics Design, Product Design, would all come under the Arts section on a Universities list of degrees.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I didn't mean it like that. I meant it in the same way as if i'd of said "haha" or "lol"

And yes, you would, but i'm saying I wasn't sure what you meant by "Art" because Fine Art, Graphics Design, Product Design, would all come under the Arts section on a Universities list of degrees.
    Alright, tis cool bro.

Pharaoh nuff on the Art bit as well.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.