Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Funding medical degrees when 25% of junior doctors quit within 1 year Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vazzyb)
    See the difference there is, my anecdotes are plausible, yours are stupid. 'Love of luxury' doesn't motivate commitment, it encourages consumption.
    :facepalm: Leaving aside the idiocy in that line there, Dear GOD you missed the entire point of the first part of my post. My entire point was to illustrate how unreliable anecdotal evidence is.

Secondly, you don't go to medical school. You haven't even been to university! How the **** can you compare your experiences of Sixth Form with mine of Oxford and Cambridge medical schools...
    I really don't care what your experiences were, people have different experiences and tend to report them with huge confirmation bias. If you noticed I wasn't referring specifically to medical students either.

Go back, read my post, again and again, until you realise these were my main two arguments:
    - Anecdotal evidence is unreliable
    - Socioeconomic and other circumstantial factors are irrelevant when choosing who should be given priority for education

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomheppy)
    Government shouldn't be funding medical education. Let medics pay for it themselves. Why the hell should the taxpayer pay for their education AND their enormous salaries? Doctors have a very good reason for supporting the current system which limits medical education which is that they limit competition with other doctors and so drive their prices up.
    Your post smacks of a person who doesn't know what they are talking about. Doctors salaries are not 'enormous' They start of at around £22K - £30K and end up at between £74k - £100k. That is the average pay of an NHS doctor, and it takes about 10 years to get to the highest rates of pay. The time it would take a doctor to pay off £250,000 pounds of debt would be over decades.

Then you would have to consider that their 'enormous' salary is subject to enormous taxation.

Do you really want a uncompetitive system where the only people who have access to medical education are the rich or a system or a competitive system which attracts those with the right skills and qualities to become a doctor?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelmxxx)
    Dear Mr. Willetts,

Thanks for your time.
    You haven't paid for ****. We pay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    :facepalm: Leaving aside the idiocy in that line there, Dear GOD you missed the entire point of the first part of my post. My entire point was to illustrate how unreliable anecdotal evidence is.

I really don't care what your experiences were, people have different experiences and tend to report them with huge confirmation bias. If you noticed I wasn't referring specifically to medical students either.

Go back, read my post, again and again, until you realise these were my main two arguments:
    - Anecdotal evidence is unreliable
    - Socioeconomic and other circumstantial factors are irrelevant when choosing who should be given priority for education
    Lol go get your triple first, then call me an idiot

ReputationRep:
    Out of all the ****ty degrees out there, you choose this one to bash?

Talk about biting the hand that feeds (heals) you... :rolleyes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.