Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ask for feedback OP. PCGEs are incredibly competitive especially at top universities. Maybe you didn't come across well in your application in the personal statement? Request feedback and if they give it you, make changes and reapply next year. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Yea I wasn't either but came out with a 1st and 75% averaged in a masters of maths so screw you warwick lol

ReputationRep:
    Sucks to be you.

ReputationRep:
    Happens to the best of us mate. Chin up. Well actually not the BEST.

ReputationRep:
    The competition for Warwick PGCE was really strong this year. I have been through the interview selection day and it ws brutal. out of 30 in my group only 8 got through to the afternoon after the morning tests. Not everyone who made it though was offered a place either. I also know that this pattern has been repeated with the interview selection days they have done since...lots of people I know...were invited to attend but fell at the first hurdle! I was lucky to have just been offered a (conditional) place on Warwick's primary PGCE....TDA allocation depending.....I am told Warwick like a really strong academic profile (at least a 2:1) as the PGCE is a masters level course and quite demanding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corriefan)
    The competition for Warwick PGCE was really strong this year. I have been through the interview selection day and it ws brutal. out of 30 in my group only 8 got through to the afternoon after the morning tests. Not everyone who made it though was offered a place either. I also know that this pattern has been repeated with the interview selection days they have done since...lots of people I know...were invited to attend but fell at the first hurdle! I was lucky to have just been offered a (conditional) place on Warwick's primary PGCE....TDA allocation depending.....I am told Warwick like a really strong academic profile (at least a 2:1) as the PGCE is a masters level course and quite demanding.
    Anyone had an interview for Drama this year, can you give me a heads up on what the writing exercise is like? and how the presentation works, like how many people do you present in front of?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rooster523)
    An academic institution making decisions based on academic performance? Who'd've thought it
    This is a ridiculous comment, clearly made by someone who has no idea about what it takes to be a good teacher. A certain level of academic acheivement is of course important but that is such a small part of being a great teacher. Just because someone has a 1st and straight A's at A-Level doesn't mean they can communicate with or understand children or young people. Being a great teacher is about engaging pupils and getting them excited about learning; a skill that is much harder to learn than how to jump throught hoops to pass a degree. Warwick is a top university and tough to get into, but they do not just look at academic achievement when it comes to PGCE's. That would be very short sighted and they would not be so highly rated if this was the case. Give this girl a break. She was looking for constructive advice not narrowminded and ill convieved remarks.

Leoleanne, I would contact Warwick for feedback. They encourage people to reapply and when I had my interview in Dec 10 there were a lot of people there in that position so if your really want it then go for it, just make sure you act on their advice before you do. As for your grades, I wouldn't worry too much, I have been offered a place on the Primary PGCE for this September and I only got 2 A-Level's grade C and D! I have since been to uni and got a 2:1 degree, but I was offered my place before I graduated so they didn't know what my degree result would be. I think they take a lot from your personal statement when deciding interview candidates so maybe read over what you wrote and think about how you could change it to read better. Talk about why you want to be a teacher and relate it to experiences you have had that have iginited your passion for teaching. Most of all, be genuine. They will spot a faker a mile off. Don't write what you think they want to hear, just be yourself and be honest.

Good Luck and don't give up hope

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leoleanne)
    Maybe so, thanks for the helpful tips!
    Apart from English Language your A Levels are both non tradtional subjects. The fact that your English A Level is in Language and not Literature (or both) will not have helped either.

Warwick is a Russell Group university. This means that it will set the highest possible standards for entrance requirements. Generally they look for three traditional subjects (or two with one non traditional subject).

Non traditional subjects include subjects like Drama, Performing Arts, Business Studies, Sports Science, Food Technology, Textiles, Business Studies and Media Studies.

Better luck with your other choices.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.