The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Exeter Nerd Culture?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Banana_Llama
Same - it's like she becomes more likeable when Rory's around. Or not as loud. :biggrin:

And yes! Doll faces. Could you get any creepier? Apart from certain angels of course...

I'd take angels over kids in gas masks any day
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Original post by pheegee
I'd take angels over kids in gas masks any day

He just wanted to find his mummy! :nooo:
Reply 42
Well he can find his mummy far far away from me, creepy little bugger :P
Reply 43
Original post by Axavil
what the hell is that supposed to mean?
i was just wondering if exeter had some nerdy people which is cool, and they obv do :smile:
Why do i need secondary school again!

My point is that people are people, they don't need branding regardless of your motive.
Reply 44
Original post by XRi
My point is that people are people, they don't need branding regardless of your motive.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
quit trying to gain a moral highground where there isnt one.
it was a harmless question which 'branded' people simply 4 the sake of easily finding likeminded people. no one else seems to mind it
it seems only to be you that has a problem with it and tbh you give a rather crap reason for doing so
quite sad looking for attention like this imo :rolleyes:
Original post by NW-CG

Original post by NW-CG
Me thinks we're pretty much all Doctor Who fans on this thread! :smile:

You should see my sonic screwdriver :colone:

And... No... That really isn't a euphemism :hi:

Speaking from an international student point of view, can I just say - OMG OMG OMG. I'm very excited to by studying abroad for a year at Exeter and this thread has only reaffirmed my decision. I am so excited to hear that there are obviously many fellow nerds there and am doubly excited this turned into a Doctor Who thread! Coming from a region in America where most people don't have BBC America (including me, unfortunately), whenever I mention DW, I get blank stares and blinks and the intelligent responses of "huh? What's that?" I'm so excited to be able to talk about it and everyone knows what I'm talking about!

Also, to cast my vote in the discussion, I thoroughly enjoyed this last episode. It was a bit weird what with Hitler not actually having anything to do with this episode and that there was A LOT of information and twists thrown into it, but it was still brilliant! I also have to say that I love Amy Pond! I've loved her from the very beginning - I think she adds a necessary dose of feisty-ness and humor and fun into the show and I LOVE her and Rory together. Anyway. That's just my opinion.

Also - I'm going to have night terrors after watching Night Terrors. I would rather have to deal with the weeping angels than creepy dolls.

And sorry, this was such a long post. I just got really excited about all of this. :smile:
Reply 46
haha maybe we should make find/make a doctor who society?
Reply 47
Original post by englishmajor2013
Speaking from an international student point of view, can I just say - OMG OMG OMG. I'm very excited to by studying abroad for a year at Exeter and this thread has only reaffirmed my decision. I am so excited to hear that there are obviously many fellow nerds there and am doubly excited this turned into a Doctor Who thread! Coming from a region in America where most people don't have BBC America (including me, unfortunately), whenever I mention DW, I get blank stares and blinks and the intelligent responses of "huh? What's that?" I'm so excited to be able to talk about it and everyone knows what I'm talking about!

Also, to cast my vote in the discussion, I thoroughly enjoyed this last episode. It was a bit weird what with Hitler not actually having anything to do with this episode and that there was A LOT of information and twists thrown into it, but it was still brilliant! I also have to say that I love Amy Pond! I've loved her from the very beginning - I think she adds a necessary dose of feisty-ness and humor and fun into the show and I LOVE her and Rory together. Anyway. That's just my opinion.

Also - I'm going to have night terrors after watching Night Terrors. I would rather have to deal with the weeping angels than creepy dolls.

And sorry, this was such a long post. I just got really excited about all of this. :smile:

Hehe ^_^
Hello! Welcome to the Unofficially Official Doctor Who Thread! (I'm sure Axavil won't mind!)
Where are you staying accommodation-wise?

Creepy Dolls also give me the shivers... And that laugh in the Trailer :eek: *Shudders* It'll scare me half to death!

If them strange people start blinking at you, just say them immortal words: Don't blink. Blink and you're dead. Don't turn your back. Don't look away. And don't blink. Good Luck.
That'll shut them up :tongue:

Original post by pheegee
haha maybe we should make find/make a doctor who society?

I have to say... If Exeter do not already have this, I will be disappointed!
That being said, us all being Co-Founders of the EDWS (Exeter's Doctor Who Society; we can find a better name later!) does sound like an awesome idea :eek3::jumphug:

My favourite revelations from LKH: We now know that Rory isn't gay... But Hitler's still in the closet :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by NW-CG

That being said, us all being Co-Founders of the EDWS (Exeter's Doctor Who Society; we can find a better name later!) does sound like an awesome idea :eek3::jumphug:

YES. DOUBLE YES. TRIPLE YES.

Also.

"Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey".

Ah! We could be the WWTW Club! :biggrin: :tardis:
Original post by NW-CG
Hehe ^_^
Hello! Welcome to the Unofficially Official Doctor Who Thread! (I'm sure Axavil won't mind!)
Where are you staying accommodation-wise?

Creepy Dolls also give me the shivers... And that laugh in the Trailer :eek: *Shudders* It'll scare me half to death!

If them strange people start blinking at you, just say them immortal words: Don't blink. Blink and you're dead. Don't turn your back. Don't look away. And don't blink. Good Luck.
That'll shut them up :tongue:

My favourite revelations from LKH: We now know that Rory isn't gay... But Hitler's still in the closet :tongue:

Hahahaha, good point. :smile: I'm staying in Lafrowda, which I'm excited about. Well, I think it's safe to say that I'm excited about everything. And I also think that we should totally found the EDWS if there isn't one! Although, I heard there is a sci-fi/fantasy society, so maybe Exeter Whovians have found their way there.

I texted my best friend after watching this episode and said, "I think Rory just got more adorable and more awesome. I didn't think it was possible."
Right. Hitler, let's put you in a cupboard. Hitler. In the cupboard.

The Hitler in a cupboard bit was amazing :biggrin:

If I say DFTBA does that mean anything to anyone? :awesome:
Reply 51
YES. DOUBLE YES. TRIPLE YES.

Also.

"Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey".

Ah! We could be the WWTW Club! :biggrin: :tardis:

Oh, yeah!
That's a fantastic name :biggrin:

As long as it isn't the "Exeter's Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey Club", though...
Because that spells out EWWTW, which might look like Eww, Torchwood...

Which is partially against the kind of ethos we're trying to convey :flip:

Original post by englishmajor2013
Hahahaha, good point. :smile: I'm staying in Lafrowda, which I'm excited about. Well, I think it's safe to say that I'm excited about everything. And I also think that we should totally found the EDWS if there isn't one! Although, I heard there is a sci-fi/fantasy society, so maybe Exeter Whovians have found their way there.

I texted my best friend after watching this episode and said, "I think Rory just got more adorable and more awesome. I didn't think it was possible."

Lafrowda, awesome!
You're so darn close to campus! I already envy your 15 minutes extra sleeping time than me :angry::colondollar::biggrin:

With Rory, getting more awesome is ALWAYS possible!
I wonder if you've seen The Proof

Original post by Contrad!ction.
The Hitler in a cupboard bit was amazing :biggrin:

If I say DFTBA does that mean anything to anyone? :awesome:

Don't worry, we won't forget to be awesome :wink:

I do sincerely hope that is what you mean... Otherwise, I've just made myself look like a right old dunderhead :s-smilie::s-smilie::smile:

I absolutely LOVE their stuff! I had a Chameleon Circuit Tee before grapejuice decided to invade its surface :angry:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by NW-CG

Lafrowda, awesome!
You're so darn close to campus! I already envy your 15 minutes extra sleeping time than me :angry::colondollar::biggrin:

With Rory, getting more awesome is ALWAYS possible!
I wonder if you've seen The Proof

Ahahah! I loved the "Death once had a near-Rory experience" one. :biggrin:

But you should also take great pride in the fact that, despite being further away from campus, James Owen seems to currently harbour the biggest number of the most crazily obsessive...I mean, er, best Doctor Who fans. :wink:

I absolutely LOVE their stuff! I had a Chameleon Circuit Tee before grapejuice decided to invade its surface :angry:

Aaaaaaaah! Chameleon Circuit! My favourite is Type 40, obviously. :tardis:
Original post by NW-CG
Don't worry, we won't forget to be awesome :wink:

I do sincerely hope that is what you mean... Otherwise, I've just made myself look like a right old dunderhead :s-smilie::s-smilie::smile:

Duel for the best acronym? :wink:

CHAMELEON CIRCUIT! :biggrin: Favourite song?

Aaaaaaaah! Chameleon Circuit! My favourite is Type 40, obviously. :tardis:

Alex Day is awesome. I quite like Exterminate Regenerate, I managed to introduce CC to my friend with that song.

I JUST BOUGHT A SQUIDGY ADIPOSE!!! :biggrin:

:biggrin:

It can be our mascot for the WWTW Club.

I also just watched the last 15 minutes of "Human Nature", succeeded by "Family of Blood" - some tears happened, not going to lie (and for once, not because of Freema's apalling acting!). :frown:

I also just watched the last 15 minutes of "Human Nature", succeeded by "Family of Blood" - some tears happened, not going to lie (and for once, not because of Freema's apalling acting!). :frown:

You might have to wait for another year for the adipose, I've only just finished AS :tongue:

I just bought a couple of maths books and then managed to misread 'Slazenger' as 'Schrodinger' :s-smilie:
Reply 56
I love those adipose stress toy things
Reply 57
That's stupid.
Firstly, Exeter is in the top ten for quite a few subjects and asks for AAA on many subjects. So it's hardly like you dont have to be intelligent to get in. For example, I could have gone to Warwick which is definitely a "top" uni, but instead Im going to Exeter as it is better for my course. Top unis vary hugely depending on what you want to do.
Secondly, you don't have to be academically successful to be a nerd anyway! Gamers, Larpers, people with an odd amount of love literature, all types of nerds, none of which requiring academic success.
Reply 58
Duel for the best acronym? :wink:

D'oh! :rolleyes:

CHAMELEON CIRCUIT! :biggrin: Favourite song?

Alex Day is awesome. I quite like Exterminate Regenerate, I managed to introduce CC to my friend with that song.

D'aaaaw! You look after him real good, d'ya hear!

Not really sure if it counts as a 'proper' Chameleon Circuit song, but I found Charlie's "Big Bang 2" song so entertaining to listen to... About 10 times in a row :biggrin:

LOVE IT!
Although if we have some fat as our Mascot... Won't Weightwatchers be on our back?

I find that Human Nature / Family of Blood gets so much better each time I watch it!
And to think I wasn't too fond of it at the beginning :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by NW-CG

LOVE IT!
Although if we have some fat as our Mascot... Won't Weightwatchers be on our back?

I find that Human Nature / Family of Blood gets so much better each time I watch it!
And to think I wasn't too fond of it at the beginning :tongue:

But it's cute fat. It waves! :wavey:

And it's my favourite two parter of the series (probably the best episode of the series has to go to "Blink" though as a standalone). Plus, the matron is my second cousin, apparently. :wink:

You've officially just waged war on about half a dozen of us!

Sonic Pitchforks at the ready!

Yes! Wwooooowwoowooowowoowoowowoooooooooooo.

That was the sound of my sonic pitchfork by the way. Just in case you thought I was having a random attack on my keyboard.

Quick Reply

Latest