Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

women, what would be the age you would expect to have first and last kids, ideally ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Why irreleant? We are still talking about ideal age to have a baby, but I mentioned historical context.
    What is more, why are you so keen to divide people in rich ones and poor ones? They are still humans and everyone of them have different ideas about the ideal time for the baby. In fact, I don't think there should be rule for that. It sound like a stereotype or sociological myth.

ReputationRep:
    22-25ish to early 30s hopefully. An aunt of mine had children in her mid to late 30s and a couple of my cousins have health problems and I suspect it's because she had children later on so I hope to have children a bit earlier to reduce the risk. Either way I'd be so happy to have a child.

ReputationRep:
    Generally early 20's but so not happening
    25-33

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evantej)
    The under and working classes do not see having a child as a lifestyle choice because they are denied these lifestyle opportunities in the first place; home ownership and higher education are not an issues for the under and working classes, for example. They do not feel as if having a child 'too early' would mean they were missing out on anything.

The upper class would not see having a child as a lifestyle choice because they are not restricted financially; the emphasis and reasoning for having a child shifts completely. Instead of seeing a child as some sort of mortgage like the middle classes do, something they cannot do until they have a career and mortgage, the upper classes have children to continue their bloodline and, typically, have children as early as possible for biological and hereditary reasons.
    I come from a working class background and I would hereby like to proclaim this complete tosh. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    The under and working classes do not see having a child as a lifestyle choice because they are denied these lifestyle opportunities in the first place; home ownership and higher education are not an issues for the under and working classes, for example. They do not feel as if having a child 'too early' would mean they were missing out on anything.

The upper class would not see having a child as a lifestyle choice because they are not restricted financially; the emphasis and reasoning for having a child shifts completely. Instead of seeing a child as some sort of mortgage like the middle classes do, something they cannot do until they have a career and mortgage, the upper classes have children to continue their bloodline and, typically, have children as early as possible for biological and hereditary reasons.
    What is the definition of a lifestyle choice?

I don't really understand the under/working class argument. What are they denied exactly? Home ownership and higher education are not issues for them, so they do not feel having a child "too early" would be sacrificial? o.O

Does the bit in bold really still hold true?

ReputationRep:
    26 first
    35 last
    see how it goes

wow I ddnt know the girls of TSR wanted to pump them out so fast! I thought most would say they dont want them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chelle-belle)
    What is the definition of a lifestyle choice?

I don't really understand the under/working class argument. What are they denied exactly? Home ownership and higher education are not issues for them, so they do not feel having a child "too early" would be sacrificial? o.O

Does the bit in bold really still hold true?
    Ignore the upper class argument for now and, if it makes things easier, the definition of a lifestyle choice too.

The working class is defined - typically - by the wage they earn. Because of the wage they earn they will never own a house, and will live in council/social housing for the majority of their lives. Because they can never own a house they do not see having a child as a negative thing; they are satisfied with having any roof over their head. Likewise, a working-class girl who has a child at 18 does not feel as if she has missed out on higher education, because she almost certainly was not considering it in the first place; her parents did not go, they have no aspirations for her to go and they do not see that she is negatively affecting her future earning potential - she will have to work (if she works), by in large, in dead-end minimum wage jobs for the rest of her life.

The middle classes are more financially independent; more money means more choice and freedom in a capitalist society. By having a child too early the middle class often feel that they are negatively impacting their potential to earn (i.e. limiting their freedom), especially women for obvious reasons. In a lot of cases this is actually true (unfortunately), but the middle class do not appreciate the fact that having a 'negative choice' (child when they are younger but lower wage against child when they are older and higher wage) is still better than the working class option. Notice how many of the girls on this thread want to have a child later, because it means they can enjoy themselves, build a career and hopefully own a home.

ReputationRep:
    first: 24ish
    last:

nah just kidding but honestly, I've no idea

(Original post by Anonymous)
    wow I ddnt know the girls of TSR wanted to pump them out so fast! I thought most would say they dont want them
    It's true that a lot of people on this forum don't want kids whatsoever. They're just not posting here cos this isn't really relevant for them is it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    I come from a working class background and I would hereby like to proclaim this complete tosh. :awesome:
    Sorry to break this to you, but you study English at university; you are no longer working class. Nevertheless, I come from an underclass background and I am having a baby next year so I would be interested to know why you feel like you know better than me.

ReputationRep:
    28-35 probably. That's not to say that 35 is the cut off point, but it would mean I'd still be sprightly enough to go climbing and windsurfing with the kiddies.

ReputationRep:
    I think it would be good to get married at 25ish and have kids from 27-35, though ideally before 35.

ReputationRep:
    Ignore the upper class argument for now and, if it makes things easier, the definition of a lifestyle choice too.

The working class is defined - typically - by the wage they earn. Because of the wage they earn they will never own a house, and will live in council/social housing for the majority of their lives. Because they can never own a house they do not see having a child as a negative thing; they are satisfied with having any roof over their head. Likewise, a working-class girl who has a child at 18 does not feel as if she has missed out on higher education, because she almost certainly was not considering it in the first place; her parents did not go, they have no aspirations for her to go and they do not see that she is negatively affecting her future earning potential - she will have to work (if she works), by in large, in dead-end minimum wage jobs for the rest of her life.

The middle classes are more financially independent; more money means more choice and freedom in a capitalist society. By having a child too early the middle class often feel that they are negatively impacting their potential to earn (i.e. limiting their freedom), especially women for obvious reasons. In a lot of cases this is actually true (unfortunately), but the middle class do not appreciate the fact that having a 'negative choice' (child when they are younger but lower wage against child when they are older and higher wage) is still better than the working class option. Notice how many of the girls on this thread want to have a child later, because it means they can enjoy themselves, build a career and hopefully own a home.
    Not sure if I agree with these arguments, particularly with reference to education in today's age, but thanks for explaining in more depth. The variables are also extremely difficult to judge, eg. the happiness gained simply from having a child vs the happiness gained from a better paid job.

Edit:
    You study English at university; you are no longer working class.
    Ah. So you must not have had any higher education to be part of the working class?

Also, the argument for working class indifference seems to deny that children are a drain on one's (disposable) income regardless of class, or that they are less of a drain to the working class (which is untrue as financially the benefit of having children in the UK now are child benefits which is not affected by income.)

PS is this a named theory of some sort (if so what is it called?) or is this just you speaking your mind (or both)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by favouriteworstnightmare)
    First - about 28
    Last - about 34.
    yeah, this

ReputationRep:
    Ideally, I'd like to have my first child in my mid to late twenties and have my last child in my mid thirties. I want to ensure that I have a secure well paid job before that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolfspirit)
    If it weren't for my career, 26-34, but realistically it will be 30-36.
    :ditto: I want to do medicine too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chillaxer)
    I was intrigued. Just that I am a 29yrold man(clearly the age of my partner can vary up or down, though I'm told women tend to prefer to be the younger.) And a lot of studies are saying that modern western women are having kids later than they really should, it's a lifestyle privelige but in past times they had them earlier and biology dictates that they are at their reproductive peak earlier. I was astonished to find the average age of childbirth in the US is 5yrs younger than in the UK, we are at a whopping 29(.something), and they at a sprightly 24. Many women are leaving it late then shocked to see they can't do it, are more into their careers, picky about men etc apparently.

My Dad and Mum had my sis about my age and me about 36.
    I'd say a lot of women wait longer for financial reasons, rather than everyone just wanting their career first etc. My parents were 20 and 21 when I was born and there was never any money and I wish they had waited so that I could have had a better quality of life. For that reason I'm going to make sure I can afford to have kids, but given they choice I'd have the first 27-29 and the last no later than 39 (40 just seems so much older!), but preferably sooner than that.

Although if I won the lottery I'd be more than happy to just settle down now (at 20, nearly 21). Maybe because life was tough growing up I feel old compared to most people my age..

ReputationRep:
    30-40

ReputationRep:
    I hope to have my first child at around 21-25 and my last child around 30-34.

I wanna have 4 children.

ReputationRep:
    30-35

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 28, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.