Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is there a definitive way to establish if you're dreaming or awake? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Apparently if you look in the mirror (whilst your asleep) your face is likely to be horribly distorted. The dream may at that point turn into a nightmare.

If you look in the mirror and see this looking back at you :awesome: you're awake.

ReputationRep:
    Check the time once, then check it again shortly after. Check for obvious errors.

ReputationRep:
    Kill yourself.
    People never remember being dead, only dying. So if you're dreaming you'll wake up. If you were alive you'll be dead.

ReputationRep:
    If you look at some lucid dreaming techniques they offer some methods/techniques that can help you distinguish whether you're dreaming or not.

ReputationRep:
    use your totem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoffeeStinks)
    Kiil yourself.
    People never remember being dead, only dying. So if you're dreaming you'll wake up. If you're alive you'll be dead.
    Did that make sense in your head before you typed it

ReputationRep:
    If you're dreaming, you never tend to think rationally as you would in true life.. think to yourself "Who am I? What am I? What did I do yesterday? What will I do tomorrow?" and if you can answer all of these questions, you are fairly certain to be awake just because of the amount of rational thought that will have had to go into asking yourself those questions.

ReputationRep:
    It's a good question. Sometimes I think I might be dreaming but then conclude that of course I'm awake. Then I wake up and realise "Oh right, this is what reality actually feels like."

You can always try tipping a chair too far while sitting on it so it falls over. If you're asleep, the falling sensation will wake you up. Although, if you don't feel the falling sensation you might be asleep...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Complex Simplicity)
    Did that make sense in your head before you typed it
    I ment if you were alive you would be dead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma :)!)
    If you're dreaming, you never tend to think rationally as you would in true life.. think to yourself "Who am I? What am I? What did I do yesterday? What will I do tomorrow?" and if you can answer all of these questions, you are fairly certain to be awake just because of the amount of rational thought that will have had to go into asking yourself those questions.
    But if you were dreaming you wouldn't be able to ask yourself those questions, since you aren't thinking rationally.

ReputationRep:
    I self-learned lucid dreaming.

What you need to learn is top have some sort of reality check within the dream, and then usually it is very easy to realize that you are dreaming.

It is also helpful to use breathing techniques to get directly into the dream stage when you fall asleep. It can be a bit problematic to sort out exactly when the trance-ish state stops and when the dream begins, but eventually it will help you become better at recognizing how your brain works when dreaming. It will also give you an awesome opportunity to remember the start of a dream, and to fly!

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if i understand exactly what you mean or whether this may be of any relevance: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucid_d...eality_testing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoffeeStinks)
    But if you were dreaming you wouldn't be able to ask yourself those questions, since you aren't thinking rationally.
    Yeah that's kinda my point.. If you can ask them, and give answers, you're awake

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's kinda my point.. If you can ask them, and give answers, you're awake
    Oh yeah

ReputationRep:
    If my sense of rationality is compromised within the dream world, how am I meant to rationally deduce if I'm answering the questions correctly? It seems possible that in a dream I could talk nonsense and have it make perfect sense to me at the time; only in retrospect can I decide if it was coherent or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whythehellnot)
    If my sense of rationality is compromised within the dream world, how am I meant to rationally deduce if I'm answering the questions correctly? It seems possible that in a dream I could talk nonsense and have it make perfect sense to me at the time; only in retrospect can I decide if it was coherent or not.
    Well I suppose there's no way of telling if you're dreaming whilst you're dreaming.. all that you could do would be to tell when you're awake.. Unless you can lucid dream, of course, which I would absolutely love to do!

ReputationRep:
    i haven't had a dream in years, or maybe I just just haven't remembered.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure you can still feel pain in a dream.

Here's a thought: killing yourself. Supposedly if you kill yourself in a dream you wake up in reality. But obviously if you kill yourself in reality then...

I think that that's a concept in Inception actually? Either way, don't try it out

ReputationRep:
    Apparently in dreams you can never orgasm but in real life you can....

I mean at least I never orgasm in dreams...maybe its because i've never really orgasmed in life with another because i can never seem to create an intimate relationship with another woman. I don't know what it is, I speak to them but all my conversation are shallow and empty with them, its like i can talk with guys but not with girls. This lack of intimacy with females has created this fear of being gay within me but then i dispells those fears by asking my self "do I really want a ****** in my mouth?" Hell no! I should muscle up some courage and go over and talk to that hot girl at the bar but oh so much fear takes me over, when i try to think of all the reasons why that 10/10 should go out with me i end up thinking about my vacuous empty life and real lack of inner direction as well as my total disregard of any moral principle what so ever, its like i am the only person in the world and everyone else has been given some secret knowledge except me. I brush by people in the street and feel a cold shiver, i get angry with people when i am really saying "please love me!" i will always remember when that hot girl hugged me in grade 7 because i picked up her file that she dropped because i quietly nudged it loose from under her arm. There is no one, nobody loves me.

But yeah, notice you won't orgasm in dreams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saleri)
    Apparently in dreams you can never orgasm but in real life you can....

I mean at least I never orgasm in dreams...maybe its because i've never really orgasmed in life with another because i can never seem to create an intimate relationship with another woman. I don't know what it is, I speak to them but all my conversation are shallow and empty with them, its like i can talk with guys but not with girls. This lack of intimacy with females has created this fear of being gay within me but then i dispells those fears by asking my self "do I really want a ****** in my mouth?" Hell no! I should muscle up some courage and go over and talk to that hot girl at the bar but oh so much fear takes me over, when i try to think of all the reasons why that 10/10 should go out with me i end up thinking about my vacuous empty life and real lack of inner direction as well as my total disregard of any moral principle what so ever, its like i am the only person in the world and everyone else has been given some secret knowledge except me. I brush by people in the street and feel a cold shiver, i get angry with people when i am really saying "please love me!" i will always remember when that hot girl hugged me in grade 7 because i picked up her file that she dropped because i quietly nudged it loose from under her arm. There is no one, nobody loves me.

But yeah, notice you won't orgasm in dreams.
    Whoooaaaa... Don't assume girls want anything, that's relative to the person. The majority of people don't walk up to random people in bars either, that's just something concocted by Hollywood (though some people do). Friends of friends generally seem to be how I meet people, just find myself in their company, have a good chat and it goes from there. You're clearly someone with some intelligence, so go and show it off!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.