Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Welsh students who go to welsh universities wont have fees increased Watch

ReputationRep:
    On the upside for the English they're paying more, so surely would be more desirable because they're putting more into the university (a bit like international students currently).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb9191)
    Basically for Welsh Students...
    Ah ok. Thanks :top:

ReputationRep:
    Sever Wales from England and see how long it survives.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...00-charge.html

This really annoyed me - No one is being punished for being English, people are being punished for the mistakes of greedy bankers.

Just another reason to hate the Daily Mail I suppose. I'm sure tomorrow they'll run an article on how being Welsh gives you cancer or something...

ReputationRep:
    Now I'm just confused.
    I was born in Wales, lived there for the first 6 years of my life, but I've since lived in England. Am I covered by the term 'Welsh domiciled'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diagonali)
    Now I'm just confused.
    I was born in Wales, lived there for the first 6 years of my life, but I've since lived in England. Am I covered by the term 'Welsh domiciled'?
    Got any family still living in Wales? just say you live with them and do student finance wales that way

ReputationRep:
    Very happy about this decision! Have been living in Wales for 5 years now and hated it up until now! (Baring in mind I don't live in the pretty valleys, I live in good old ****ty Newport!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_am_disco)
    Got any family still living in Wales? just say you live with them and do student finance wales that way
    Hahaa actually I do! Nice one (Y) Now to persuade senile grandparents that I've actually been living in their cupboard for a few years... :/

ReputationRep:
    Why should we suffer because of two English politicians?

We are Wales and therefore we should be able to make our own decisions.

I fully agree with the decision today.

Welsh Independence FTW !
    Probably because Wales is part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and as such voted in the 2010 UK general election.

I don't think Wales would survive on its own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatatonicStupor)
    Well, considering this is the man who came out last year and said he wanted to destroy the "entrenched ruling classes" in Welsh Universities, by slicing the budget and shutting down unneccessary institutions...this is a strange little u-turn that brings a smile to my face.

Essentially, while we probably won't be lucky enough to be subsidised to the point that we can still claim that staying in Wales means we pay £1200 instead of £3600 a year, the average Welsh student will still end up being at least £6000 better off when compared to their English counterparts. If this manages to work, without driving Wales into a giant sinkhole of debts, cuts to other areas, or inflated taxes, it might actually be the first step towards proving that Devolution is actually worth it.
    No, no, if you actually devolved then Westminster would stop giving you money and you'd be ****ed into a cocked hat.

ReputationRep:

Welsh Independence FTW !
    I agree with you on that point, but why should MPs from Wales get a say in issues which only affect England when English MPs can't get a say in things that go on in Wales?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:

Welsh Independence FTW !
    You realise all teaching quality in Welsh uni;s will now drop right?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by os93)
    Good on the Welsh assembly, a great decision, I am a Welsh student hoping to apply for university in 2012.

I hope Wales can be a beacon for what is right and guide other UK politicians to the correct decision on this matter.

Clegg and Cameron, sort it out.

The finances are hard but the money can and must be found.
    In the case of Wales by cutting their teaching budget. What a grand idea that will turn out to be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spinnerette)
    Good on the Welsh Assembly, would love for us to gain some independence from England like Scotland have but we're not even a country.
    But Scotland is? FFS.

It's this inferiority mentality that has held us back in Wales.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Curzon)
    But Scotland is? FFS.

It's this inferiority mentality that has held us back in Wales.
    No inferiority we're a Principality. Scotland is classed as a country but Wales is classed as Principality of Wales.

EDIT: Been doing some reading on it turns out it's still called a principality by people but it has no constitutional basis. I've never heard of Wales referred to as a country before just a principality.

ReputationRep:
    If Scotland, Wales, England and Northern Ireland became completely separate from each other on Jan 1st 2011, who would fare best?

I don't think Wales or NI could cope without the union. Scotland maybe could.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilickbatteries)
    If Scotland, Wales, England and Northern Ireland became completely separate from each other on Jan 1st 2011, who would fare best?

I don't think Wales or NI could cope without the union. Scotland maybe could.
    Are you serious? England of course.

The others would wither away and beg to join the UK again.

ReputationRep:
    It's this kind of thing that makes me think devolution is stupid. It either shouldn't exist at all or should go all the way and create separate states. As it is, if this is what happens, it will just have the effect of creating bad feeling between the English and the Scottish and Welsh, because the English will effectively be subsidising their education systems (sometime to do with the Barnett formula meaning that Wales and Scotland both get more money per head to spend - not sure if it's in the original article in the thread but it says so on the bbc).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    You realise all teaching quality in Welsh uni;s will now drop right?
    How do you mean?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_am_disco)
    How do you mean?
    Op said to pay for this the money is coming out of the Welsh teaching budget

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.