4.24%

ReputationRep:
    France
    Ireland
    England
    Soctland
    Wales
    Italy.

England's centre partnership is too weak to seriously challenge France of Ireland away.

ReputationRep:
    pinkpenguin, thread title changed

Nervous as always before this game, and as usual my mind is fluctuating between both teams winning the game tonight. Foden was a bit of a fool making the "little brother" comment, as if he needed to stoke any tension for this game as it was, he's made it sure that someone's gonna smash him (hopefully!). Woke up today with a weird feeling of optimism, and contrary to what I predicted earlier, I feel we might actually do it. Roof shut and all, the atmosphere might just tip the scales in our favour. Im now going for Wales 26 18 - England.

Cymru am byth!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys thinking of placing some bets.

Does anybody think the points will exceed 47?

ReputationRep:
    On bet365:

Under 37 points: odds 7/4

37-47 inc. points: odds 2/1

Now lets say I stick 5.72 on under 37, if it is under 37, I return 15.73

Now lets say I also stick £5 on 37-47 inc., if it is this, I return £15

So hopefully the game won't go over 47 points and I have a guaranteed £5 profit?

:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, congratulations England on a deserved victory. If Wales had won, or even drawn that game in the final few minutes, it would have been undeserved. Our attacking with ball in hand was utterly pathetic, and Hook was absolutely wasted at full back (not that it made much difference when he did switch to fly half). England's attack was vastly superior, especially Ashton, who was dangerous and was evidently in the right place at the right time more than once. Foden and Youngs I thought were quiet considering the hype on them, and the scrum veered either way and wasn't the domination a lot of people expected IMO.
    Gutted, but thoughts now set towards what I think will be a tougher game next week up at Murrayfield.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting match indeed. Wales were farrrrr too lateral, which was a shame because they set themselves up in some good situations at times.

England look pretty good, although I still think there is more to come from them.

ReputationRep:
    Transfer from the other thread.

I'm going to moan about Wales:

Useless. Lateral running. Poor defence when it mattered. Missed kicks at home, against England, CAN'T HAPPEN. Phillips: usless. Passing to the feet, spending 5 minutes in the rook, going the same way every time. Who played 13 - Roberts or Henson? I couldn't tell, didn't hear their name once. Stephen Jones = boring. Modern players need to watch tapes of Barry John and Phil Bennet to see how it's done. Andy Powell again proved he doesn't have the temperament to compete at international level: get back on your golf buggy to London.

Backs for the next game:

10. Jones (No-one else, Hook didn't look great when he switched here - no surprise as he's had no practice here)
    11. Williams
    12. Jonathan Davies
    13. Hook
    14. Stoddart
    15. Byrne

And please Gatland, keep you're ****ing mouth shut! Fine job of crushing Hartley's confidence you did this week...
    Someone needs to tell Ashton that he's not playing football, we show respect after we score.

All in all, well done England. And I await the second coming...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVK1XU8k2AA

ReputationRep:
    I can't see a grand slam happening this year. I think the teams are too well matched and I find it hard to pick one who'll dominate all the others.

ReputationRep:
    Keep the pack the same for Scotland, bar Powell. Put Ryan at 8, and boot Powell back to Wasps. Woeful. Drop Phillips, who was dire, stick Peel in. Service sped up immensely. Put Hook back at 12 and drop Roberts, who was terrible today and too similar to Jon Davies as a centre.

ReputationRep:
    As a neutral the game was quite good. Biggest surprise was Wales players didn't seem interested for the first half, not up for the game and just going through the motion. They missed 9 points in penalty kicks which could have actually won them the game. I thought the yellow card they had on the half way line was very harsh. Wales line out was terrible again. In the end England deserved to win as they had a better gameplan. Biggest surprise was the scrum. It was more or less even, I thought England would dominate the scrum with Wales missing both their props.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OneInSolidarity)
    I'm going to moan about Wales:

Useless. Lateral running. Poor defence when it mattered. Missed kicks at home, against England, CAN'T HAPPEN. Phillips: usless. Passing to the feet, spending 5 minutes in the rook, going the same way every time. Who played 13 - Roberts or Henson? I couldn't tell, didn't hear their name once. Stephen Jones = boring. Modern players need to watch tapes of Barry John and Phil Bennet to see how it's done. Andy Powell again proved he doesn't have the temperament to compete at international level: get back on your golf buggy to London.

Backs for the next game:

10. Jones (No-one else, Hook didn't look great when he switched here - no surprise as he's had no practice here)
    11. Williams
    12. Jonathan Davies
    13. Hook
    14. Stoddart
    15. Byrne

And please Gatland, keep you're ****ing mouth shut! Fine job of crushing Hartley's confidence you did this week...
    Someone needs to tell Ashton that he's not playing football, we show respect after we score.

All in all, well done England. And I await the second coming...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVK1XU8k2AA
    Agree with that. Thought we were really poor. Baffled to why Hook was wasted at full back and why Phillips started. Phillips is truly getting worse by the day. Peel is 100% better.

Jonathan Davies looks good and would like to see both Hook and him at centre as Roberts was completely anonymous yesterday. Problem is Byrne at full back and Byrne is completely off form. Jones is a boring player too but Hook doesn't have enough game time at 10. Disappointed with Wales. Some plus points are Jonathan Davies and Stoddart who is a great attacking player but defensively prone sadly.

Was a bit crap having the English gloat at me after as we were in a English pub, but there's next time as said

Gatland needs to keep his mouth shut and think tactically. Our back 5 have a lot of promise though, we missed AJ and GJ as props a lot though, AJ especially as Mitchell was poor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gob Bluth)
    Some plus points are Jonathan Davies and Stoddart who is a great attacking player but defensively prone sadly.

Was a bit crap having the English gloat at me after as we were in a English pub, but there's next time as said
    Those are the only two positives I managed to pick out aswell.
    I live in England at the moment so I'll get stick for the next year, probably because I milked 2008 for 10 years worth of banter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OneInSolidarity)
    Those are the only two positives I managed to pick out aswell.
    I live in England at the moment so I'll get stick for the next year, probably because I milked 2008 for 10 years worth of banter.
    lol luckily i live with people who don't like rugby much so it'll be forgotten by next week. Our back 5 are pretty good and Bradley Davies is looking pretty impressive. To be honest i think Gatland's time is up with his coaching team. Just watching the Irish game and the creativity in the backs when they can keep it in hand just makes you realise how bad our backs are coached.

On another note, do the Irish know how to catch a ball? Baffling how many times they managed to drop it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gob Bluth)
    lol luckily i live with people who don't like rugby much so it'll be forgotten by next week. Our back 5 are pretty good and Bradley Davies is looking pretty impressive. To be honest i think Gatland's time is up with his coaching team. Just watching the Irish game and the creativity in the backs when they can keep it in hand just makes you realise how bad our backs are coached.

On another note, do the Irish know how to catch a ball? Baffling how many times they managed to drop it.
    Yeah Ireland played with pretty poor basic skills... Shame for Italy Am in big support of their development.

ReputationRep:
    England played well - could have created more chances though. Also need more discipline if we are to continue winning consistently.

Wales far too lateral and way too predictable - almost a carbon copy of the Autumn tests.

Italy almost giving Ireland a fright! Italy are going to cause an upset or two I fancy (Wales and/or Scotland), coming on very well and Parisse is a world class 8.

France looking very good at the moment against Scotland - will they be consistent though?

ReputationRep:
    I'm amazed we scored 3 tries in 1 game! :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QwentyJ)
    I'm amazed we scored 3 tries in 1 game! :eek3:
    Haha, was pleasantly surprised as well. We might not need to rely too much on Parks anymore.

ReputationRep:
    Ireland = :facepalm2: Hopefully that was the kick up the arse we needed. O'Driscoll and D'Arcy probably dropped upwards of 50% of the balls they were given. Awful. Italy are looking good, now they actually have some defensive organisation, incidentally.

Scotland looked pretty good though. They exposed what was (imo) a very week French defence. Their defense seemed to stay strong for a phase or two but when Scotland maintained their continuity, gaps seemed to open up everywhere.

Expect other teams to expose France in the same way. No point scoring 5 tries if the other team scores 6..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpenguin)
    Can we make this the official 6N thread? We normally have a separate one so club talk can continue in the Rugby Union Society thread.

Prediction is hard. Heart says Ireland for the Slam (obviously), but head says a France title.

Ireland have their easy draw (France and England at home) this year, so anytime that is the case we have a shot.

Predictions for the weekend:

Wales 21-24 England
    Scotland 12-22 France
    Italy 12 - 17 Ireland

One to watch = Sean O'Brien. I guarantee he'll turn some heads if Kidney picks him. Quality player.
    So here we are again penguin, one year on whats your thoughts on Ireland? Thought they were pretty dire at the weekend especially the backs, drico and o darcy were pretty shocking. Trust rog to come on and be the hero, bet he gets the nod for france. Tbf id prefer him to start over sexton, not really impreesed with johnny at the mo and rog is obv mailes ahead in exp in terms of game play and kicking...shame about the tackling! Heaslip is meant to be back for france, would love ferris to be fit aswell he is a key player.

As for the weekends game i was really impressed with scotland i thought they were brilliant, def the best of the home nations. The new tall guy with blonde hair i thought was particularly good (sorry for the lack of knowledge forgot his name!)

England were lucky, it was there for the taking for Wales and MJ's face was a picture as always with a frustrating performance. Cant see Wales making much of a claim for the title and same for england.

France as always unpredictable looked mesmeric in stages at the weekend with quick turnovers, recycling and support play to exhaust the scot defence and ultimately score- no suprise ther. But also thought there defence was dire at times- definately beatable.

Big week next week with ireland v france. If the winner is ireland i can see them going all the eay (and england irlenad final for the grand slam at the new landsdowne almost seems written in books-its fate) yet if france win i can see them winning the title but not the slam. Thats right folks you heard it here first.

My predictions are: 1.Ireland 2. england 3. france 4. scotland 5. wales 6. italy.

ReputationRep:
    Good weekend of rugby!

Although i'm disappointed that Scotland lost, i'm pleased that we were more creative and scored three tries! When was the last time that happened?! Gray was brilliant, and Ansbro looked really sharp. Scrum was destroyed - Euan Murray was useless. France were just sublime going forward, however because they play such an open game doing so, there defence did have gaps in it allowing the Scots through. Still so pleased with the progress that Scotland have made under Robinson though.

Italy certainly look very dangerous and Ireland were disappointing. I think their best days are behind them sadly (Hope i'm proved wrong). Wales just were not great and England were indeed cylnical, however, i don't think they yet deserve the hype that the media are giving them. (Anyone else really hate it when players celebrate before actually scoring the try a la Chris Ashton?!)

Bring on next weekend!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.