Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miss_world)
    North London, but I'd be more than willing to travel! I have had several CRB checks but I'm not sure how long they last for. Do you need a new one each year?

I don't know anyone who works in a school in London!
    They don't work in terms of length, you need a seperate one for each place you need it for. Whether that be a school/hospital/ etc.

If you want work experience i suggest you do some research on schools websites, send a letter or phone - heads of departments or head teachers (but more than likely they won't help), if a HOD reads/speak to you and is willing to let you come in they will get permission. Speak to as many as possible.

ReputationRep:
    anybody...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thedan22)
    anybody...
    I've still not sent mine, just waiting for the reference to be added.
    EDIT: Sent it last week.

ReputationRep:
    anybody...
    How is your app going? I ended up applying for work in U.k and secured a job :-)

ReputationRep:
    Sent my application off the other day

Applying for secondary Physics though, so hardly a rush, i don't think a Physics teaching course has ever filled up ever.

ReputationRep:
    I have sent off my PGCE application but that's all I've done, I have still got to decide if I'm going to give myself the best odds and apply to Teach First and GTP yet. Probably left it a bit late now.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on your subject really suzana. if you're going for any subject that gets a bursary you'll be fine (the reason why they still have bursaries, after all, is because there's so few of them), but otherwise you may be in a bit of a pickle :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Comfy Chair)
    It depends on your subject really suzana. if you're going for any subject that gets a bursary you'll be fine (the reason why they still have bursaries, after all, is because there's so few of them), but otherwise you may be in a bit of a pickle :/
    It's for English, so I think I'm screwed now :p:

My PGCE app is still with the first choice though so I might be OK, I have 4 rejections to go still before I'm completely out of options!

ReputationRep:
    Ah right You'll be fine then! I know that the english course at the university of Birmingham filled in about a month though! So just make sure you really impress at the interview when you get one

ReputationRep:
    any1 applied for biology pgce..the wait is a killer..'consideration'

ReputationRep:
    Someone can have my job lol I hate it!! You lot are mad!!

ReputationRep:
    Ah right You'll be fine then! I know that the english course at the university of Birmingham filled in about a month though! So just make sure you really impress at the interview when you get one
    I've got an interview at Bath Spa at the end of March, I phoned to check and they will definitely still have places by then! I'll have to work extra hard to get some experience before then...

(Original post by Charliejl1982)
    Someone can have my job lol I hate it!! You lot are mad!!
    Why do you hate it? What are we getting ourselves in for?

ReputationRep:
    Year 8 classes most likely

There's always the bad year, but ah well I'll probably end up mainly teaching GCSE and A-Level classes when i start teaching, but there will always be the bad groups.

Still, you take the good with the bad I have great fun teaching A-Level and Year 11 in my teaching related module in my Physics course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suzanathema)

Why do you hate it? What are we getting ourselves in for?
    There is a multitude of reasons why I personally hate teaching, in summary... You spend your day on your own with a bunch of muppets, your time is never your own, you teach the same stuff ( even with rotating classes/topics) time and time again, very few kids want to learn - unless u go to a private school, you work every hour there is,
    On the plus side ( and the only two good points! ) holidays! And I go on ski trip for free arrr another downside the money goes up fairly quick meaning u get used to it so can't afford to quit. I read in the times 7/10 teachers hate their jobs. So that's me a nice cheery soul! I'm sure if it's something u wanna do you'll love it though

ReputationRep:
    There is a multitude of reasons why I personally hate teaching, in summary... You spend your day on your own with a bunch of muppets, your time is never your own, you teach the same stuff ( even with rotating classes/topics) time and time again, very few kids want to learn - unless u go to a private school, you work every hour there is,
    On the plus side ( and the only two good points! ) holidays! And I go on ski trip for free arrr another downside the money goes up fairly quick meaning u get used to it so can't afford to quit. I read in the times 7/10 teachers hate their jobs. So that's me a nice cheery soul! I'm sure if it's something u wanna do you'll love it though
    I'm pretty sure one of the reasons for the huge bursary cuts across PGCE was to stop graduates going into teaching 'just because' though

So hopefully that statistic will start going down now

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure one of the reasons for the huge bursary cuts across PGCE was to stop graduates going into teaching 'just because' though

So hopefully that statistic will start going down now
    I never said I started teaching just because. Regardless of this all my points still stand whatever your reason to go into teaching.

ReputationRep:
    I never said you did charlie, but 7/10 not liking it stinks of 'just because' to me

ReputationRep:

Aw, what subject do you do? Sorry if you already mentioned that, I've just finished a looong call centre shift (being a new graduate rocks, eh?) and my mind won't function so well until I've had a beer and a sit down

I think had the same reservations before I decided on teaching as a career (that and both my parents teach, I really resent this "getting into the family business" thing) but I think in the further education sector you meet a lot of kids who do want to learn - or they wouldn't be there. Have you ever considered switching to a college where you just do A level and GCSE resits? You might find it a bit nicer.

Although saying that I will probably end up loving shouting at the year 8s who won't stop throwing chairs about, you never know until you try it...

ReputationRep:
    any1 applied for biology pgce..the wait is a killer..'consideration'
    I have. Was sent last week, still with my first choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHABANA)
    I have. Was sent last week, still with my first choice.
    where have you applied...i hear places are filling up quick

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.