Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Oh my god! You're right! We've been ranking universities by how good they are academically, but we should actually be doing it by how much their buildings look like a church!

Oh thank you so much for this revelation! You're our saviour! Aberdeen is obviously on par with Oxbridge now!
    Aberdeen can't be that good if it takes someone with BCDD. This person..holy crap! *shakes head*

(Original post by Beska)
      Oh my god! You're right! We've been ranking universities by how good they are academically, but we should actually be doing it by how much their buildings look like a church!
      The league tables rank them using student satisfaction (which in no way will determine whether or not I'll be happy there. It's totally irrelevant), drop out rates (which could suggest that the university is academically rigorous), number of students achieving good honours (which could suggest that the course has been dumbed down).

So yes, I do care more about architecture than what most league tables use in their methodology. An aesthetically pleasing environment serves serves to provide me with a better academic environment which I'll work harder in, because I care about that sort of thing. Grey concrete slabs depress me and remind me of post-war secondary schools.

(Original post by love_junkie298)
      Aberdeen can't be that good if it takes someone with BCDD. This person..holy crap! *shakes head*
      Entry requirements reflect popularity and nothing else. You also have to remember than Aberdeen, being a Scottish university, has its degrees as four year courses as opposed to three. To enter into the second year directly, you need A grades. You also have to bare in mind that Aberdeen can struggle to attract students due to how far North it is, even for most Scottish students.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by kbountra)
      Thought I would do a list excluding Oxbridge and London unis....in no particular order-
      Bristol
      Bath
      Birmingham
      Sheffield
      Nottingham
      Manchester
      Edinburgh
      St Andrews
      York
      Durham
      where's leeds?

ReputationRep:
      Oxford (Russel Group)
      Cambridge (Russel Group)
      Warwick (Russel Group)
      Durham
      York
      LSE (Russel Group)
      Exeter
      Imperial (Russel Group)
      UCL (Russel Group)
      Cardiff (Russel Group)
      • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by RamocitoMorales)
      The league tables rank them using student satisfaction (which in no way will determine whether or not I'll be happy there. It's totally irrelevant), drop out rates (which could suggest that the university is academically rigorous), number of students achieving good honours (which could suggest that the course has been dumbed down).

So yes, I do care more about architecture than what most league tables use in their methodology. An aesthetically pleasing environment serves serves to provide me with a better academic environment which I'll work harder in, because I care about that sort of thing. Grey concrete slabs depress me and remind me of post-war secondary schools
      I have no idea what your backstory is, but since you're so determined to show Aberdeen as a top-10 university equal to the likes of Oxbridge I am just going to assume that you missed offers or otherwise were rejected by Oxbridge or some other university which is actually in the top 10.

(Original post by RDL445)
        OAH Just because your university has good architecture doesnt mean its a top 10 university. I could name 30 other universities that are generally better than Aberdeen.
        In the UK? Go on then.

ReputationRep:
        Oxbridge
        LSE
        Imperial
        UCL
        Warwick
        Bristol
        Durham
        Edinburgh
        Nottingham
        St Andrews

ReputationRep:

So yes, I do care more about architecture than what most league tables use in their methodology. An aesthetically pleasing environment serves serves to provide me with a better academic environment which I'll work harder in, because I care about that sort of thing. Grey concrete slabs depress me and remind me of post-war secondary schools.
        And yet with such a great academic enviroment it has a 13.5% drop out (Durham 3.9%) rate whilst boasts being in the top10! Amazing
        • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
        Oxford

Aberdeen

Lancaster

Notice the trend? :hmmm:
        I've noticed that this is not necessarily true:

Quality of building architecture \propto Quality of university

Interpret as you like.

ReputationRep:

Aberdeen

:laugh:
        Anyone else think Aberdeen looks especially ugly after seeing the picture of Oxford? No offence... :blush:

If the best unis are based on architecture, RHUL (based on the founder's building, at least) should at least be top 5! Alas, it is not. Please stop drooling over Aberdeen. I'm not disputing it has its good points (not that I'd know, considering I've never been there) but this is a top 10 uni thread. Aberdeen isn't a top 10 uni.

ReputationRep:
        Reputation tables:
        1) Cambridge
        2) Oxford
        3) LSE
        4) Imperial
        5) UCL
        6) Bristol
        7) Warwick
        8) Edinburgh
        9) King's College London
        10) St Andrews
        11) Durham
        12) York
        13) Bath
        14) Manchester
        15) Nottingham
        16) Sheffield
        17) Birmingham
        18) Southampton
        19) Lancaster
        20) Newcastle
        21) Leeds
        22) Loughborough
        23) Exeter
        24) Glasgow

http://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-141689.0.html

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Beska)
        I have no idea what your backstory is, but since you're so determined to show Aberdeen as a top-10 university equal to the likes of Oxbridge I am just going to assume that you missed offers or otherwise were rejected by Oxbridge or some other university which is actually in the top 10.
        Yeah he did, he weren't good enough for Leeds
        • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by T-Toe)
        Yeah he did, he weren't good enough for Leeds
        Ah right. That answers a lot of questions.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by LutherVan)
        Reputation tables:
        1) Cambridge
        2) Oxford
        3) LSE
        4) Imperial
        5) UCL
        6) Bristol
        7) Warwick
        8) Edinburgh
        9) King's College London
        10) St Andrews
        11) Durham
        12) York
        13) Bath
        14) Manchester
        15) Nottingham
        16) Sheffield
        17) Birmingham
        18) Southampton
        19) Lancaster
        20) Newcastle
        21) Leeds
        22) Loughborough
        23) Exeter
        24) Glasgow

http://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-141689.0.html
        You forgot Aberdeen! It should be in there somwhere in the top 10! :cool:

ReputationRep:
        All league tables are pretty poor, but the Guardian stands out among them as being exceptionally useless and bewildering. :facepalm:

When you've wisened up and learned a little, you'll soon realise...

Spoiler:
        Show
        Until then, I'm going to have to put up with your and your sort. :sigh:
        Guardian is definitely the worst. It places Durham at 22 for law lmao.

Times and the complete university guide are the two to go by imo.

ReputationRep:
        Obviously oxbridge and top london unis etc!
        I'd personally place redbricks like leeds/sheffield/manchester over somewhere like exeter! A good uni obviously but i think it's a bit over rated!

And this chap spouting so much of this aberdeen ****e, you have popped up in SO many threads it is painfully obvious that you have some form of inferiority complex!

ReputationRep:
        Just in an attempt to pull this back on topic, universities vary per subject. Most (if not all) of the suggestions above represent good quality institutions and better.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by ramocitomorales)
        why the hell are you in every thread promoting aberdeen! Go away!

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by T-Toe)
        where's leeds?
        I would have put Leeds and Southampton 11th and 12th if it is any consolation
        They are all on a similar level tbh and it probably just varies by subject.

ReputationRep:
        Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, Imperial, LSE, KCL, Warwick, St Andrews, Durham, Birmingham?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
      Useful resources
      Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.