Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gleek#1)
    Recently, I have received an offer from Aston for pharmacy for AAB. At first I was overjoyed as Aston was going to be my firm. Yet to my shock I discovered upon clicking on the offer conditions that they require me to achieve A in biology A in chem and B in my third A-level and B at AS. The problem that I have is that with my current grade in biology which is B at the moment I don't think I can achieve an A grade. My predicted grades are A in chem B in biology and an A in my third A-level which is something I'm working towards.
    So in summary they offered me a place which needs me to get A in biology when they knew that my predicted grade in Biology was B. As I have already eluded to in the title of this thread I feel cheated and somewhat annoyed as they have given me an offer which they strongly believe I cannot attain and I know I cannot attain.
    Advice needed, as I'm at a loss.

PS: don't comment saying try harder because believe me I will, but there are no guarantee that I will be able to get an A as I need to achieve 90% in my A2 year (which is almost impossible).

I know of people who got offered ABB and BBB which is seemingly unfair.
    I can sympathise with your situation, but you should have checked what their offers could have been before you applied, a simple check on their website would have told you their admissions criteria and if you genuinely thought you couldn't achieve that, well then you shouldn't have applied.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sapphire54)
    I went to Bath today (also for pharmacy) and they said if you fell you cannot get your predicted grades please tell us and we will offer you something lower. So maybe try ringing them up?
    Ok I will do that tomorrow first thing =p

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    I completely understand where you're coming from. I just think that it may be more productive to show a little more support, because other readers may be in similar situations and seeing that it's not all bad, reading a few words of encouragement, can all go hand in hand with the general posts you've made.
    I know that as I am in a similar situation myself funnily enough. Fair enough that Manchester is not my first choice, but they did offer me an A in a subject I was only expecting to require a C in (A-level foreign language) so are pretty unsuitable as an insurance choice now, and I'm not too happy. I know what it's like getting an unexpected offer. I also know the productive response to such a situation...

I know this will sound girly, but there's a lot of meaning in the way we say things.

I think someone else said before "your PS may have been crap" and someone else (maybe you actually) said "other people may have written better PS's" (these aren't word for word quotes). They both basically say the same thing, but the way the first one comes off is very negative.

The reason this sounds girly; "it's not what you said it's the way you said it".
    It is important to be tactful, I know.

ReputationRep:
    Recently, I have received an offer from Aston for pharmacy for AAB. At first I was overjoyed as Aston was going to be my firm. Yet to my shock I discovered upon clicking on the offer conditions that they require me to achieve A in biology A in chem and B in my third A-level and B at AS. The problem that I have is that with my current grade in biology which is B at the moment I don't think I can achieve an A grade. My predicted grades are A in chem B in biology and an A in my third A-level which is something I'm working towards.
    So in summary they offered me a place which needs me to get A in biology when they knew that my predicted grade in Biology was B. As I have already eluded to in the title of this thread I feel cheated and somewhat annoyed as they have given me an offer which they strongly believe I cannot attain and I know I cannot attain.

PS: don't comment saying try harder because believe me I will, but there are no guarantee that I will be able to get an A as I need to achieve 90% in my A2 year (which is almost impossible).

I know that you are disappointed but Aston sometimes gives theses offers out, I have seen people with it over my time on TSR.

You have to understand that the university needs to know that YOU are capable of studying a pharmacy degree with them. So by giving this offer and you getting the grades..it will give them the reassurance that they are taking on the right student

Now you need to decide if you are able and motivated enough to do this. If this truly is the university of your choice and you decided to put this as your firm, then drastic changes need to take place. Getting your exam preparation and coursework up to a high standard are just two of the things you can do.

Why not try hard for the moment and wait for the other universities to reply back. Have you applied to any unis with lower grade offers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by petzneo)

Why not try hard for the moment and wait for the other universities to reply back. Have you applied to any unis with lower grade offers?

I think that a lot of people seem to think that I'm slacking or not motivated enough to do the work I need to achieve an A at A-level Biology. But this is far from the truth I have clearly AND openly stated in my first post that I will try my best as I have already been doing so in the past and I will hopefully will overcome this milestone in my academic career.
    And to those who have been saying that I should have already checked with the university before even applying, I just want to say SCREW you for telling me to do something that I already have done and thus missing the point of my whole frustration. Which by the way is that they have given me an offer which exceeds my predicted grades... Now call me crazy but them doing that is logically or at least morally not acceptable especially in the light of knowing that they gave BBB and ABB offers to other candidates.

ReputationRep:
    I think that a lot of people seem to think that I'm slacking or not motivated enough to do the work I need to achieve an A at A-level Biology. But this is far from the truth I have clearly AND openly stated in my first post that I will try my best as I have already been doing so in the past and I will hopefully will overcome this milestone in my academic career.
    And to those who have been saying that I should have already checked with the university before even applying, I just want to say SCREW you for telling me to do something that I already have done and thus missing the point of my whole frustration. Which by the way is that they have given me an offer which exceeds my predicted grades... Now call me crazy but them doing that is logically or at least morally not acceptable especially in the light of knowing that they gave BBB and ABB offers to other candidates.
    I know that...I was just reiterating that point Listen, maybe you should talk to your 6th form about this and see what the best way of going forward, they might suggest emailing the university about it?

And try to chill a little there is no need to get angry, though I get understand your frustration so just ignore what the other posters say...

Anyway good luck!

ReputationRep:
    can I just ask when did you send off your UCAS, and how long did Aston take to respond to you? anyone? thanks

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=gleek#1;28721353]Recently, I have received an offer from Aston for pharmacy for AAB. At first I was overjoyed as Aston was going to be my firm. Yet to my shock I discovered upon clicking on the offer conditions that they require me to achieve A in biology A in chem and B in my third A-level and B at AS. The problem that I have is that with my current grade in biology which is B at the moment I don't think I can achieve an A grade. My predicted grades are A in chem B in biology and an A in my third A-level which is something I'm working towards.

I know of people who got offered ABB and BBB which is seemingly unfair.[/QUOTE]

Did they get offers of ABB/BBB this year?
    Because Aston have a minimum offer of AAB. Unless you have already completed your A levels in which it is ABB.

ReputationRep:

its not really cheating, there are no rules regarding offers - if Aston wanted to offer you a place for 24 A* grades even if you were doing 3, then so be it - thats what they want. and if u feel they're unfair, just reject it and go to other uni, what else can i say.

i think i had unfair offer as well, usually Kings require AAA and a B at AS. for me they've offered a place for AAA and a B at an A level and not AS. bearing in mind others got lower offers, it was unfair but thats just the way it is, but the one thing im sure is you can't, other than as an opinion, state theyre cheaters and if you are only expressing your opinion, then just forget about it and go somewhere else.

regarding how to better the situation, im not sure if it is a good idea, double check with one of your teachers, and on their advice write to the uni and explain the situation. if they refure to change the offer, try to do your best and MOST IMPORTANTLY try to do extra activities such as Extended Project, and if you dont get an A in Biology, thei might say - ok, good student, done lots of other activities other than what we required, maybe its worth accepting.

ReputationRep:
    This isn't really cheating you out of (or off :p:) anything at all. It's not like the offer is in anyway impossible, it just requires you to put in a LOT of hard work- but if you want to, you can do that. Getting up to a high A from a B is entirely doable. Last year, in my AS levels, I did a past paper for my C1 exam, about two months before I was due to sit it, and I got a U. I worked on my maths a lot and I came out with an A, not just in that module but overall. Prove to them that you're good enough, because you are. They wouldn't have given you an offer at all if there wasn't a decent chance of you acheiving it.

ReputationRep:
    WHoever told you about an offer of BBB was lying to you mate. I applied last year and was told at the open day that if i put Aston as firm and got BBB, they would very likely let me in, even though my original offer was of ABB...they said this to everyone in the hall and I remember people on this forum quoting that aswell. Even though I got BBB and put Aston as my firm, I still didnt get in, like many other people. I dont think anyone got in with BBB last year and I wouldnt see why anyone would this year what with the ever increasing competition. I know how you feel mate, I was absolutely gutted on results day and I still am over ten weeks later-had to end up in Bradford studying Pharmacy:mad: You just gotta really push for that AAB...if i could have gone back in time I would have done all or nothing, ie ensured that i got ABB, take all resits as possible to try and meet the condition cuz at least if you dont get in you know you did everything you could to get in. Sitting on TSR and complaining about it sure as hell wont help but doing some more resits and hitting the books hard actually will.

ReputationRep:

sorry if i sound rude but thats a load of *******s. they can offer you what they want depending on what they think of you....i had BBB predictions and most of my offers were above that...they arent gonna offer you what you are predicted unless thats their standard offer...be grateful they have offered you

ReputationRep:

depends on competition, and there was lots i ended up getting an A in a different subject and they still let me in, i got a B in chem so dont be dishearterened by their offer they just want u too work ard and if u put them as ur firm they l prob let u in in

mY Offer last year was ABB and a A in chemistry which i knew i couldnt get, but i still put it as m firm as on the open day they said u may get in anyway

ReputationRep:
    im in the same boat
    i'm kind of annoyed because i'm luky to get a b in biologu

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bbkk15)
    mY Offer last year was ABB and a A in chemistry which i knew i couldnt get, but i still put it as m firm as on the open day they said u may get in anyway
    So did you get in then?

ReputationRep:
    Cheated you of an offer. Come on. I'm doing medicine, I have no offers for it yet, just a straight rejection and another one is likely to come in the next few days. I'm predicted AAA, the courses ask for AAA, I'll be happy if I got a 3A* offer because an offers an offer and if I get an offer like that I'll work my guts off to make sure I get it, just be happy about the fact you got an offer. You can resit AS modules if you have to. Arghhh I don't see why people complain about their offers, think about the person who has to spend a gap year or do another course they don't want because you took their place and think about how lucky you are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ali242)
    sorry if i sound rude but thats a load of *******s. they can offer you what they want depending on what they think of you....i had BBB predictions and most of my offers were above that...they arent gonna offer you what you are predicted unless thats their standard offer...be grateful they have offered you
    Exactly. Better getting an offer than none at all.

ReputationRep:
    Man up!

ReputationRep:
    i applied to aston on 10th december with predicted a in bio, a in chem nd a in history and i still havent got an offer. be happy u got an offer cuz some people like me would be over the moon if they gt an offer form aston

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riotgrrl)
    This isn't really cheating you out of (or off :p:) anything at all. It's not like the offer is in anyway impossible, it just requires you to put in a LOT of hard work- but if you want to, you can do that. Getting up to a high A from a B is entirely doable. Last year, in my AS levels, I did a past paper for my C1 exam, about two months before I was due to sit it, and I got a U. I worked on my maths a lot and I came out with an A, not just in that module but overall. Prove to them that you're good enough, because you are. They wouldn't have given you an offer at all if there wasn't a decent chance of you acheiving it.
    Same here.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.