Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonathanHanratty)
    Open to Q's if any of you so wish
    Hey Jonathan.

I was wondering, are there many mature law students on your course? Just applied at 24, currently studying Certificate of Higher Education in Legal Methods at Birkbeck and predicted a distinction and Newcastle is one of my choices so hoping there are some

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OneWordStory)
    Hey Jonathan.

I was wondering, are there many mature law students on your course? Just applied at 24, currently studying Certificate of Higher Education in Legal Methods at Birkbeck and predicted a distinction and Newcastle is one of my choices so hoping there are some
    I wouldn't worry, there's some here. At 24 you would fit in no problem

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry, there's some here. At 24 you would fit in no problem
    cool cool, what is the partying like in first year, Newcastle has a great night life. Madame Koos, Perdu, tupTup, Revs, Mushroom, tiger tiger?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OneWordStory)
    cool cool, what is the partying like in first year, Newcastle has a great night life. Madame Koos, Perdu, tupTup, Revs, Mushroom, tiger tiger?
    It's really good although I'm probably not the person to ask! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Open to Q's if any of you so wish
    Hey, appreciate the offer! Just a couple of questions...
    1) I've heard the accomadation near the law school is quite good, but as a law student would you say that living really near the faculty is a bit of shame as you wouldn't get to see much of the Uni?
    2) Whats the Work Experience department like? Are they switched on regarding helping undergraduates get contacts for when they leave?
    3) I'm heading up to see the Law School on the 2nd Feb, are there any places you'd recommend I go and have a look at, both in the city and the Uni?I'm relatively local ( enough to get the same news bulletins) but I don't know much about where things are in the city.

Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrawberryFields18)
    Hey, appreciate the offer! Just a couple of questions...
    1) I've heard the accomadation near the law school is quite good, but as a law student would you say that living really near the faculty is a bit of shame as you wouldn't get to see much of the Uni?
    2) Whats the Work Experience department like? Are they switched on regarding helping undergraduates get contacts for when they leave?
    3) I'm heading up to see the Law School on the 2nd Feb, are there any places you'd recommend I go and have a look at, both in the city and the Uni?I'm relatively local ( enough to get the same news bulletins) but I don't know much about where things are in the city.

Thankyou
    Well I'd say being near the law school is a bonus, to be honest there's plenty of opportunities to see the rest of the uni without sacrificing the location of the accommodation.
    There are plenty of functions organised to meet firms etc for contracts in second year so I'd say they are definitely 10/10 in that department.
    Lastly, if you walk down through the older uni buildings into town and through eldon square shopping centre then you'd pretty much see most things that are worth seeing. You could even continue down (it's mainly one long road) and end up on the riverside, then you'd have seen 'the sights'.

Hope this has helped.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, i've been offered a place with the AAA condition, my predictions are AAA but if you put it as your firm choice are they more flexible say if i got AAB. I read that those were your grades Jonathan, is that common amongst the other students or a rarity?
    Think i'm visiting on Feb 23rd!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr.cole)
    Hey, i've been offered a place with the AAA condition, my predictions are AAA but if you put it as your firm choice are they more flexible say if i got AAB. I read that those were your grades Jonathan, is that common amongst the other students or a rarity?
    Think i'm visiting on Feb 23rd!
    Common as far as I am aware, one of my friends got ABB, they were put on a waiting list but they were 2nd on it and were told that they would almost certainly get in.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heading up there tomorrow?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachlala14)

I now have all my offers for Law and I'm considering putting Newcastle as my confirmed and Northumbria as my insurance.

Looks like I'm putting Newcastle as my confirmed choice too after the open day today Undecided on my insurance still though

ReputationRep:
    Yep, the Law Open Day was very good, it's a very 'one to one' Law School, therefore making it very helpful in different areas of law and general academia. The School even give you feedback on your work; something which other uni's are not inclined towards.

ReputationRep:
    Aw, I helped out at the open day today and am really glad it convinced some people towards the law school =] it's def. a really good place to go, it has a good level of prestige, is very supportive on a pastoral level, and has a good work/social balance.
    If you want to shoot me any questions on this thread, go for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma151015)
    Aw, I helped out at the open day today and am really glad it convinced some people towards the law school =] it's def. a really good place to go, it has a good level of prestige, is very supportive on a pastoral level, and has a good work/social balance.
    If you want to shoot me any questions on this thread, go for it
    Hiya - this isn't really about the Law School, but I see you're from Belfast, I'm from Fermanagh myself what's it like living across the water? Any pros/cons, do your family visit often?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barnowl)
    Looks like I'm putting Newcastle as my confirmed choice too after the open day today Undecided on my insurance still though
    *High Five* Yay I don't know why but every time I remind myself that I'm probably going to be going to Uni in September I get so excited!!!
    Can't wait til the old A levels are over tbh :mad:

What are your options for insurance?

ReputationRep:
    I went to the Law Open Day, had to walking past Queen Victoria Road and saw all the posters saying "English Sheep Shagging Northern Monkeys".
    What the hell was that all about. Anyone else who went do you know what was going on. A lot of people from Chelsea were there.

ReputationRep:
    *High Five* Yay I don't know why but every time I remind myself that I'm probably going to be going to Uni in September I get so excited!!!
    Can't wait til the old A levels are over tbh :mad:

What are your options for insurance?
    I agree can't wait to go to Uni
    Got a choice of Hull or Northumbria, I'm tempted to go with Northumbria because of the practical aspect included in the degree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barnowl)
    I agree can't wait to go to Uni
    Got a choice of Hull or Northumbria, I'm tempted to go with Northumbria because of the practical aspect included in the degree
    NORTHUMBRIAAAAA ha, its deffo gonna be my insurance because I just really REALLY want to go to Newcastle, it'll be brilliant
    I'm not sure what Hull's like, but i'm sure its fantastic too!!

ReputationRep:
    Hiya - this isn't really about the Law School, but I see you're from Belfast, I'm from Fermanagh myself what's it like living across the water? Any pros/cons, do your family visit often?
    Hi Rach, Sorry it took so long to reply!
    Right, well, there's loads of people from Norn Iron here, there's actually a few from Fermanagh in my year.
    I'd say there's a few pros, but just as many cons! Sorry!
    Pros are that if you go to Queens or University of Ulster, I can tell you that from having a lot of friends there, it's very cliquish and hard to make new mates- everybody has their pre-formed groups from school, and everybody who moves out still goes home for the weekend. So, you don't really get the same experience of University as if you'd moved away.
    I LOVED my first year, and only visited home on holidays, but this year the workload has built up immensely, and moving out of halls brings a lot of responsibilities and less fun, and i've been a hell of a lot more homesick, which has made me question if I made the right move coming over.
    However, it's so easy to head home- just book up on Easyjet during the sales and it's about £30, i've been home the past two weekends in a row, and think i'm getting over the homesickness. And i've realized that I really needed to move away from home to realize how much I love it! lol.
    At the end of the day, I think I would have really regretted staying in Belfast and thinking 'what if?'. I'm not going to lie, I have personally found it tough being away from home at times, but it's so simple to get on Easyjet, get on the metro and be home in a few hours if you feel like that, and it isn't as expensive as you'd think.
    I think moving away is a great experience for making new friends and becoming independent, and Newcastle is a great city with a culture similar to that in Northern Ireland- the people are friendly and the city is quite convivial.
    It's a hard choice to make, but I don't regret it one bit, even if i'm on the phone in tears to my mummy sometimes!
    And one of the best friends i've made over here is from Belfast, and she doesn't get homesick in the slightest, so don't let me put you off! =P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma151015)
    so don't let me put you off! =P
    Thank you soooooo much for taking the time to write that huge big post - as well as making me smile, it answered so many of my questions about moving away!
    I've put Newcastle as my CF and Northumbria as my CI which is really exciting and tbh, I can't wait to move away regardless of whether I get a little homesick or not..I know I'll miss good old Northern Ireland but I certainly will not miss the whole sectarian aspect that still remains here, regardless of how good things here are at the moment!
    My mum has made me promise to text her and skype her at least once a week :L Sometimes I think she'll miss me more than I'll miss home! But I will miss the good old home cooking!

What is rent like in 2nd year when you move out of halls? Are you living really far from the uni?

ReputationRep:
    I know Newcastle is known for their night life but would I still be fine if I am not the sort of clubbing type?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.