Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

UK's Problem: Nick Clegg Did a Sociology Degree Watch

ReputationRep:
    because it has "ology" in it doesn't make it mickey mouse.

ReputationRep:
    Yet another 'My subject is better than yours' thread. Its like being in a playground.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey)
    Clegg studied Social Anthropology at Cambridge University and was active in the student theatre

Clegg studied Social Anthropology at Cambridge University

Clegg studied Social Anthropology

Social Anthropology

This is why our country is in bad shape, surely what did you expect from someone who did a micky mouse degree.
    Yes, if he'd done physics it'd make him a better politician...

Politics is a social science, philosophy is seen as mickey mouse in some circles and economics is (apparently!) maths for those who can't do maths.

Cameron did PPE.

Clegg also went to one of the best universities in the world, as well as having a first class education at Winchester. Cameron went to Oxford and Eton, they're both remarkably clever people.

I don't think a PPE or social anthop. is a mickey mouse degree...Cambridge simply don't do mickey mouse

ReputationRep:
    Speaking as someone who has only ever studied Social Sciences since finishing GCSEs, I can vouch for darling old Cleggers
    Chemistry, Physics, Biology and Maths arent gonna exactly going to help a political career are they? They dont tell you anything about how people work on their most important social level!
    Subjects like Social Anthropology encourage students to think beyond very narrow minded constructs given to us by science. Clegg has done a very good subject, at an amazing university, to set him up in his political career

What we need is a Prime Minister who graduated from Aberdeen.

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey)
    Clegg studied Social Anthropology at Cambridge University and was active in the student theatre
    This is why our country is in bad shape, surely what did you expect from someone who did a micky mouse degree.
    Sound like someone I know...

No but really Ive just finished my first term of this course at Cam - its pretty hard. Ive done 12 3000 word essays in 8 weeks, each time followed by a 1-on-1 hour long session with a world leading academic in the field I've written on, grilling me.... plus the reading supervisions, seminars, lots of reading etc.

I wouldn't say its at the level of medicine or law in terms of work load, but its pretty challenging - certainly not a 'mickey mouse' subject.

And Im active in student theatre hah!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-o dore)
    Sound like someone I know...

No but really Ive just finished my first term of this course at Cam - its pretty hard. Ive done 12 3000 word essays in 8 weeks, each time followed by a 1-on-1 hour long session with a world leading academic in the field I've written on, grilling me.... plus the reading supervisions, seminars, lots of reading etc.

I wouldn't say its at the level of medicine or law in terms of work load, but its pretty challenging - certainly not a 'mickey mouse' subject.

And Im active in student theatre hah!
    Man I wish I was Cambs material. That sounds like fantastic teaching
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by RamocitoMorales)
    What we need is a Prime Minister who graduated from Aberdeen.

I don't trust a man whose hair is a different colour to his eyebrows. God knows what colour his pubes are
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Aj12)
    I don't trust a man whose hair is a different colour to his eyebrows. God knows what colour his pubes are
    I dont get it. How can his eyebrows colour is black when his hair is grey.

(Original post by Aj12)
    Colour coordination would say white, given that his body hair is black.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bloomblaze)

IF IT MAKES YOU FEEL ANY BETTER, JOHN BROWNE, THE INDIVIDUAL WHO DID ''THE BROWNE REVIEW'' IE THE INIDVIDUAL WHO PROPOSED £9000 TUITION FEES, DID A PHYSICS DEGREE AT CAMBRIDGE (he was awared a first class bachelors)
    If he got a first class honours degree he probably didn't have to work any part time jobs to support himself through university. So £9000 is probably pocket change for him.

ReputationRep:
    moving on swiftly..

ReputationRep:
    It does explain a lot.

Social Anthropology has a massive left-wing bias and is not at all a science: hence any sort of outcome can be predicted. It's quite unempirical.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.