Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Speech from a 15 y/o on fees to an audience of 1000+ Watch

ReputationRep:
    He's a miniature Tony Blair! So... many... pauses....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    However, it was vacuous, insubstantial rhetoric written to preach to the choir and gratify those who already share his views.

In a 15 year old, I think that's forgiveable.

For those middle-aged people who have been around far-left circles saying the same thing over and over again longer than we've been alive however...

ReputationRep:
    Incredibly arrogant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince Rhyus)
    In a 15 year old, I think that's forgiveable.

For those middle-aged people who have been around far-left circles saying the same thing over and over again longer than we've been alive however...
    Is we simply meant to applaud and 'gaga goo goo' over his farts because he's 15? :hmmm:

I appreciate that he did actually have good delivery, but the rubbish he was coming out with was simply irritating. Incredibly irritating.

ReputationRep:
    He was preaching to the choir, yes, but I think that was the intention of the speech and not necessarily a bad thing.

He didn't even attempt to change anyone's views on the matter, just renew the 'fighting spirits' in the proponents of the protests that are losing hope of achieving anything - something which I think he did quite well.

The content had little substance, but for what I interprate to be the aim of the speech, I'd probably give it a 9 or a 10.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Some random guy)
    I'm sorry but he completely cracks me up. His arrogant attitude and insult of the police force disgusts me.
    Precisely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    He sounds like a toff
    Yet he's the next Ed Miliband.

*facepalm*

ReputationRep:
    Repeated his points a few times, I realise it's fro emphasis, but it came over as padding, and unessecary. Also there was little to no fact, and this stuff about being ideaological? It's rubbish, there's nothing ideaological about it. It's people not wanting to pay for something. No great ideal there.

The delivery was to fast, it was rushed like someone gushing, rather than making a reasoned argument.

Content - 6
    Delivery - 6

ReputationRep:
    Good delivery, not much substance. He shouldn't have made the comment about the police, it makes him sound like one of those people who go to ox-brigde and think their better than everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    This kid deserves to get happy slapped.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty condescending remark about the police there. Reasonable speaker but more pizazz than content. Let's not forget the ****ing sycophants in the audience laughing at his every word either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    Is we simply meant to applaud and 'gaga goo goo' over his farts because he's 15? :hmmm:

I appreciate that he did actually have good delivery, but the rubbish he was coming out with was simply irritating. Incredibly irritating.
    That's why I asked for separate comments on delivery from content.

I'm sure we've sat through speeches where:
    1) We've appreciated that the speaker is a good public speaker, but disagreed with the content - sometimes quite strongly
    2) We've been appalled at how poor a speaker is, even though the subject and content is fascinating.

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't finish that.

ReputationRep:
    well, that was embarrassing. i imagine he'll be quite interesting when he's older and actually bothers to understand what he's on about.
    i feel sorry for him when he watches this back in 2 or 3 years time and has the cringe of his life.

ReputationRep:
    Oh come on, it's not Vietnam.
    We are not informed, we don't have a big energy, we're split apart and there is no solidarity between us. We're not going to have a Woodstock.
    The generation at the heart of the fight back? What a joke! This is a selfish venture (as I've said before, not a bad sort of selfish, but all the same, we are the ones profiting), it's not like we're putting heart, body and soul into fighting for something ideological and altruistic. This is just people complaining because they have to pay their own way. Lots of people don't know what they're marching for, apart from the fact that if they do, they might not have to pay £9k in tuition fees. Have they considered the fine line between us having a right and their having a duty? Have they thought about the reasons for their claim of education being a right, not a mutual agreement between someone with knowledge and someone without?
    How easy is it to join a facebook group? Pretty easy. And we should know...

ReputationRep:
    he took a pop at the police for not being educated? wtf, i am sure there are policemen and women out there who are smarter than him, the sanctimonious little prick
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Heard the 'crack' about the police being uneducated and turned it off, it was getting very annoying. I hope that this guy does have to pay increased tuition fees!

ReputationRep:
    I love how people are defending the police :facepalm:

You wouldn't be defending them if you were getting thrown over walls and punched and pushed whilst trying to get out to go to the toilet or leave and go home, it was freezing cold.

Also, as for those saying about its all rhetorical? The most persuasive speeches in history have been the same. Look at MLK, Hitler and Goebbels. They all influenced people and were a good method - a reason people still use them today.

He's only 15 so I don't think he deserves the slack he is getting on here. At least he has the *******s to stand up for what is right and not be bullied by bigot politicians and I also think he came across confidently for his age. I respect him far more than the chav's hanging around Britain's corner shops intimidating older people. Good on him for standing up in what he believes.

Anarchy rules !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Orange)
    he took a pop at the police for not being educated? wtf, i am sure there are policemen and women out there who are smarter than him, the sanctimonious little prick
    No police don't need qualifications. I know people in school who got F's at GCSE and are in the police.

They are not that clever the majority of them believe me. The only ones that are, are the ones higher up as dog handlers, plain clothes etc.

The beat bobbies are usually a lot of grapes short of a bunch. I've spoke to some of them and they are so uneducated its unbelievable that such people are in force. Not all of them though, I must admit there are obviously clever ones in the Police Force.

He merely made that statement as a smart remark to have a joke, basically it was a retaliation to the kettling technique used by the police - which I was in and it was very annoying as they would force you back and people were getting crushed and it was chaotic. The police should have filtered us through slowly instead of keeping us kettled for so long. I lost a lot of respect for police that day as I nearly got punched for asking to go to the toilet.

ReputationRep:
    Privately educated gimp alert. He sounds like Tony Blair.

It's good that he's on the right side, though. Although his contempt for the policing profession is disgusting.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.