Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I got a 3rd in my degree : ( Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jmv22)
    I just think that when she was getting a 2:2 for her modules, surely she should have been bright enough to realise that she should aim higher and work harder? There are plenty of graduates with good degrees who can't get jobs, so why should she be any better?

Long story short- she probably won't get financial help. She can try and get experience in something she's interested in..... if she even knows what she's interested in. She's ruined a great opportunity. End of story.
    you know what i cba to argue with you.... so anyway i hope you have a nice life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jmv22)
    I'm sorry but what the hell were you doing for all that time to get such a poor result???! You're either lazy or not very intelligent. Ask Tesco's for a job.
    LOL Tescos are already full mate, where do you think all the graduates with 2:1s that couldn't get on graduate schemes ended up working.

ReputationRep:
    Kudos on wanting to improve yourself. A more worthwhile route from this point to the top is through gaining work experience. More paper chasing right now is not going to help you nearly as much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jmv22)
    I'm sorry but what the hell were you doing for all that time to get such a poor result???! You're either lazy or not very intelligent. Ask Tesco's for a job. There are people out there who don't get the chance to do a degree, so people like you who waste the opportunity make me sick. I don't care if you give me negative feedback, it's my opinion. Why should you get more financial help? So you can sit on your bum and fail again? So nothing at all will be paid back? And don't give me rubbish about being ill or having family problems because many of us have terrible problems and still succeed.
    I don't understand why you got such a shock when you were getting 2:2 or above for most subjects... you were actually PLEASED with that? :confused: Wtf?

I have asked questions on here about really bad problems which have been through no fault of my own and have got some really bad comments. I see this as completely your fault and just can't understand why people are being so kind. :confused:

Enjoy signing on every week at the Job Centre.
    people like you make me cringe. you think playing the stern hand makes you seem more mature, but really you are trying too hard and it makes you look like a complete mug. Not much difference between you and the 6 year old girl playing "boyfriends and girlfriends" I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    Just for info (as I'm not English), can someone explain what 1st, 2nd and 3rd means in percentage or regular grades? I have seen some images of it on wikipedia but I don't think it's completely accurate, at least not comparable with where I study.

(Original post by *Lollo*)
      Just for info (as I'm not English), can someone explain what 1st, 2nd and 3rd means in percentage or regular grades? I have seen some images of it on wikipedia but I don't think it's completely accurate, at least not comparable with where I study.
      Rough guide:

1st: 70%+
      Upper 2nd (2.1): 60-69%
      Lower 2nd (2.2): 50-59%
      3rd: 45-49%
      Pass: 40-44%

This is from Wikipedia, and some places may have their own marking/grading criteria but you get the general idea.

As for the OP: yes, it's not ideal, but you've got a degree. This puts you in something like the top 1% of the world population. I would stop paper chasing and try to avoid academia from now on - you've got the third, it'll dog you pretty much everywhere. Try and get some work experience and pull yourself up the hard way.

Bear in mind some of the richest people in the UK have very poor educational backgrounds... this should give you some motivation.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ch0llima)
      Rough guide:

1st: 70%+
      Upper 2nd (2.1): 60-69%
      Lower 2nd (2.2): 50-59%
      3rd: 45-49%
      Pass: 40-44%

This is from Wikipedia, and some places may have their own marking/grading criteria but you get the general idea.
      Thanks, I suppose my school have a different system, because a 70% score is a C and 80% is a B and we need to get 60% (a D) in order to pass the class or else it must be redone.

Is it possible for the OP to resit some of them?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by jmv22)
      I'm sorry but what the hell were you doing for all that time to get such a poor result???! You're either lazy or not very intelligent. Ask Tesco's for a job. There are people out there who don't get the chance to do a degree, so people like you who waste the opportunity make me sick. I don't care if you give me negative feedback, it's my opinion. Why should you get more financial help? So you can sit on your bum and fail again? So nothing at all will be paid back? And don't give me rubbish about being ill or having family problems because many of us have terrible problems and still succeed.
      I don't understand why you got such a shock when you were getting 2:2 or above for most subjects... you were actually PLEASED with that? :confused: Wtf?

I have asked questions on here about really bad problems which have been through no fault of my own and have got some really bad comments. I see this as completely your fault and just can't understand why people are being so kind. :confused:

Enjoy signing on every week at the Job Centre.
      I'd fail you. Sorry.
      Not a third or a 2:2, just out right fail. You do not pass your troll degree.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by thompson19)
      I really don't know what to do, I got a 3rd in my degree last year and didn't even go to graduation because I was so ashamed of myself.
      I studied a foundation degree in business which I passed and then completed a top up year. My result was actually a shock because I mainly got 2:2 or above for most subjects but because I only just scrapped a pass on my dissertation it brought my overall grade right down down.

I really want to study another degree e.g. Marketing Management because i'm more so interested in this topic and want to prove to myself that I can change the overall result. I need to know if I would be eligable to move 240 of my credits from my foundation degree to complete a top up year for another degree and if so how much will this cost me, how can I find this out?? More importantly will LEA fund me for another year?? Is it going to cost me £3000 x2 just because I already have a degree??

My friend talked about converting my degree to another degree but again how do I go about this??? I really want to try and sort this out before the fees go up!!! Can someone please help me!!??
      At least tell me you were partying and getting laid all this time? Please at least give me that.

ReputationRep:
      ELQ fees will apply because you already have a degree. You could try the OU for the second degree, though, but you might have to fund it yourself.

Another possibility is to try and get a place on a postgrad diploma. You'd avoid ELQ fees and if you do well, might be allowed to progress onto a master's.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.