Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Generally companies like IE because:
    • They can easily update it via WSUS
    • It's installed by default on any windows machines
    • They can easily control various settings via Group Policy
    • It's what most users are used to because it's installed by default on their home PC's

This doesn't mean that IE is more secure than anything else but in a corporate environment it's much easier to lock down like that. All the points above can be done for firefox but it requires additional effort from the Admin.

(Source: I do this sort of thing for a living - and wish I got £200k for it, in reality it's a lot less)

ReputationRep:
    IE7 is ok, but don't use it with TSR, there's something about this site it doesn't agree with :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, at my college IE is the standard. I simply install Chrome every time I use a computer, it's a bit of a pain but only takes a minute or so and once you get on there it's soooo much faster than IE.

ReputationRep:
    Works fine for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    Whilst I did find the Zune rather awesome, I'm going to use its market-share of the MP3 player industry as evidence that it has fallen flat on its face. As for the Windows Phone platform, I don't think anybody with brains would opt for Windows above the iPhone and Android platforms. And Internet Explorer speaks for itself. No one with two braincells to rub together would willingly inflict IE on themselves.
    I see. Well, I'll try and justify my opinions then.
    If you try and judge by market share, things just don't work. Consider Opera vs IE/Firefox/Chrome. Opera is hardly flat on it's face. But then let us also note that you were referring to the year '2010' - considering the last zune release was in 2009, I feel that the shortage of market share is more through lack of trying than anything else.
    And I will say that Windows Phone 7 is quite slick (moreso than iphone I think) when I had a go on one and from what I have read is an impressive step forward from 6.x. I point you to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Phone_7#Reception
    Internet explorer....since we're talking about 2010, let's consider the 2010 effort of IE, namely IE9 (admittedly it hasn't been released yet, but it is still something that Microsoft are doing in 2010). As has already been stated a few times on the thread, IE9 is supposed to actually be quite good and certainly does quite well in standards tests (which has always been a sticking point in the past). I personally have not tried it considering what I've heard, it seems IE might be worth re-judging.

ReputationRep:
    IE used to be absolutely dire.
    These days it's not so bad at all (and actually standards compliant, wow), it's merely mediocre and inoffensive.

I use firefox on my machine (I <3 extensions), and on the machines in the Linux software lab in the engineering department (which are the only ones I use with any regularity here).
    I'm not opposed to using a relatively recent version of IE or any other respectable browser where necessary though, and I do from time to time.

ReputationRep:
    Firefox ftw.

(Original post by Broderss)
    That's why I like it :ahee:

But I find it easier to use than FF. FF is too much like IE - too cluttered (at least when I used it). I like my web browsers to be clean, simple but powerful.
    Fx is descended from the same browser as IE, so they're sort of like two sides of one coin.

And if you want a really clean, simple browser... try netsurf.

(Original post by OceanInTheSky)
    Most universities won't let you install new browsers, or they'd be overrun by students installing all sorts of crap on their computers. You just have to deal with whatever outdated version of IE they're peddling.
    Thankfully, being on the Engineering and Computing network at my place, I can run whatever software I like, provided it won't damage the machines or network. That's personal permission from the admin himself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    Fx is descended from the same browser as IE, so they're sort of like two sides of one coin.

If you're implying that IE is derived from Netscape Navigator, I think that's a bit tenuous...
    (I had fond memories of using Netscape)

ReputationRep:

What exactly do you mean by descended? They both have links to mosaic, but neither have any mosaic code any more. I assume you're talking more about the legacy and ideas behind the browser?

ReputationRep:
    IE9 is a huge step forward, only issue is it crashes alot at the moment. I know its Beta, but i'm on the Chrome Dev channel (so not even Beta) and its rock solid.

Microsoft are going to have to change their release cycle though, up until now they have only updated with each new operating system. Meanwhile Firefox, Chrome and Safari are constantly updated even if its only point releases they still add additional standards support. I'm assuming IE9 is going to be different and not wait for Windows 8 which isn't due until 2012.

(Original post by JGR)
    If you're implying that IE is derived from Netscape Navigator, I think that's a bit tenuous...
    (I had fond memories of using Netscape)
    See below.

(Original post by Chrosson)
    What exactly do you mean by descended? They both have links to mosaic, but neither have any mosaic code any more. I assume you're talking more about the legacy and ideas behind the browser?
    They're both descended from NCSA Mosaic's code, even if no code remains any longer. In the same way that Plan 9 and MacOS X share ancestry - both are ultimately descended from Research Unix code (Plan 9 grew out of Unix 10, though by the time the first release was made, there was no Unix code left except the rc shell; MacOS X is BSD, which came from Unix 7, with a fancy shell added).

ReputationRep:
    They're both descended from NCSA Mosaic's code, even if no code remains any longer. In the same way that Plan 9 and MacOS X share ancestry - both are ultimately descended from Research Unix code (Plan 9 grew out of Unix 10, though by the time the first release was made, there was no Unix code left except the rc shell; MacOS X is BSD, which came from Unix 7, with a fancy shell added).
    Haha, I was going to bring up unix. I accept the link from a historical POV, but software evolves so quickly I think 17 years is a bit much to be still calling them the flip side of a coin to each other - by now it is entirely possible that the internals have completely changed.

ReputationRep:
    GC works wonders! Definitely reccomend it!

ReputationRep:
    In other news, grass is still green...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    A far fairer test for the "most functional browser" for the general public would be to get a brand new windows machine, download the various browsers, and ask an unskilled user to perform a variety of tasks on each one, including visiting a variety of old and new websites, use a few forums, watch a few videos, play a few flash games. You and I both know which one would give him the least trouble.
    But very few true noobs still exist heck ive taught my grandad to use a Mac. For me IE is purelly on the machine for microsoft sites that demand it other wise bye bye never had any viruses since I destroyed all links to the bloody thing. So windows = FF or chrome. Mac = safari all the way

ReputationRep:
    They're both descended from NCSA Mosaic's code, even if no code remains any longer.
    At that level you could pretty much say any web browser is the same. They all grew out of being able to render HTML.

Even in the Days of Netscape 3 vs Ie3/4 they were very different products.

ReputationRep:
    IE 9 is actually really good - amazing step forward tbh

(Original post by -WhySoSerious?)
    IE 9 is actually really good - amazing step forward tbh
    This. The scrolling on IE 9 is so :coma:. It's very different to browsers I've used in the past. Feels fluid.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.