Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What the hell - suddenly a social outcast =/ watch

ReputationRep:
    I know what you're feeling OP. My best friend is the type that can be amazing and such a laugh- but also is the type to side with whoever she thinks is most 'powerful' in the situation. It means that by herself, I love her to pieces, and then as soon as we're in any sort of group situation, she'll make fun of me, or ignore me, because she wants to make sure she's best friends with everyone else.
    I have lots of other friends, so I'm okay really, but it does get so frustrating!!
    A friend of mine turned to me the other day, and just said, "MyBestFriend is so two faced! What the hell!", and I just felt so relieved that someone else had noticed what she was like.
    But yeah People are dicks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Final Fantasy)
    You are naive and living in a bubble.
    Lol... How old are you? I hope your under 20 so that you are just being niave... If your over your just trying too hard...

You know?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by AidyD)
    Lol... How old are you? I hope your under 20 so that you are just being niave... If your over your just trying too hard...

You know?
    Irrelevant, your post is ironic, I could now ask you the same question. But judging by your inability to spell "naive" and differentiate between "your" and "you're", I'd say you're around 12, give or a take a year.

You know? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    When a person marries someone, they become husband and wife, and for their sakes, entrust each other with their life. I am talking about best friends. I am not basing my argument from age. Going by my definition, best friends and close friends are different. We're talking about BEST (which typically starts in primary school with the whole 'bestest friend' phase). Please try harder. :rolleyes:

If to you, best friend is the same as close friend and doesn't include the criteria of entrusting one's life in someone else's hand, then fair enough - I'll agree with that, since I've seen it and it's common.

Please don't mention any marriage (or family/parents) analogies again, I'm only referring to my definition of best friend.
    I didn't agree with you until I thought about it twice, but I see your point.
    When i was a few years younger, I would have trusted my life with 5 or 6 people (and probably be dead now if the situation had arisen). I agree with your original quote about actually entrusting your life to someone, it's not something you can genuinely trust most friends with. Honestly, maybe especially being female, maybe it has no bearing really, but I think friends will quite quickly stab you in the back if it will help them. If I'm totally honest, I would say actually I only have one friend who might die for me. When i was 18, i would have said 5 or 6 people, but it wouldn't have been true. It would be what I liked to think about our friendship. we would tell each other we would die for each other, but seriously?! Course we wouldn't. I have close friends, who I would tell anything to and trust them not to tell a soul, but not that I would trust my life with. If push came to shove, most people will save themselves over you hands down unless you're related or incredibly close.
    Like you say, it depends on the definition of best friend you have.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by alibobs)
    I didn't agree with you until I thought about it twice, but I see your point.
    When i was a few years younger, I would have trusted my life with 5 or 6 people (and probably be dead now if the situation had arisen). I agree with your original quote about actually entrusting your life to someone, it's not something you can genuinely trust most friends with. Honestly, maybe especially being female, maybe it has no bearing really, but I think friends will quite quickly stab you in the back if it will help them. If I'm totally honest, I would say actually I only have one friend who might die for me. When i was 18, i would have said 5 or 6 people, but it wouldn't have been true. It would be what I liked to think about our friendship. we would tell each other we would die for each other, but seriously?! Course we wouldn't. I have close friends, who I would tell anything to and trust them not to tell a soul, but not that I would trust my life with. If push came to shove, most people will save themselves over you hands down unless you're related or incredibly close.
    Like you say, it depends on the definition of best friend you have.
    Pretty much. And for the rare few that have a person (not family or partner) whom they can trust their life with, there's usually only one person. As you've said yourself, you have one person who you think would probably die for you.

Definitions are always important and they always cause misunderstandings, which is why I stated what I meant by a 'best friend'. Trusting one with your life along with unconditional loyalty, which given the former, would be true anyway.

ReputationRep:
    When a person marries someone, they become husband and wife, and for their sakes, entrust each other with their life. I am talking about best friends. I am not basing my argument from age. Going by my definition, best friends and close friends are different. We're talking about BEST (which typically starts in primary school with the whole 'bestest friend' phase). Please try harder. :rolleyes:

If to you, best friend is the same as close friend and doesn't include the criteria of entrusting one's life in someone else's hand, then fair enough - I'll agree with that, since I've seen it and it's common.

Please don't mention any marriage (or family/parents) analogies again, I'm only referring to my definition of best friend.
    Are you still so sure on your "distinctions" between a best friend and close friend?:
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/best+friend

http://thesaurus.com/browse/best%20f...utmk=180106788

It may just because we have different views on things, but for me when I am to marry someone I want it to be with a guy I consider a best friends. It's exactly the same concept. That's what many people base their marriage off. It's one of the reasons my parents got married together, because they were best friends then became a couple which later resulted in marriage.

Same concept.

ReputationRep:
    Irrelevant, your post is ironic, I could now ask you the same question. But judging by your inability to spell "naive" and differentiate between "your" and "you're", I'd say you're around 12, give or a take a year.

So your now basing another thing like spelling something incorrectly as a reason to say that someone is 12? That's interesting.

ReputationRep:

But your opinion sounds like it was formulated through the mind of a 12 year old boy trying to act aloof.

That's indefensible, there is no comeback to that? I can simply state 'typo' and 'couldn't care less about grammar in random internet thread number 112233,212332,3333'.

What defence to you have for me calling you a retard based on your previous post?
    To say there is 'no such thing as best friends, and that anyone who thinks so is naive'?

You can quite easily find quotes from the most intelligent people on the earth who state they have best friends, from scholars to self-made millionaires.
    You are blatantly stupid, unless you are a naive teenager trying too hard to appear superior?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Cassandra_Z)
    Stated by the following website:
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/best+friend

http://thesaurus.com/browse/best%20f...utmk=180106788

It may just because we have different views on things, but for me when I am to marry someone I want it to be with a guy I consider a best friends. It's exactly the same concept. That's what many people base their marriage off. It's one of the reasons my parents got married together, because they were best friends then became a couple which later resulted in marriage.

Same concept.
    Yes, when you marry the man (whom you entrust your life with, and thus, by my definition, a best friend), he becomes your husband. As I've said, if there is such a person, it's usually only one. In your case, it's a temporary thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alibobs)
    If I'm totally honest, I would say actually I only have one friend who might die for me.
    That's disturbing

ReputationRep:
    Stop kissing ass and doing favours all the time, you're pretty much screaming to be used. There's no such thing as best friends and given the right incentive, anyone can turn against you or go behind your back. If you're feeling angry and betrayed, then good, at least you've now learned an important lesson... for your sake, I hope.
    God it must be depressing to be you :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    I did not tell you to live in the real world, learn to read. :rolleyes:

I edited my post long before, for you to see that my definition of 'best friend' is someone whom you can entrust your whole life with. Yes, people do that, but then they become more than best friends eventually. If you're definition of 'best friend' is a really close friend whom you can rely on and trust, then I agree that these people exist. Whether or not I have any of these is completely irrelevant.
    My mistake, you said best friends don't exist in the real world. That sounds much better :rolleyes:

The bit in bold - absolute rubbish. I trust my best friend with my life, but what? That doesn't count because were not going to run off and get married and become more than best friends? :lolwut: Your justifications of what you've said just sound more and more bonkers.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by AidyD)
    But your opinion sounds like it was formulated through the mind of a 12 year old boy trying to act aloof.

That's indefensible, there is no comeback to that? I can simply state 'typo' and 'couldn't care less about grammar in random internet thread number 112233,212332,3333'.

What defence to you have for me calling you a retard based on your previous post?
    To say there is 'no such thing as best friends, and that anyone who thinks so is naive'?

You can quite easily find quotes from the most intelligent people on the earth who state they have best friends, from scholars to self-made millionaires.
    You are blatantly stupid, unless you are a naive teenager trying too hard to appear superior?
    The naive call was intended for the person whom I posted to, based on the way he/she posted to me (otherwise I would have left it out), not the whole bloody world.

Obviously I'm not saying it with 100% certainty, since to do so would be illogical, I implied exceptions in my other posts going by my definition (best friend; entrusting life in that friend; usually one person and not referring to family or partners).

You're a retard for pulling arguments by authority and popularity. Nice try with twisting what I said moron.

What's this boner you have with 'trying too hard'? Are you a naive teenager trying too hard?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by sarahthegemini)
    My mistake, you said best friends don't exist in the real world. That sounds much better :rolleyes:

The bit in bold - absolute rubbish. I trust my best friend with my life, but what? That doesn't count because were not going to run off and get married and become more than best friends? :lolwut: Your justifications of what you've said just sound more and more bonkers.
    Of course it counts you idiot. If you entrust your entire life into another person's hand (going by my definition), they are your best friend. Couldn't care less what you do with them.

ReputationRep:
    Of course it counts you idiot. If you entrust your entire life into another person's hand (going by my definition), they are your best friend. Couldn't care less what you do with them.
    Lol, you've just contradicted everything you've said. Well done. :top:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by riotgrrl)
    God it must be depressing to be you :lolwut:
    I get by.

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    Dont worry im going through some really really weird stuff atm too. But it does get better i promise.
    I found out there were rumors flying around my school that i had a brain tumor. (I dont and really wouldnt wish that on anybody.) so you can imagine how gutted i am.
    it really does get better. Maybe those people arent worth your time?? x
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by sarahthegemini)
    Lol, you've just contradicted everything you've said. Well done. :top:
    Thanks. It's been a pleasure

Oh and the bit in bold you quoted? Read the sentence after it. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, when you marry the man (whom you entrust your life with, and thus, by my definition, a best friend), he becomes your husband. As I've said, if there is such a person, it's usually only one. In your case, it's a temporary thing.
    You do know that you are agreeing with me and therefore stating a contradicting statement for your argument?

You can try and insult me as much as you want, but you still have not given me any facts or statements in return. Using the method of trying to insult me to disguise the fact that you really don't have anything to back up your argument is petty and so I'll leave you be with your comments.

Quoted by FINAL FANTASY:
    "There's no such thing as best friends and given the right incentive, anyone can turn against you or go behind your back."

ReputationRep:
    You're a retard for pulling arguments by authority and popularity. Nice try with twisting what I said moron.
    (original retard post by Final Fantasy saying something really retarded before trying to cover himself from being pointed out as a retard)

Stop kissing ass and doing favours all the time, you're pretty much screaming to be used. There's no such thing as best friends and given the right incentive, anyone can turn against you or go behind your back. If you're feeling angry and betrayed, then good, at least you've now learned an important lesson... for your sake, I hope.

I'm twisting things? Its patently obvious you are in a desperate bid to save your already small e-penis from shrinking ever further, alongside your retard thought process that is rivalled by any typical 12 year old.

Like I said originally... I hope your under 20 so you can put this to being naive and your not just another internet retard.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 3, 2010
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.