Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should the government provide EVERYONE with a winter survival kit? Watch

ReputationRep:
    No. I don't need that, my family doesn't need that... if you're going to give it out, give it to someone who needs it. And you'll probably find most people have a hat, gloves, raincoat.

ReputationRep:
    This is a ridiculous idea. People don't need all that stuff, and when they do, they normally buy it. And you don't even need thermal hats/gloves/coats for the winter. I have a waterproof coat, no hat and...

...your typical magic gloves. (But in adult size xD)

Even people who are poor or their parents don't earn much could afford a cheap waterproof, wellies and a hats/gloves.

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm2:

I hate people like you OP. I bet you're that person that when it gets abit cold, runs down to the shop and buys a dozen loaves of bread 'incase', arent you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CountMancula)
    Blow torch will melt ice. However this can be removed.
    Where would you it though? It's not like the country is going to have a huge mountain of snow.

(Original post by hollywoodbudgie)
    Seems like just another excuse to raise taxes. If you want these things, get it yerself yea cheapscapes. :shakecane:
    Exactly, should be spent on something we get more of; Rain! Free umbrellas for all!

(Original post by M_E_X)
    Do you know approximately how much 250kg of grit would cost? And how heavy it would be? It's a lot of salt.
    I think the winter predictions are over-estimated.

(Original post by ArtGoblin)
    You're missing snow shoes. I could have done with those yesterday when I went out in shoes with no grip on the soles. They would be a lot more useful that a blowtorch. I haven't got a job though, so I guess I'd have to manage without.
    I think the whole idea was a joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    :facepalm2:

I hate people like you OP. I bet you're that person that when it gets abit cold, runs down to the shop and buys a dozen loaves of bread 'incase', arent you?
    I hate you too. Nah, the cold doesn't bother me too much tbh.

ReputationRep:
    A 'winter survival kit' is a bit extreme, don't you think? :confused:

Soon we'll be having 'summer survival packs'.

ReputationRep:
    With the recent hit of bad weather, is it about time that the people of Britain receive a winter pack for the next few months? This would be paid by the taxpayer (only an extra pound) and only eligible to only those who work. The winter pack would contain the following in a large rucksack (colours can be picked):

- Thermal gloves
    - Facemask
    - Long johns/leotard
    - Woolly hat
    - Scarf
    - Torch
    - Blowtorch
    - Ice scraper
    - Flask
    - Rain Mac
    - Thermal coat
    - Thermal vest
    - Thermal socks
    - Boots
    - Goggles

It would also come with a shovel and 250kg of grit for those with a driveway. For an extra amount of money, you can apply for your own grit bin outside the house.

Discuss.

Pshh our winters aren't that bad, while the North Atalantic Oscillation is in negative we will have cold snaps like this, but as soon as it goes back to positive winter will just be mild and wet again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    Don't you think those who need it most would be those who don't work (ie homeless, elderly, children, etc)? :facepalm:
    Wow! :eek: you actually have a heart and can think logically! O.o

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    Is that really bad to do?

No for real, I actually do that but it's not 'just incase' it's because then, by the time the food runs out, the snow would be gone.
    I dont mind the cold that much though, I just like to avoid it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katyness)
    Wow! :eek: you actually have a heart and can think logically! O.o
    Implying I am a self centred bigot

ReputationRep:
    It's never that cold. And anyway, most people have all the winter clothes already. Or they could just wear all the other clothes they have on top of each other! Presto! You see, it's really only the poor (generalising people who don't work) that can't afford leggings, thermals etc... and so survival kit fail.

Keep the blowtorch. That's perhaps the only thing I would want. I'd use it to meld the gravel to my grit so that my driveway becomes invincible!

If you're supplying blowtorches, you gotta supply some cross-country skis (just in case there's ever the need to blowtorch a large distance), and a Mr Plow plough-- jacket and all. In fact, let's go crazy and order ourselves some grow-your-own-husky-and-sherpa. Phew. Those British roads are so treacherous with the snow. Thank god I'm not paying for it.

ReputationRep:
    On second thoughts, I've decided your survival kit does not go far enough. It should also include instructions on how to build an igloo, 100kg of fire to melt snow and ice with, your own personal Chris Ryan, and a large group of penguins trained to huddle around you for warmth.

ReputationRep:
    Is that really bad to do?

No for real, I actually do that but it's not 'just incase' it's because then, by the time the food runs out, the snow would be gone.
    I dont mind the cold that much though, I just like to avoid it
    Well when there is no bread left on the shelves because its all in your kitchen, yes it is.

There wouldnt be food 'shortages' if people didnt panic buy. Its only a bit of cold, not the end of civilisation as we know it.

ReputationRep:
    I hate you too. Nah, the cold doesn't bother me too much tbh.
    I suppose hate was to strong, but you get my point. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    No, it should only go to homeless people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    Implying I am a self centred bigot
    Your posts say that about you. Thus, I am shocked you're a human being after all

(Original post by CB91)
    Well when there is no bread left on the shelves because its all in your kitchen, yes it is.

There wouldnt be food 'shortages' if people didnt panic buy. Its only a bit of cold, not the end of civilisation as we know it.
    Ooops I'll control it from now on.
    I'll also spread the word to other bears ready for hibernation like myself

ReputationRep:
    Your posts say that about you. Thus, I am shocked you're a human being after all

Ooops I'll control it from now on.
    I'll also spread the word to other bears ready for hibernation like myself
    You'll survive.

It's not like you'll bearly survive. :awesome:

:getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    easy enough to get by in winter I reck.

all about them layers son

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greebo-man)
    easy enough to get by in winter I reck.

all about them layers son
    It is very rare to find someone that agrees with this statement. Most people I know, prefer either to stay at home or come to college with a cardigan and complain that is cold I sure dont get society this days...

ReputationRep:
    Sensible people already have a kit like this on hand for bad weather.

250kg is a bit much though !

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.