Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Donate blood Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles0ox)
    REALLY REALLY WANT TO
    but i dont weigh enough!!
    does anyone know if i can get around this restriction? im healthy just little lol
    Same! It's ridiculous, why don't they just take less from the small people?

Oh, and I'm an AB-.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    7 stone 7 ish
    it goes up and down though but not by much
    need to be 7 Stone 12 i think
    Well if you are like me you can gain about 3 pounds by drinking loadsa water =D

Maybe try after Christmas when you'll have winter weight?

ReputationRep:
    7 stone 7 ish
    it goes up and down though but not by much
    need to be 7 Stone 12 i think
    I need 7KG

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ragaa)
    Each year many die because of the lack of blood, so why don't we come forward to donate.
    I have donated and it doesn't hurt or affect you much.

If you could please donate.
    And put this in your signature.

thank you
    I would love to give blood, but apparently they don't like gays.... bit pathetic really. Their loss at the end of the day. The moment they lift the ****ing stupid ban I'm there.

ReputationRep:
    REALLY REALLY WANT TO
    but i dont weigh enough!!
    does anyone know if i can get around this restriction? im healthy just little lol
    Whenever I've given blood they don't check your weight- they'll just ask you if you're over the limit if you look thin- I gave blood 2 weeks ago but then found out afterwards that I was under the weight limit- oops, but I didn't faint or anything...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Larrabee)
    Donors with the more common blood types are needed just as much as the rarer ones.

Remember, most of the recipients will come from the more common groups!

Yeah I know that's why I was disappointed when they couldn't find a vein.

Hopefully next time! I can give blood so I don't see why I shouldn't

I was (sad, I know) quite pleased that I was A+ and not O+... just that tiny bit rarer

ReputationRep:
    Why dont more people donate blood? Let me see.
    1. The majority of sessions are during the day when most people are at work/uni etc. Not forgetting the hour lunch breaks they all take at the same time (thus further eliminating further donoations). Do they expect people to take anual leave?
    2. The sessions are usually overcrowded and you end up having to wait hours if you didn't book in advance.
    3. Half the staff at these places are rude.
    4. Like above, the blood service seem to have this attitude that they are doing you [the donor] a favour. When it is the other way round.
    5. Discrimination against gay's, people on medication, former drug user's etc etc
    6. Can be painful :eek:, the wooziness and the not being allowed to excercise afterwards.
    7. No rewards (unless you count crisps, tea and a key ring).

ReputationRep:
    I've never donated but not that I wouldn't. I just haven't got round to it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrozzi)
    im a AB+ so theres not really much point in me donating tbh even though i have done it a cpl times
    You can still donate platelets, they don't have the different antigens that make red blood cells different groups.

ReputationRep:
    I've donated a few times All the nurses are really friendly! I was a bit scared of needles the first time, but just don't look after they've put the needle in, it doesn't hurt anymore anyway.

ReputationRep:
    My blood is too gay to save lives apparently.

ReputationRep:
    i like giving blood
    they give me foooood and drinks after

oh and i get this really cool card : D

ReputationRep:
    Basically, get over yourself.
    Same could be said for you, everything he said, admittedly bar the last one, is a valid point. Great you've done something helpful, that's no reason to be so full of yourself. Yeah there's ways round them like you pointed out, but they're not all as practical as you think. They really do need to make it easier to do.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I've done in the past, but I'm not allowed at th moment.

ReputationRep:
    Type O, My blood is the most common type.

I also can't donate blood, it would have an adverse effect on my swimming.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ocassus)
    Type O, My blood is the most common type.

I also can't donate blood, it would have an adverse effect on my swimming.
    Really? You mean longer term or having to miss a day's training?

ReputationRep:
    If he doesn't want to donate blood, he doesn't have to, but why come on here and list a lot of pretty flimsy excuses? He could have ignored the thread altogether since its obviously not something he's interested in.

What do you think they can do to make it easier? 24 hour donation sessions? Home visits?
    Each year many die because of the lack of blood, so why don't we come forward to donate.
    That's why he gave you the reasons for not donating.

And as I said, they're not flimsy excuses, the last aside. The service might work well for you, but for most it doesn't. People are busy, and the sessions are all on while they're most busy. That's bad enough as it is, but the staff rarely make it any better. You might have had good experiences with them, but I know more than enough that have had awful people doing it. You're right, they shouldn't be singing their praises, but they shouldn't be treat like cattle either.

As for how they can make it easier? Stop placing it in the middle of working hours! There's other small stuff they could do but that's the main thing. 9-12 and 1-4 is no good, everyone's just finished their breaks by then or not had them yet, and even if they're allowed a slightly extended break to do it, too many do feel woozy afterwards, they're in no state to work, they need to be doing it when people have their break, not having their own break then. And this one should be obvious, but god knows why it doesn't happen, weekends. I shouldn't have to say anything more there.

ReputationRep:
    Mmm yeah for me its a give-and-take thing

ReputationRep:
    Larabee (or whatever your name is). I have donated blood twice before so I know what I am talking about. And when I say the staff were rude, they behaved in a way that retail staff would be fired for. Eg, Shouting at me for not reading the entire folder (I only had it for two minutes), telling me to go away as they were having lunch, no pleases/thanks yous just smileless barking of orders instead. And believe it or not, not everyone resides in a major city so they do have to use tose infrequent 3 hour ones you get in church/town halls. As for not being able to excercise, people are very quick to judge men for being overweight-so yes it is important. And the thing about crisps/keyrings was meant to be light hearted-but hey, you're probably a QI/Mock the Week contestant(!).

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually not allowed to give blood. :sad:

Otherwise I would.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.