Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

how homophobic is it where you are Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm not really sure about where I am... In the lower years at school being gay was like announcing you had plague, but in sixth form people are much more comfortable admitting being gay to friends (never to the rest of class, but you generally notice who flirts more with the same gender). I've never thought about it around town, but I don't think Ilfracombe (Devon) is particularly homophobic. An english teacher left her husband for a woman and no one really cared, it was just good gossip for a few weeks.

ReputationRep:
    It is quite homophobic here in St Helens. It used to be quite bad when there was a gay night at one of the bars in town. They've stopped it because of the trouble.

I lived in Newton-le-Willows for a while and it is very homophobic in some parts. I knew a gay man in this town who ahd his windows smashed in, his cat poisoned, and in the end he had to be rehoused.

In some areas of Liverpool like Anfield, Bootle, and Crosby, it is rather bad. In fact, in Anfield you dare not be black. It is very racist. In this town some Asians opened a shop and they got bombed by gangs; got their windows smashed in and wrote racist stuff on the side-wall.

A young Asian boy was mauled by a hoodie's dog in Huyton, and a slightly effeminate young boy was killed by a group of school boys on the field nearby the John's Estate.

Then there was the young gay lad from the city centre (of Liverpool) who got knifed outside a gay club. Having walked past the gay bars and clubs there on the way back from work, I can tell you that sometimes I would see people just hurling homophobic abuse at gay men and women queing up to get in the clubs and bars.

ReputationRep:
    Not very homophobic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    It is quite homophobic here in St Helens. It used to be quite bad when there was a gay night at one of the bars in town. They've stopped it because of the trouble.

I lived in Newton-le-Willows for a while and it is very homophobic in some parts. I knew a gay man in this town who ahd his windows smashed in, his cat poisoned, and in the end he had to be rehoused.

In some areas of Liverpool like Anfield, Bootle, and Crosby, it is rather bad. In fact, in Anfield you dare not be black. It is very racist. In this town some Asians opened a shop and they got bombed by gangs; got their windows smashed in and wrote racist stuff on the side-wall.

A young Asian boy was mauled by a hoodie's dog in Huyton, and a slightly effeminate young boy was killed by a group of school boys on the field nearby the John's Estate.

Then there was the young gay lad from the city centre (of Liverpool) who got knifed outside a gay club. Having walked past the gay bars and clubs there on the way back from work, I can tell you that sometimes I would see people just hurling homophobic abuse at gay men and women queing up to get in the clubs and bars.
    yes i heard liverpool is quite racist and homophobic.and even more sexist lol

ReputationRep:
    very interesting lol

It's fine in central London. A few months back, I was sort of kissing this guy at a station in the cold, and a woman came up to tell us how cute we were ... so it's cool.

ReputationRep:
      nah people seldom come out where i live...

so, very homophobic

ReputationRep:
      Echoing what the fellow Liverpool resident said.

There are a lot of gay clubs though, so it's mix and match.

I've seen more racism in Manchester than I have Liverpool. Not very nice to see anywhere though.

*From Liverpool, living in Bangor for uni. Not much here in Bangor, just the banter!

ReputationRep:
      Very homophobic. It is illegal where I live (or lived, since I moved from Malaysia very recently).

That said, in Indonesia the barbers and hair stylists tend to be quite effeminate. Hmm...

ReputationRep:
      London is bigger than central London and if you regularly in other areas then you would see that it's relatively not accepted. You might see people actively stating their problem with you or just the usual tutting and looking at you in a strange way. I would say London, on the whole, is mixed or quite homophobic.

ReputationRep:
      I live near Brighton, so there isn't much of a problem, if at all, and most teachers around here live in Brighton and so stand up to any students who say "That's so gay" in secondary school. Amazing.

I haven't experienced any homophobic abuse, luckily (and I had all my comebacks ready and everything!)
      But there are some iffy areas around here, Hailsham probably being the worst in terms of homophobia.

Come down to Brighton - it's a hoot! There's even an annual naked bike ride here for charity. Literally the funniest thing.

ReputationRep:
      Wigan. One of the most homophobic places on earth in my opinion. There are just certain places gay people cannot risk going for fear of being knifed by some skinhead nutter.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by joshgold17)
      yes i heard liverpool is quite racist and homophobic.and even more sexist lol
      Yes because the entire population of Liverpool is homophobic and racist... and I don't know where you got the sexism bit from?

ReputationRep:
      Not very. There's a few gay bars in Newcastle and there doesn't seem to be many problems with it.

ReputationRep:
      very homophobic. stupid people.

ReputationRep:
      its not bad here

ReputationRep:
      im on TSR at the moment, so quite homophobic :p:

ReputationRep:
      It's extremely bad here in Northern Ireland.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008...fast-church-ad

Also one of our leading politicians, and the wife to our current First Minister, Iris Robinson, claimed that homosexuality was an "abomination" and it made her feel "sick" and "nauseous", and offered to refer homosexuals to a psychiatrist she knew. In a subsequent interview, Robinson defended her views, saying that "just as a murderer can be redeemed by the blood of Christ, so can a homosexual.... If anyone takes issue, they're taking issue with the word of God". Yet at the same time she was having an adulterous affair with a 19-year old man, (she's 61!) and at the same time stealing money, bribing and because of the expenses scandal was bringing in £571,939.41.
      But the response to her comments was even better than the hypocrisy of her morality. Thousands of gay people turned up at our parliamentary buildings dressed as her!

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/ne...-13926150.html

Read more: http://www.askscooby.com/profile/?u=...#ixzz1AxNbXydD

ReputationRep:
      I love in the countryside so very.

ReputationRep:
      I would say that Chicago is not very homophobic, it's one of the most liberal cities in America after all.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.