Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is this a punishable offence?! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilina)
    OMG a WHOLE YEAR?! jesus. . . sorry, I didn't realise it was that long... You're right, you really know what you're doing.

And yes. It is dangerous, calling me a 'killjoy' really doesn't change that fact.

It's people like you who cause insurance for men to be so high. Well done on screwing over your own gender

You would almost certainly not be insured if anything was to happen whilst dicking about in a car park anyway, so I doubt insurance companies would care as they are not taking the risk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFatController)
    You would almost certainly not be insured if anything was to happen whilst dicking about in a car park anyway, so I doubt insurance companies would care as they are not taking the risk
    What?

If you're paying for insurance then you're paying for insurance. . .

ReputationRep:
    Umm you will probably be charged under section 44 of the counter terrorism act you house will be raided in 3....2.....1.......bang......*mu ffled screams gunshots* the good news is the police hit the wrong house....the bad news your elderly neighbour was shot
    37 times.The officer felt threatened by her knitting needles and his mates joined in Jokes I respect teh law and teh popo

ReputationRep:
    What?

If you're paying for insurance then you're paying for insurance. . .
    Paying for insurance is not equal to being insured. If you break the terms and conditions of your cover, the insurance company will not pay out for any losses incurred whilst breaking those T+C's, and therefore for the duration of that activity you are not insured against any losses.

If I was to use my car as a minicab or take it round an off-road track, for instance, I would not be covered by my insurance - as it forbids this in the terms. I also imagine most companies would forbid their policyholders from engaging in 'reckless and dangerous operation of the insured vehicle' (I imagine it would be phrased a bit like that) - and therefore if you were to be dicking around in a car park doing J-turns, you wouldn't be covered.

If you aren't covered, the insurance company don't particularly care what you are doing, as they don't have to pay out anyway.

Furthermore, insurance quotes are based on statistics and not simple hearsay. The fact that young blokes do stuff like this does not affect the insurance quote per se - what affects it is the number of claims involve young male drivers. It's a purely statistical exercise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFatController)
    Paying for insurance is not equal to being insured. If you break the terms and conditions of your cover, the insurance company will not pay out for any losses incurred whilst breaking those T+C's, and therefore for the duration of that activity you are not insured against any losses.

If I was to use my car as a minicab or take it round an off-road track, for instance, I would not be covered by my insurance - as it forbids this in the terms. I also imagine most companies would forbid their policyholders from engaging in 'reckless and dangerous operation of the insured vehicle' (I imagine it would be phrased a bit like that) - and therefore if you were to be dicking around in a car park doing J-turns, you wouldn't be covered.

If you aren't covered, the insurance company don't particularly care what you are doing, as they don't have to pay out anyway.

Furthermore, insurance quotes are based on statistics and not simple hearsay. The fact that young blokes do stuff like this does not affect the insurance quote per se - what affects it is the number of claims involve young male drivers. It's a purely statistical exercise.
    The guy who hit my car was drag racing at 40 + mph through a car park, but his insurance still had to pay up. . . .

It's just classed as dangerous driving, if the OP hit another car, his insurance would still have had to pay.

You're telling me the two aren't linked?

ReputationRep:
    The guy who hit my car was drag racing at 40 + mph through a car park, but his insurance still had to pay up. . . .

It's just classed as dangerous driving, if the OP hit another car, his insurance would still have had to pay.

You're telling me the two aren't linked?
    No, what I'm saying is that underwriters base their quotes on solid statistical fact rather than hearsay or a general distrust of young males.

ReputationRep:
    No, when it comes to using what is essentially a lethal weapon, I'm merely sensible.

Edit: I was taught to drive by a police man
    You need to calm down love! All lads need to have a play on the ice in there cars! I did last week in a carpark with mates! So what! Its what ever lad wants to do is have fun!

I was also taught by a policeman

ReputationRep:
    Prison...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.